kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  04:48:06 AM  Show Profile
I have been thinking about homeschooling my 6 1/2 year old grand DD when school starts back next week. I have thought about this for some time but still have not totally made up my mind yet. And there are only a few days to go.

She's in 1st grade and super smart. She reads better than a 5th grader with all kinds of excitement. She loves to read. She is already doing nouns and verbs and all that. She likes math but it's not her strong point. Yet. She loves people and talking and playing.

But the problem is her teacher. She is an older lady and just a sour-puss, to put it lightly. I have never seen the woman smile. They use the color system and K is almost always on yellow and has been on red several times. That means a trip to the office. She has had to sit in the hall. She is now in a desk by herself in the back of the room. Has been for a few months now. It's like she's "the bad child". They have charts for the month, too. And she rarely gets smiley faces. Always frowns with notes about how bad she was or how she can't sit still or do her work. She dreads going to school each day.

So is this a good thing to do in the middle of the year? Her mom works FULL time. I mean dark to dark. So she can't go talk to the teacher. I have talked to several people who do homeschool. There is a group that meets at the library every week. Also a co-op on Fridays. So she could interact with other kids during the week.

She has 2 older sisters but they live with their Nana, Granny and sometimes dad. We see them every other weekend. So she's like an only child. She's used to being by herself and plays great. She is not a problem at all. Very versitile. Loves to help me in the kitchen and with cleaning.

But I also like my time. This will be an ALL day thing M-F. My DD is trying to get a job at the local textile mill and could work 7-3 which would be great. If she will do that. She's working with a girl who cleans houses and offices and she will be getting a percentage soon. I think she really likes that job.

I guess I just need some advice about this. I think she needs the one-on-one attention and the positive environment she gets here. I think she would be able to learn so much more here. I have talked to her about this, too. She says she does not want to go back to school.

Thanks for listening. Kris

Happiness is simple.

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  10:03:21 AM  Show Profile
DOn't worry about it being the middle of the school year. If you feel you should take this path, then go for it. After homeschooling all 5 of mine I certainly know the ups and downs. What if you only commit until the end of this school year? Then you will know if this is something for you.

For us, homeschooling was (only 5 more months til the last one is done with her senior year) and is a way of life. I always worked "my" time into the scheme of things. I will admit, I will always err on the side of the child. I say... take her out and give it a shot. Just remember, you don't have to do "school" at home.... the joy of homeschooling is the flexibility.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  10:25:30 AM  Show Profile
Kris, I admire you for wanting to take on this responsibility, but I am wondering if there are some hoops you have to jump through before you can decide this. I know in NC there are forms to fill out. You have to let the "powers that be", know what curriculum you will be using etc... Also, there is end of the year testing that you will need to have her do. Now, it may be very different in GA.
Just wondering.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  11:57:09 AM  Show Profile
I need to find out the "legal" aspect of this. I homeschooled my 2 when they were younger but it's been 20 years ago. We used Abecca. I had them tested at the elementary school when all the other kids were testing. Each month I had to send in attendance records but that was all. I think to the Board of Education then. I'll see what my friends do.

I can see why she gets in trouble. I printed off about 20 different pages of different things like math and language for 1st grade. I couldn't give it to her fast enough. She's get it done and want another page. And all right, too. So I guess she gets her work at school and gets it done then needs something else to do and disturbs the class. Anyway, I will have to get actual workbooks for her to do. I can't afford the paper and ink to print that many pages every day. We have a School Box store near here I can go look this weekend. She may need 2nd grade in most subjects.

I think I have decided to go ahead and do this. It's only 4 more months really. And I am sure I can find lots for her to do. I will check to see what needs to be with the school next week, too.

Thanks for the input. I really feel right about doing this.

And good for you, Angie. That's great that you homeschooled all 5 of yours. And I am sure they are all very smart and wonderful grown up now. I'll have to keep your e-mail close by for advice!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  2:39:52 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I am thinking the main problem here is your grand daughter is bored. She is far ahead of the other children. She needs more of a challenge for sure. I would go yourself with tour daughters permission and talk to the school principal. She may well need to be in ecellerated classes or even moved ahead a grade or skip one. You would be taking on a BIG responsibility if you home school. Saying that you like your time is something to consider too. I would imagine the school would be more than happy to test the child and place her where she really belongs. That may be all it takes is to just find the right grade for her with the challenges she needs to keep her mind satisfied. Just my humble opinion, but then I read on and see you decided yo go ahead and do it, so I wish you and your grand daughter a good experience out of this.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  3:54:21 PM  Show Profile
That is something I am going to ask a friend that works at the school to do first. I think she does need to be tested to see where she needs to be.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

piddlin sweetie
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Vickie
Kentucky
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  9:19:08 PM  Show Profile
either way your decision goes I would think that talking with the School Principal and letting them know what is going on with your granddaughter..of course the "getting in trouble", and being sent to the office, sitting out in the hall, and most of all being seperated in class.... is troubling..but coming from a Mama who had to deal with a Teacher mistreating my son.. i still fill that you should at least let the school know either in person or in writing.. of why ...and ask can they resolve the situation...IF she is excelling or for any other reason it is wrong to be on the line of "punishing".. they may be willing to help and really by law they should..

