Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 When do you switch out your clothes?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic When do you switch out your clothes? Next Topic  

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2006 :  12:11:07 PM  Show Profile
Twice a year, every year, I struggle with this. When do you switch out your winter clothes for your summer clothes? I would love to pack up my winter clothes, especially since I'm trying to get things packed to put in storage, and unpack my Spring/Summer stuff. Is it too early?

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2006 :  3:12:10 PM  Show Profile
I grew up on the coast of CAlif where it is about 75 degrees all the time and we never did it, but after living in Idaho, Minnesota and here in Utah I sort of do. I still don't do a big switch since I wear jeans and tee shirts and overalls for chores year round..but I do pack away the sweaters and turtlenecks and heavy coats for sure. And there are for sure thing I wear more in summer..but I dress pretty much the same year round. I will be happy to dig out my sandals again though!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2006 :  3:45:03 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
I don't have any winter clothes!!! I have a barn jacket and a few long sleeve shirts. But that's it. I wear overalls almost everyday. And prairie skirts. Same shirts...and garden glogs or flip flops. If I wear shoes at all. Actually none of us have winter clothes. Just hoodies for when it is cooler.

Susan
Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks http://www.thesoapmaven.com

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2006 :  03:44:30 AM  Show Profile
Usually when the low tems at night consistently hover above 55.

It was unseasonably warm in the South this winter, and most days multiple layers would be peeled off by the end of the day!

Sadly, our home doesn't have much storage space, so old clothes that we don't want to donate, go in a plastic container up in one of the barn lofts.

After finding a rat's cache of gourd seed hulls in our Christmas tree box one year, everything was moved into plastic containers!!
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2006 :  04:47:35 AM  Show Profile
Actually, I don't switch them out anymore. I bought a large armoire for in the hallway, and I also took over my daughter's closet and dresser when she moved out. And all the main closet. It's really kind of horrible; I use that armoire, three dressers, and three closets. Think it's time to go through things and donate some stuff? *sigh*
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  10:45:09 AM  Show Profile
I havent switched mine out yet~~Was just an overnight frost warning a couple nights ago..still tooo sooon I think...
But~~ I do start shifting the fall/spring type clothes to the front and putting the heavy sweaters to the back in preperation to store in the box.
Cant do it too early...about the time you dont have a sweater~it will get cold for a day and then you will have to dig it out again.
Jan
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  10:52:56 AM  Show Profile
When I lived in Alaska, my summer clothes were just the inner layers of my winter clothes. Now that I live in Arizona, it's just the opposite. So I don't switch anything out.

Even in Missouri, I had a dresser in which the sweaters and long-sleeve pullovers were in one drawer, and t-shirts and undershirts in another. I just switched which was higher up when seasons changed. The long underwear was just behind the regular underwear in the drawer so I just left them back there in the summer. I didn't have much in the closet besides coats and jeans. Still the same. I don't wear dresses because they are a pain. The ones I have are in the way back. And I only have a couple of wool sweaters and a handful of tops to wear so there's not much to manage.

