Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 HomeSafeHome
 DO NOT microwave disposable containers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic DO NOT microwave disposable containers Next Topic  

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  3:38:53 PM  Show Profile
Below is a warning my husband received at his lab. I thought it was a good reminder to make sure a container is microwave safe before popping it in the oven:

"The Office of Science (SC) Fermi Laboratory Site Office (FSO) experienced an unusual fire event at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (FermiLab) on the Week of November 20, 2009. While heating water in a disposable cup using a microwave, a FermiLab employee observed flames and sparks. The flames were small enough that the employee was able to blow out the fire. The exact means by which the fire started are not certain, but the event coincided with the acquisition of new compostable cups. It is possible that, like some biodegradable cups, the paper is waterproofed using a polymer made from renewable resources, (Plants) which would be reactive to microwave heating.

The cup involved in the incident did not have any warnings stating it was unsafe for microwave use. Subsequent tests have shown that the process was repeatable. Some manufactures state on their websites the cups are not for microwave use but do not state such on the cups or warnings literature in the shipping boxes.

Please take a few minutes to remind yourselves, coworkers and family members about the importance of not heating disposable food containers unless the container states that it is intended for the purpose. In addition to the recently recognized fire hazard, many such
containers, including plastic ones, release harmful chemicals when heated in a microwave. Check your cups and containers to ensure they are intended for microwave use."

Hope this helpful to you farmgirls!
Dawn in IL

Edited by - ddmashayekhi on Dec 17 2009 3:40:17 PM

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  4:11:35 PM  Show Profile
I melted one yesterday just seconds from flame up.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  4:33:36 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Dawn!
:o)

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My etsy: Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  11:47:13 AM  Show Profile
Diana, I'm so glad you didn't have a fire!

You're welcome Karrieann.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  5:17:53 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
good info to know..thanks

Linda in Scranton, PA
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  4:04:21 PM  Show Profile
WOW! Thanks! Didn't even think of that happening. I will read containers from now on!

Farmgirl Sister# 905
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  07:20:24 AM  Show Profile
Microwaving disposable containers was something I did without thinking before my husband got this notice at work. I had melted a few but for some reason I didn't take it seriously enough. I'm lucky I didn't have a fire.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic DO NOT microwave disposable containers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page