As for homeschooling.. we love it.. of course you would need to check your State guidelines.. and rules.. for homeschooling but it is do able.. kinder age would be fairly simple..

What does her Mom think about it?
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  9:33:01 PM  Show Profile
Kristin... you can keep my email and ask away!!! It has been an amazingly rewarding lifestyle for us.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  05:04:46 AM  Show Profile
Vickie, I had e-mailed a friend that works at the school. She said she had yested K. for a few things and she tested low in some because she can't stay on task and complete the work. I remember her mom had a meeting with the teacher and she said she thought K was ADHD and needed testing for that and the wonderful bebefits of all the new drugs out now for that. I am totally against that but really can't do anything about it. She has not had it done yet. K is a very active child. She's constantly in motion. Even in sleep! But very bright and learns very easy.

But my friend said to come in Monday and talk with the priciple. There will be no teachers there til Wed. So I may do that and see what's really going on. She told us not to give up on the school. To talk to him and see what can be done for her. So We will.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  07:38:44 AM  Show Profile
Kris, I went through something like this several years ago when I pulled my son out of the public school. We do the free Georgia Cyber Academy which is great. I wouldnt want to sway you but my child, who is in gifted and talented now, and testing well beyond grade level in state testing, was put in special needs at the public school and was once tackled to the ground by an aid. My son is a docile, intelligent person and the school was a joke. When I would drop him off they expected the children to walk all the way around the building and wait outside before coming in. Mind you, this is with a huge backpack, a lunchbox and in below zero weather. (we lived in MN then) I insisted on dropping him right by the door, too bad. At some point my childs self esteem and his well-being had to be priority. That wasnt happening there, he was humiliated and not learning anything. Anyway, our situations arent the same, but I pulled my child mid year and have never regretted it a second.

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

piddlin sweetie
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Vickie
Kentucky
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  09:31:22 AM  Show Profile
Kristin..
let me add that my son is ADHD and what a journey! He is now 10 but still can go.. Im always saying he can go 20 out of 24 hrs.. and im not joking. The thing is that (some) Schools just dont treat kids well ...most of all those with ADHD..and let me add that ADHD is real.

I have a long story about how my son got treated in school.. but will save it. The bottom line is no child should be mistreated in School. When you mentioned an older Teacher and some of the "'punishments" your gdd was receiving.. it really brought RED FLAGS for me. You dont put an adhd child in the back of the room, or isolate them...etc..

Also, you have to be careful with (any) School. They are not allowed to diagnose your gdd. You do that thru her medical Doctor. IF she is ADHD then you have the option of asking for some help. It can be thru an IEP or a 504.

The reason I mentioned speaking with the Principal is that you need to give the School a chance. The principal might not know there is something going on with the child and the Teacher.. and needs to be brought into the loop.. and of course, you need to go thru the proper steps.. of speaking with them, putting it in writing,etc.. so if a PROBLEM does arrive you will have done your part.. and it was done proper..

Now having said that.. there are a lot of great Schools and Teachers out there...that can help and are good to work with...and you might get lucky and have just a school..

Now, my MAMA BEAR is gonna tell you different....lol..

It is awful how my son (and others) were treated in school.. my son was put on a medical leave for "severe school stress" for 6-8 weeks... yes an 8 yr old... on medical leave. Thank God he has a super terrific old Doc and staff.. who believed him.. and it was not pretty.. he had to see a psych.. and it was all confirmed.. she said.. he was traumatized...

I did every step you were supposed to take and the school was not cooperative. they denied everything.. It came to them attacking me.. the Mama who was trying to protect and SAVE my son...who I knew was telling the truth.. it had happened before my son and was happening to other kids...at the same time...I reported them to the State.. and of course then the School wanted to help him.. but they could not guarantee his safety.. the damage was done.. so with the doctors blessing.. we homeschooled the last weeks of School.... then took his advice and got "the hell out of dodge".. and moved.. which is another story.. i moved back to my homeplace.. enrolled him skeptically in my old school.. teachers i grew up with, went to church with, even the principal.. but oh what dark secrets they keep... they were just as worse.. and I will admit my guard was WAYY up and I was difficult.. but what do you expect.. from a MAMA BEAR... anyways.. it started again.. but from the Principal.. the Teachers were afraid of her and for their jobs.. she refused to offer any help.. and when I got outside help.. she stopped them at the door...I realized that public school was not for my son.. and in a way "not good enough" for him.. and I could do a lot better myself.. and I didnt not want the mistreatment to continue.. and then have him be a drop out in high school...

