True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2009 :  5:29:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi gals
I am finally getting a new kitchen. We are gutting it and starting from scratch. Our house is over 200 years old and it certainly needs some work done on it.
Any ideas or any suggetions/must haves?

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2009 :  5:57:31 PM  Show Profile
Make it exactly what you want and at the best possible cost. I tell my kids--don't do cheap, but if you can't afford top-of-the-line, don't do that either--just do the best you can. You always get what you pay for.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2009 :  5:57:50 PM  Show Profile
Walk in pantry, with strong shelves to hold all that you can in the summer. Deep farmhouse style double sink. Lots of light, from windows and electrical. Lots and lots of counter space, you can never have enough. Double ovens and 8 burner cook-top with griddle in the middle. Small appliance cubbys with electrical outlets inside. The best you can afford for all of it, you won't be sorry there.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  06:12:56 AM  Show Profile
I loooove my mil's kitchen. Her home is 120 years old, so space is at a premium. She has very high ceilings, and takes full advantage. She has an old barn ladder that she hangs with dried herbs, that can be lowered and raised, as well as a cast iron pot rack that does the same. It makes more sense to me to have everything in reach.

Something I've always thought was necessary--double ovens. When I was little, we lived in an old farmhouse that had double ovens built into the walls, one over the top of the other. My mom could do sooooo much cooking--for large meals, for freezing, etc...And, since they were "built in" it took no floor space. The range top was a gas one, built into the cabinet top. So, essentially, there was no large stove taking up space, and more cabinet space available on the bottom.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  10:17:41 AM  Show Profile
ooooo...I've always wanted a pot rack in the middle of my kitchen. Not so much bending over and digging thru cupboards *What a nice dream THAT was for 30 seconds* Thanks! lol

Farmgirl Sister# 905
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  10:34:29 AM  Show Profile
great ideas ladies!

farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  10:35:43 AM  Show Profile
As a kitchen designer/builder for 16 years, my advice is to notice how you work. Ask yourself - do I work left to right or vice versa? If you work left to right then place your dishwasher to the right of the sink. Keep your work area in as much of a triangle as possible between stove, fridge and sink. When building full height uppers over the fridge (depending on ceiling height) its a good idea to put a lazy susan in that cabinet to best utilize wasted space. Put in as many roll-out shelves as possible in lower cabinets for ease of accessibility. Have more than one cutting board. Be sure to put in a really good hood vent over your stove and use it. The number one enemy of cabinet finishes is grease and moisture. If there is anything I can do to help or questions I can answer please feel free to e-mail me and I would be glad to help. One other thing....if you plan to have an island in the center of the kitchen, tape the outline on the floor and walk around it for awhile. Then you will get a true sense if you have room for it and how big or exact placement it should be.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  10:43:55 AM  Show Profile
WOW!! Sheri....things I never thought about for sure! WE are very fortunate to have a huge space to work with. I want LOTS of counters and a patio door and my sink under a window.
that is very wise about which way I work. I never thought about exactly where to put the dishwasher, but now I know
I knew I could count on you gals for help....keep the great ideas coming

farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  10:52:09 AM  Show Profile
I second the hanging pot rack, mine is above the island, inline with my stove, love it to death. Also I have a sheet of plexyglass behind my stove, clean-up from splatters is so much easier now, it is mounted so it can be taken down to paint, extra heavy cleaning or easy re-placement.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  10:56:23 AM  Show Profile
What type of counter tops are you putting in? Another good thing is if you can, put in a divider in one of your cabinets for cookie sheets to stand vertical. They are easier to access and take up less space. Are you going to put a pot filler faucet next to the stove? I am getting ready to put one in when I finally get to my kitchen (hopefully this spring). It will be so nice for filling canning kettles.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  10:59:14 AM  Show Profile
I already have a vertical cookie sheet divder and can't live without it so I will have a new one in the new kitchen...the plexiglass idea is good. I have a old style stove. It is a repro of the old cookstove with the warming oven on top. (mine is electric) so I don't really need to worry about the walls as everything hits the back of the stove

farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  11:33:32 AM  Show Profile
Are you putting in solid surface counters like granite, corian, etc? Another possibility is concrete - a friend of mine did one and it was really neat. There are so many options out there now. Just be sure to research staining, chipping, and cleaning. A lot of companies want you to use specific cleaners in order for them to honor their warranties on solid surface countertops.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  1:22:02 PM  Show Profile
Definitely a huge deep sink you can get a big ole canner in! And a dishwasher. And a pantry. Those are just my favorite things in a kitchen.

Can't wait to see pictures if you can post the befores and afters.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  7:57:54 PM  Show Profile
We have a pull-out lift up thing for my mixer, so its out of the way but easy to get out. I thought I wanted open shelves and stuff hanging but I'm tired of dust and working around things and want to be able to stash things and get them out.

"You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd.....
But you can be happy if you've a mind to. All you've gotta do in knuckle down, buckle down and do it, do it, do it!"
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic kitchen renos Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page