I'm trying to get to the old way of having 2 changes of day-to-day clothes and one Sunday best. If I could do that, I'd be very happy indeed!
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  10:56:22 AM  Show Profile
Allison, where did you live in Missouri? I'm down in Cape Girardeau.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2006 :  08:56:04 AM  Show Profile
Grew up in Kansas City. Nice town; slow and easy! Terrible public transportation system though. Everyone HAS to have a car. Bummer. How's "the Cape" treating you?
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  11:41:25 AM  Show Profile
I havent switched my clothes in years. My mom used to but as an adult, Im never did.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2006 :  10:42:14 AM  Show Profile
Ok-Had to switch out some clothes this weekend..Needed to find an "Easter" outfit without buying one this year....There were clothes everywhere! Looked like a picked thru yard sale when I was done...Empty boxes of shoes (or with one shoe) all over the floor! Finally found an outfit but not before the whole storage box was empty..
So- my method is, that for every spring/summer piece of clothing that I hang up....I un-hang and pack a heavy sweater or turtle neck or some other winter clothing...Tit-for-Tat...
Jan
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2006 :  11:35:00 AM  Show Profile
I generally switch in early spring to spring/summer stuff and late fall to fall/winter. I don't have much storage space so I try to go through everything before storing and then again when I bring it back out to be sure it is in decent shape, fits, etc-if not it goes to goodwill or cut into rags. I always keep a few things out on both switchouts for those "just in case" days. I use plastic storage containers that fit nicely under the bed-an excellent investment to keep mice out. I have a coat closet to store my coats in for the cooler months, but I try not to have many of those as that closet is pretty small. I did a major give away/clear out a few years back and that helped me reclam my space and ever since I try hard to only replace things as they wear out not add more. I layer a lot so some things stay out-like tanks and T's.
Can't wait to dig out my sandals which are stored at the back of my closet and will be putting my boots back there hopefully soon!
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2006 :  1:08:06 PM  Show Profile
There is sooo much I should take to goodwill ..But-I'm the kind of person who thinks..."I might need it someday" They say~~if you dont wear it in a year get rid of it. But,perhaps my clothes are bi-annual..lol
Jan
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2006 :  3:10:08 PM  Show Profile
Well, in Canada, there is a definate need to do the "switch" because the seasons are so distinct here. I start looking at my spring clothes in February, but don't actually start wearing them til about April. For fall, I start thinking about the wintery-type clothes in August, but don't really impliment anything til about mid-September.
For spring though, I do get into the mood a little early, even when I can't wear my pretty spring clothes. I make a point of painting my toenails the prettiest colours, so that even when I'm struggling with big bulky winter clothes, I can still pull off my big woolen socks and have a nice burst of color. :-)

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2006 :  9:38:28 PM  Show Profile
we have such a mild climate on the Oregon coast that I don't have a seasonal wardrobe just different jackets depending on the temp and rain. Even in winter I am in Birkies with no socks even with the rain.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim

Edited by - Julia on Apr 17 2006 9:38:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2006 :  11:58:12 PM  Show Profile
Here we do the switch in October, to summer gear and April for going into winter.
That used to be the change over times for school uniforms also.
Seasons are changing these last few years though, so there is no exact time anymore.
I see kids with hoodies and jeans, on hot summer days and shorts with their boxers showing in winter. lol.
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2006 :  10:37:01 AM  Show Profile
Helen~~sooo...it sounds like you are the opposite of U.S. right? That's so neat...and so different...! I guess I didnt realize that!
Jan
Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2006 :  11:49:49 AM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
Here in Wisconsin, it is still too early-though my kids dont agree. They are ready for swim suits! I am putting away winter coats, washing, hanging them out, but the clothing will wait a few weeks. With 7 kids, it is a long job, that I do not look forward to. I love spring and warmth, I dont have to worry so much about clean socks, they already found flip flops in the basement. Oh the joy of going to town and not having to find everyone's coats! No mittens, hats or Scarves! NOw I only ask " Shoes ON?? Do they Match??" and away we go!

-Tami
now ladybugsmom7, the newest farm girl Danielle elizabethwas born March23, Danielle Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2006 :  8:03:43 PM  Show Profile
I grew up always having a box in my closet for the items that changed from summer to winter.It was always fun to get it out and find things you had forgotten or maybe things Mom bought in an end-of-the-season sale. Those were the most fun because most of the time you had not worn them so they were new. I still have a box,er...a... plastic container. I change out blouses, pj's and shorts mostly, The rest stays were it is. Jeans and t-shirts are always out. Coats are all in the hall closet so you just pick the one you need. I guess as the weather starts to get warmer i start to get things out as needed. At some point I get tired of digging in the box and just switch!
I also switch out my dark winter comforter for a light colored summer quilt. That I pretty much switch in march and october. I love it when it's time to change. Not sure I could live somewhere that stayed the same temp all year. I would definetly get bored. Even in central Ga it gets cold and wet in the winter and HOT in the summer.
Last fall we took 8 garbag bags of clothes to our university campus. They opened a dorm to Katrina victims and needed donations. Now we have lots more space.

Teddie
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic When do you switch out your clothes? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page