Author Try This: Previous Topic Beauty products? Next Topic  

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  2:23:54 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Has anyone ever made there own beauty products? If so I would love recipies!!
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  04:12:27 AM  Show Profile
I just got the book Organic Body Care Recipes by Stephanie Tourles from the library. I specifically wanted it for body butters & things but it does have quite an array of recipes in it. Hair care, facials, cosmetology, love potions (giggle) and more! http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Body-Recipes-Stephanie-Tourles/dp/1580176763

Farm Girl #790

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  04:57:47 AM  Show Profile
I usually buy things.... but there is one thing I make during the winter to help with my dry, flaky, itchy winter skin. I am outdoors a lot in winter, and we heat with wood, so my poor skin suffers. Here is what I mix up:

1 cup raw or granulated sugar
1/3 -1/2 cup olive oil
few drops essential oil

Mix the sugar and oil together. Use enough oil to make a drippy paste, but not so much that it doesn't hold together. Add drops of essential oil.

After a shower and shave, I scrub this all over my legs, and everywhere I am itchy. Then I rinse it off in the shower and pat dry. Next I slather on some lotion and wow! I feel great.

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  3:49:13 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks so much ladies!!!
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  6:57:18 PM  Show Profile
I make up a yogurt cleanser to wash my face with daily:

Yogurt Cleanser

1 cup of yogurt
1/4 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil

Mix throughly, smooth 1/4 cup over face for about a minute & rinse with cool water. Will keep in fridge for a week. It makes my skin feel silky smooth!

1/2 overripe avocado
1 teaspoon of honey

Mash together, smooth over your face & leave on for about 15 minutes. Rinse with cool water. Don't let anyone see you, you'll scare the heck out of them or give them a good laugh!

Lotion Bars:
3 oz. Cocoa butter
3 oz. Coconut Oil
3 oz. Beeswax

Melt all ingredients slowly in a small pot, when completely melted pour in to soap molds. Your body heat will trigger the lotion, great for garden hands, elbows, knees, and feet. Put cotton socks on after using lotion bar on feet for a few hours, soften them right up! The cocoa butter gives a nice chocolate scent.

Have fun gathering up recipes!
Dawn in IL

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  7:03:41 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Dawn for the recipies!!!
hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  7:04:44 PM  Show Profile
http://www.craftbits.com/bath-and-body-crafts

Here you go Channah! I love making bath and body stuff! I have never made make-up but I'd like to try to sometime =) have fun girl!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  7:06:53 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Annika!!!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

Zereen
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Kimberly
Oklahoma City Oklahoma
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  11:24:47 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Zereen's MSN Messenger address  Send Zereen a Yahoo! Message
My face is picky and really dry so I use brown sugar,maybe 1/2 a cup with a tablespoon of soy milk(vanilla).You want the brown sugar to be kind of pasty. If you add to much milk the mixture will become runny.The two mixed together smells great and works perfectly with my skin(It exfoliates).I do this about 3 times a week. I'm vegetarian that's why I use soy milk.

{Deep in my bones}
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  11:54:31 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
thank you Kimberly! I am also vegetarian so this recipe is great!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

Zereen
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Kimberly
Oklahoma City Oklahoma
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  12:14:38 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Zereen's MSN Messenger address  Send Zereen a Yahoo! Message
Well since your vegetarian maybe you could help me out with a recipe I have?
Its called Butternut Mac&Cheese.To my surprise my children loved this recipe but I would like for it to be animal free.The only thing I dont know how to substitute is the cream cheese.Any suggestions?

you can e-mail me at kimberly_zereen87@hotmail.com... if you would like.

Thank you!

{Deep in my bones}
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2010 :  2:45:26 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
e-mailed you.. check your spam box.
Hugs,
channah

Go to Top of Page

sw80689
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Sharon
Papillion Nebraska
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  1:26:05 PM  Show Profile
These are awesome recipes:) Thank you to everyone for sharing. I have been looking for a exfoliating facial recipe!! The avocado mask sounds good, too!
Smiles,

Sharon
Farmgirl Sister #1393
*We are all angels with one wing, the only way to fly, therefore is to embrace one another*
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  07:37:25 AM  Show Profile
Channah,

I just went through my stacks of books and I found a great one. It's titled 'Natural Soap Making' But it doesn't have just soap making recipes in there, there are recipes for other things, such as bath oils, bath teas and all kinds of other things. There is even a small chapter on making labels for the products you make. It's a great little book. If you want it, let me know and I will get it in the mail to you tomorrow morning.
Take care,
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Marcy on Apr 18 2010 07:48:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  08:49:37 AM  Show Profile
I have been experimenting with homemade makeup. I made a loose face powder with cornstarch and just a pinch of organic cocoa powder to give it a natural beige color. I am very fair skinned but pure cornstarch is to white. It came out good and does work. I have not used it long enough to see if there are any major skin problems. I will keep you posted. I also make my own tinted lip glosses. Those are easy also and somewhere on my blog is a recipe. Now I need an eyeshadow recipe, anyone?
Jane

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  1:15:02 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Oh Marcy you don't have to do that. You have already done soo much for me! It sounds like such a coool book! I love books like that! If you do want to send me the book I can send something in return. :) Thank you so much for thinking of me!

Jane, that is sooo neat! Let me know when you find more recipes!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  10:33:46 AM  Show Profile
Hi Channah,

The book went out in the mail this morning. It should be there by the end of the week. Please don't feel that you have to send me anything in return, I'm just glad to send it out to you. I would rather have someone use it than have it just sitting on my shelf. And it makes my day to make someone else's day, especially another farm girl.
Take care
"hugs"
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  1:11:06 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
oh Marcy! I don't know what to say! Thank you soo much! I do want to send you a little something in return. :)
Hugs!!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  12:58:06 PM  Show Profile
I have sensitive skin and most exfoliating scrubs using sugar is too harsh for my face, so I use plain old baking soda moistened with water on my wet face using a circular motion. It works well for me without flaring my skin up.
Go to Top of Page
  Try This: Previous Topic Beauty products? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page