Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Handmade Ceramic Christmas Tree
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Handmade Ceramic Christmas Tree Next Topic  

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2009 :  10:54:53 AM  Show Profile
So how many of these are out there? I think they were pretty popular a few years back. I got mine at a charity auction.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2009 :  11:57:23 AM  Show Profile
Nancy,
I have the one that my mom made in ceramics back about 1969!! Mine's green and I need to find a couple of the little bulbs to be replaced! I treasure it!
I'll try to get a picture to post on here

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

If you rest, you rust. Helen Hayes

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2009 :  11:59:00 AM  Show Profile
Thats right Brenda, there were green ones too, I forgot about that.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2009 :  12:25:03 PM  Show Profile
Ooh I just love seeing these. My grandmothers both had one that I remember from when I was younger. I am keeping my eyes open at the thrifts and different places hoping to find one for myself.
I just love the memories at this time of year. (Especially when they involve my grandparents! )
Thank you for sharing, Nancy Jo! I go over and squeeze my pretty strawberry sachet every once in a while and it smells so good and looks so pretty!! :D
hugs,
Jess

People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,
but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2009 :  1:59:29 PM  Show Profile
My friend Nita has one her Mother made and I bought one for my Mother a few years back. They are delightful
Wow! Your countertops shine! MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2009 :  2:08:13 PM  Show Profile
First time I saw one was after my brother got married - his wife has a green one. I always thought they were kinda cool.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9416 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9416 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2009 :  3:56:24 PM  Show Profile
My aunt has a white one she made many, many years ago in a ceramics class. I remember seeing it always in the same spot every christmas when I was a kid and would go to her house. I never see them around here.

God is good....all the time.
Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2009 :  3:58:38 PM  Show Profile
I had a white one when I was little. It had pink lights on it. It got lost over the years. I recently picked up a green one at a yard sale. LOVE IT!!

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2009 :  4:50:47 PM  Show Profile
My MIL made me one for my 2nd married Christmas, with the little twinkle lights, I still have it, it is in the guest room for any overnight visitors to use as a night light. Memories................

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2009 :  04:38:10 AM  Show Profile
I have a green one. My mil made it for my husband when he was a boy. She made one for each of her children. It's one of my favorite Christmas decorations!

Farm Girl #790

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2009 :  05:24:40 AM  Show Profile
My mom, aunt, & grandma all had one (all shopped together all the time) I loved it. Theirs were green also. Would love to have one for myself too. I wonder if you went to a ceramic shop if they still have them to paint yourself? I havent done ceramics in years, but always loved to go see what they had.

"I have an irrepressible desire to live till I can be assured that the world is a little better for my having lived in it."
– Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2009 :  07:12:25 AM  Show Profile
My mom has a green one she made many moons ago and I love it!

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2009 :  3:53:49 PM  Show Profile
We've got two - my husband was a Junior Achievement advisor and this was one of their projects. We have a white one and a green one. Since we're moving this year and all our furniture is in the warehouse over Christmas, the green one at our farm is the only Christmas tree we're having this year!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2009 :  4:43:34 PM  Show Profile
This has been a real thorn in my side since moving 3 yrs. ago....my mom and I both made those in ceramics years ago, mom's was the shiny white, mine was "flocked" white, with pink lights....can't figure out if I sold mine, got lost moving, or is tucked away in our house on the west side somewhere, but I really can't imagine selling it....lots of sentimental value there!! Thanks for sharing this!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2009 :  8:55:49 PM  Show Profile
my mom had a white one when i was little. a special friend/co-worker made a green w/flocking tree for me about 20 yrs. ago. Still love to use it.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2009 :  8:15:43 PM  Show Profile
oh Nancy,
Those were so popular wit the little 'lite brite' type pegs in them that lit up....I have seen them in Green but it is harder then the dickens to find them....
I keep my eyes open especially at Estate sales...but have yet to get lucky...enjoy yours.
hugz

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Lorie Marler
True Blue Farmgirl

265 Posts

Lorie
Guymon Ok
USA
265 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2009 :  07:11:36 AM  Show Profile
My Nana use to make these she had a ceramic shop and I always loved them. I never did get one of hers before she moved away but I found mine at my Thrift store. I have a ton of the lights if anyone needs them. Maybe we could barter something small.
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2009 :  08:22:53 AM  Show Profile
I have one that my Mom gave me when I got married. She had two. They are both green. Hers is bigger than mine. I love mine so much. I do need some of the little pegs, I use to have a supply but now I only have the ones on the tree. If anyone knows where to get them please let me know. I love my tree and would love to have another one.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

Lorie Marler
True Blue Farmgirl

265 Posts

Lorie
Guymon Ok
USA
265 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2009 :  08:38:44 AM  Show Profile
Beth I have a lot of the little peg lights if you need some.
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2009 :  12:51:18 PM  Show Profile
My sister made one in ceramics class too!I am thinking the early 70's. It was green with painted garland and the glass lights. (I think they were glass) She gave it to my grandmother. I think my Aunt has it now.
I love them.
I think I am going to have to see if first: I can find a ceramics class. And second: see if they offer the tree to be made.

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
http://khartquilt.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2009 :  2:09:32 PM  Show Profile
Lorie that would be awesome. I started with three sets, pine cones, birds and butterflies. Now I barely have enough to cover the tree if I use everything. Please let me know if there is anything you would like in exchange or if you would like me to buy them. I was just looking at where you are located. I was born in Guymon, Ok. I left there when I was in sixth grade. My grandparent are buried there and my Aunt and Uncle and cousin still live there. What a small world.

Farmgirl Sister 572

Go to Top of Page

Lorie Marler
True Blue Farmgirl

265 Posts

Lorie
Guymon Ok
USA
265 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2009 :  8:15:55 PM  Show Profile
What is really strange Beth is I grew up outside of Houston (La Porte, TX) and only moved to Guymon a few years ago. I will get them all out sometime tommorrow. I know there are different sizes and colors. I have to work but maybe I can sneak in sometime during the day and take pics for you. I am a dog groomer so maybe I groom some of your relatives dogs wouldn't that be crazy. I am sure we can come up with something to trade. I love trades they are so much fun.
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2009 :  8:42:14 PM  Show Profile
Well, if you ever run into anyone named George, Marilyn or Mike Grider they would be relatives. George and Marlyn have a schnauzer. I have a niece named Crystal Grider. My grandparents moved their in the 30's. And family has been there ever since. Do they still do Pioneer Days? I went to Academy Elementary is it still there. I moved to Baytown from Guymon and just after college dated a boy from LaPorte. His last name was VanDaventer. His parents owned a funiture store there. Let me know what you would like to trade. I am a fairly good seamstress if that helps.

Farmgirl Sister 572

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Handmade Ceramic Christmas Tree Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page