Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 alternatives to a cro-hook
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic alternatives to a cro-hook Next Topic  

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  08:29:18 AM  Show Profile
In order to do the afghan stitch, you have to use this special crochet hook with a knob or something on the end. Is this a hook that you have to use or can you a regular one? JW...I have a project I want to do,but I don't have one of those.
Thanks girls!
hugs

Jessie

People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,
but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  08:47:05 AM  Show Profile
I have used regular crochet hooks for this kinda work yrs ago. It IS easier to use the special one but also doable with a regular hook.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  10:42:44 AM  Show Profile
The crochet hook for afghan stitch looks like a knitting needle with a crochet hook end. The reason you need the longer needle is to fit the number of stitches on the needle. I don't know how big your project is but in afghan stitch, the first part of the stitch puts the loops on the needle and the second part you crochet into the loops on the needle and take them off. I have even seen them with a nylon cable to accomodate a large number of stitches like for a large afghan. So unless your project is very small, there wouldn't be any way to get all the loops on to the needle. I hope that helps.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  12:11:52 PM  Show Profile
Thanks girls. The length is 12" squared so I guess it would just be best to search out for a cro-hook. :) Can you still do the stitching on something that is done in single crochet vs. afghan stitch?

thanks and hugs,
Jess

Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  12:51:05 PM  Show Profile
OOOOOPS I goofed! I was confusing the afghan stitch with another one sorry! Yes it would be way easier with the longer hook. I am sorry to confuse you, Jessie. Sherri is right :)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  1:54:30 PM  Show Profile
Most of the embroidery that I have seen on afghan stitch is cross stitch and the afghan stitch leaves a design that looks kind of like little squares so it makes it easy to place the stitches. My mother did loads of very complex afghans with this stitch and cross stitch embroidery. She even took best in show at the Interstate Fair held here in Spokane each year. Sadly she has passed on now. I don't know if another stitch would work out as well. You should be able to find the needle pretty easily anywhere they sell yarn - even Walmart or JoAnns. Good luck on your project.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  2:11:39 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Sheri. I would love to see some of the wonderful things your Mom made. It is always so special when we have things that we know were God's talents of our parents.:)
I can't wait to give this afghan stitching a try. I never seem to be able to figure out how to keep everything even.
Wish me luck..lol
hugs,
Jess

Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  2:25:17 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a pic of what a cro-hook is? I think I have one (sized 8...5.0mm 9 inches long) The one I have does look like a knitting needle with a crochet hook on the end. It's aluminum. Jessie, if this sounds right and you want it, please let me know and I will send it out to you. I've had this for a while and I would rather see someone use it than it just laying around, if not, good luck in finding what you need.
*hugs*

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic alternatives to a cro-hook Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page