Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Mice!!! Next Topic  

cj6
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

cj

USA
196 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  10:53:19 AM  Show Profile
Help we have mice!! each year we get a few...we live close to the river but,this year....Does anyone know a way to get them to leave?something they don't like the smell of?anything? I don't want to poison them and have them dying in the walls etc...Anyone???
We've been trapping them but...doesn't seem to be enough this year.

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  1:33:20 PM  Show Profile
Try the unsonic jobbers that you plug in your wall I have heard they work. Or a cat.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  4:45:48 PM  Show Profile
moth balls, just make sure none of your pets or any children can get to them, and/or a cat.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  6:27:17 PM  Show Profile
I'm sorry to say, if anyone is opposed, but I use mouse traps. Usually my cats take care of any little critter that is trying to get in from the cold, but if they fall short, the trap comes out! I simply can't tolerate mice in my house. Their favorite food is pecans. Good luck.
coffeemom
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  6:36:29 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Oh yea, I'm way past the emotional aspect of a mouse getting caught in a trap, when they can get into anything and everything, it's time for the traps. My dog dug her way through a solid oak door to try to get at a mouse she saw go under the door, I can't afford to have stuff like that happen anymore, so I use mouse traps everywhere. As far as in the walls, we found out where they were getting in and closed off the access, but that's because of the style of our house...you may need to call a professional to get them out of the walls.

Say to them, may the Lord bless you and protect you, May the Lord smile upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace. (Numbers 6:23-26)

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

Go to Top of Page

MommaJ9
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Kimberly
Longview Washington
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  8:39:34 PM  Show Profile
We use peanut butter in the traps...the little buggers can't pull a "snatch and grab"!

Farmgirl #783
http://jabezfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  12:05:02 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Kimberly, we use peanut butter also, and it's comical the fit I have when my DH goes near the peanut butter jar and he's got an empty mouse trap in the other hand...I get all hyper and get the jar and make sure nothing touches it but me and the utensil I use to pull a dab ut and then utensil gets washed as soon as he gets the peanut butter off and I've secured the peanut butter to the pantry...untouched by "mouse-tosser" hands...what an ordeal!

Say to them, may the Lord bless you and protect you, May the Lord smile upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace. (Numbers 6:23-26)

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  12:52:48 PM  Show Profile
My cats take care for th mouse population.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  12:57:40 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Hey Marly, WHO DAT! 13 & 0! I left some cool info on the old NFL post.
We used to have a cat that we allowed indoors,he's gone now and our dog Nakita took care of mice while she was alive, she's been gone from our lives from about 3 yrs...still not over that, but, the cat we have now is outdoors, or so my DH says till it drops to freezing; even then, I don't know...he cries to go out. A great outdoor mouser, but haven't been able to keep him content in the house to find out about inside mice, thus the traps.

Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  1:05:36 PM  Show Profile
We don't have much of a problem with three cats. We use the peanut butter and mouse traps too. I hate mice! I can smell them anywhere in the house and it drives me crazy till I catch the one that slipped through the cats.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  09:30:18 AM  Show Profile
We use traps in the house and 8 cats outside and in the barn. Been lucky this fall, only one got in the house. He was SO lucky to stay away from all those cats only to come in the house for a bite of peanut butter. Woops!
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  11:42:34 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Woops! I like that!

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  12:35:42 PM  Show Profile
I do have 3 inside cats, but they are getting old, so I help them out. The moth balls help repel the mice from areas the cats can't get at, I use a trap called a "TINCAT", its a live trap and can catch multiple at a time, I change what I use for bait from pbutter, dog kibble, jam, etc. That way they don't get bored and avoid the tunnel to hell, lol. I don't use death traps, cause if they do manage to get loose, and go die in the wall, its a nasty few days till they dry up. Sticky traps, are just plain cruel, and I don't care what kind of animal, I just can not be cruel, death has to be instant. Any who, when I catch mice in the live trap, I carry it out to the barn, dump them in a barrel, and the barn cats have a easy catch snack.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  1:43:48 PM  Show Profile
I saw those TINCAT's at Ace hardware not too long ago when buying traps myself! (A mouse crawled into our oven insulation and died...needless to say we have a new stove now)

I have an indoor cat, but, he's only caught 2 mice in the past year. How do you encourage the cat to catch mice?

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  3:01:48 PM  Show Profile
Megan, its instinct with cats, but some are slow to realize that. My neighbors were having a tuff time with mice a few years back, brought them a 6 month old kitten. Got a call a few weeks later saying the cat hadn't even tried to catch any mice. I went over with a live mouse, let her see it, and let the mouse go ( we did this in the bathroom, just in case kitty was one of those weird ones,lol ), kitty went nuts and attacked that mouse and killed it instantly, from there on out, they had no mice problems in their home. Since your cat has caught 2, I would tend to think either the mice are where he/she can't get at them, or he is eating them, and leaving no trace. I've had cats that kill them and leave them, some that will eat every morsel and leave no trace, and others that leave various parts that you hope you don't find with bare feet, lol. Plus an outdoor cat is not going to be able to get the indoor mice.

Go to Top of Page

cj6
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

cj

USA
196 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  1:42:23 PM  Show Profile
thanks for all the replies...we do use old fashion snap traps and they do work(hubby too likes peanut butter and does take it and puts some in something else first...cause I too freaked out over the possibilities! LOL!) unfortunately for some reason we've gotten a few more this year(I think its because of the river and we have a few empty houses nearby) and some of them are pretty darn brave....run right across the floor...ewww!Would love to find a way to get them to run fast and far away from here.
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  1:58:13 PM  Show Profile
It's funny that I saw this post- not haha funny, but oh my it's happening to me too!
Last night I opened the door to come upstairs and here was this little teeny mouse, running down the stairs! I screamed, just because I was so shocked, and hubby and daughter came running! They thought I had fallen down the stairs! We tried to catch it but couldn't.
Then after I had gone to bed, and daughter was watching TV, she said he was running all over the family room, right under our 2 golden retrievers noses! He even crashed into the little garbage can I keep in the family room!
Haven't seen him today, but I know where there's one there's more. This is a farm house, and we're in the country, so I expect mice, but in the over a year we've lived here, it's the first time I've seen or even seen any signs of one.
My son just offered me one of their cats and I said no, now he's gone to another home. I don't like cats in the house, so we will be setting out the traps tonight.
My mom and dad are coming up tomorrow to stay with us for a couple of weeks. I hate to think of what my mom is going to do, if she happens to see the poor mouse. I'm sure he will then die of a heart attack after hearing her carry on!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

If you rest, you rust. Helen Hayes

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  1:59:25 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cj6

thanks for all the replies...we do use old fashion snap traps and they do work(hubby too likes peanut butter and does take it and puts some in something else first...cause I too freaked out over the possibilities! LOL!) unfortunately for some reason we've gotten a few more this year(I think its because of the river and we have a few empty houses nearby) and some of them are pretty darn brave....run right across the floor...ewww!Would love to find a way to get them to run fast and far away from here.
I forgot- cj6 to tell you that it could be that you are in for a cold winter. I've noticed more mice in the years we have a hard winter. You should get a cat! :)

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

If you rest, you rust. Helen Hayes

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  3:41:46 PM  Show Profile
Do ya'll know why your cats leave the tail till last???

cause they make great toothpicks, heheheheheheh

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  6:50:18 PM  Show Profile
That's a good one Teresa! LOL
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  8:05:23 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
heeehehehe..LOL!

Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Mice!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page