So we homeschool.. love it.. work at his pace...a few hours a day.. in spurts... and he is doing great! now that doesnt mean i will not need to hire a tutor a few years down the road for Math.. but we can do it.. the rewards of homeschooling are abundant..

My son was not mean or uncontrollable.. he just got bored easily, and distracted, etc.. was never sent to the office...he is smart and reads well beyond his level..but has trouble with things like penmanship, and can not put his thoughts to paper.. well, a lot of worksheets isnt his thing.. he is a hands on/visual learner..etc.

The bottom line is (some) schools just dont want to deal with kids that need extra help or time.. they get lost in the shuffle.. they are smart.. and can do good.. but they are just wired different..and need different ways of doing things...

as for meds.. the school or a school can not tell you to medicate... there are lots of options to try before meds.. and IF .. IF you go the medicatition route. you always start out low..you can work with their diet.. we medicate.. but he is on a low dose for his age/weight.. and he is managageable..it mainly helps calm him or it would calm any child so that they can learn.. when we first learned he had ADHD..he described the meds "slowing the world down so it didnt spin as fast"...so that tells you a little on how ADHD kids work..

The main thing for me in choosing homeschooling is I want my son to like learning.. and not be afraid of someone.. or be hurt.. it is wrong.. and to heal from what he already had to endure.. it has changed him for life...but at least with homeschooling he knows that his Teacher loves him and can work with him, and be good to him.. not yelling, throwing things, hitting and kicking desks..and isolating him...etc etc etc....

Someone mentioned self esteem.. yes, it does hurt a child to be mistreated.. and it is an awful thing for a young one to grow thru.

gee sorry so long.. but maybe this will help you or others.. you can email me or anyone else can...ADHD is real and there are so many kids that have it...i dont speculate on the why.. we just deal with it.. and I am teaching my son to deal with it so that when he becomes and adult/man he can handle himself and not be on meds...

GOOD Luck...

Edited by - piddlin sweetie on Dec 31 2009 09:43:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  12:24:44 PM  Show Profile
Sarah. my friend belongs to a co-op over in Ringgold. They go on Fridays. She loves it. I am glad homeschooling worked for your son.

Vickie, sounds like ya'll have been through some horrible school problems. I am so glad he's in a good place now with a greta teacher. Do you plan on continuing through high school?

We have some really good private schools around. And an elementary school on Lookout Mt. that my other 2 grands went to til 2 years ago. It's 25 miles from here. But I love that school. I think H. could take her every morning on her way to work. I think K. would love it there. I think it's just her teacher. She's older and has been teaching for years. I have never seen the woman smile. Not good. But she told H that her son was ADHD and they got him on meds and they have never regreted it. Said it changed his life and theirs.

Anyway, I'll talk to the principle on Tuesday and see what they can do. Thanks so much for sharing your story. It's so sad but you have done the right thing for him. So many bad things happen in schools these days.And I don't want her to have bad memories.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  6:20:27 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to say, good luck Kris, your family is lucky to have you to advocate for them. It must be a great relief to your daughter.

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  5:14:11 PM  Show Profile
Ok, obviously I did not start homeschooling K. Her mom just took her to school Monday and we didn't talk about it since. But today when she got home she was very agitated. She even just had a very bad temper tantrum when I told her I thought she needed a nap. She just lost it then. So I asked her what was wrong. She said she didn't want to talk about it. Well, I knew something was wrong so kept asking questions. She said she just wanted her mom. So I called and left her a message. Then asked more questions. Did something happen on the bus? No. Did something happen at school? She cried. Did someone hurt your feelings? Yes. Who, another student? No. Your teacher? Yes. What did she do? She hollered at me and told me to bring up my work and she was going to give me a 0. So I am mad.

Also when H called later I told her a little about what happened. She said K did not want to go to school this morning. Started crying and said the teacher didn't like her and she didn't have any friends.

So tonight H and I talked about the situation. She said if I wanted to homeschool, she was ok with it. I just cannot stand the thought of a 6 year old child being hollered at in a classroom full of other kids. It brings back some bad memories of when H was in Kindergarten and there was this old teacher and her assistant that would holler and scream at those poor little kids all the time. I just cried. I finally went to the principle and told him. That was that teacher's last year. And the assistant, too.

So I think I will go talk to the principle tommorrow. He needs to know what is going on with this woman. That is uncalled for. She should not even be teaching children. I am very upset and quite mad right now. There is no reason to treat a child like this.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  5:27:45 PM  Show Profile
that just makes me so mad. Self esteem in girls is such a tricky thing anyway, and there is an adult undermining it. Its nothing short of evil.

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Homeschooling a Grandchild Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page