kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  10:58:28 AM  Show Profile
I just went out to the coop where I have my Buffs and Hildi and Summer. I count every time I go out to feed them. I didn't see Summer. Then I looked under the nest boxes and saw a foot. I knew that wasn't a good thing. It was Summer, my only Welsummer hen. Something had gotten in last night and got her. Poor girl. All the others looked ok. Whatever it was ate the bottom half. So I opened the door and I'll let them all go free range again. Now that I'm down to a reasonable number I can handle it. I have 20 hens now and 2 roos. They'll have a better chance to get away from a predator if they can fly away. Darn, I just hate that. To know there was some horrible creature in the coop terrorizing my poor chickens. I hope whatever it was has had enough for awhile. I really am fortunate it got just one. It could have gotten all 15 of them, I guess. Maybe the goats scared it away.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  12:25:57 PM  Show Profile
So sorry about Summer. I hope the others will be okay.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

tribalcime
True Blue Farmgirl

2963 Posts

lisa
lexington ky
USA
2963 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  12:40:03 PM  Show Profile
so sorry abut summer

http://www.tribalhorse.blogspot.com ..... http://www.tribalbarter.blogspot.com ( items for sale here )
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  1:15:13 PM  Show Profile
They're still hanging out inside. I hope they weren't all traumatized, poor girls (and Jimmy).

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  2:44:55 PM  Show Profile
That is always heartbreaking to loose a farm friend. I never have gotten used to it. I know that is just the way it is on a farm, but I don't like that part.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  3:12:01 PM  Show Profile
Alas, Summer, her time had come.
~ Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  8:49:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sorry to hear that Summer is gone- But I am really happy that it was only one! That is good!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  10:05:39 PM  Show Profile
I'm sorry you lost Summer. Hope the others stay safe and happy.
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  04:53:06 AM  Show Profile
Some of them went back into the tree to roost. But most of them were on the hay feeder when I went to check on them. Jimmy Buffet was the only one that was back in the coop. all by his big lonesome self. I haven't looked yet to see if he made it. I took the chicken wire off the door so they can go in and out but the goats can't get in. I'll still feed them in there. I am glad, too, that it was only one of them. But what a horrble death. The man that came yesterday to get the bucks said it was probably a possum. He killed one the other day at his place.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Kayce
True Blue Farmgirl

290 Posts

Kayce
Sebring FL
USA
290 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  05:02:18 AM  Show Profile
I had something get at my sons White Cochin. Nothing left but feathers. We had to bury a box of feathers. He was so heartbroken. and it was the day before the fair. He is such a soft hearted kid.
We have since bought more chickens and lost a few from various reasons learning from the trials and errors.

Sorry for your loss and I'm glad the others are ok.

Learning to appreciate having a glass..not half full or empty..just thankful for a glass :)
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  07:52:57 AM  Show Profile
hi kris, sorry to hear about your chicken. we have been 12 below here so cold. i have heat lamps and heaters everywhere. thought we were getting a warm winter. no such luck. i hate milking in this cold even with a machine. we fight skunks here. they got two chickens so far. oh if it would warm up and rain. lol sherrye
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  08:10:48 AM  Show Profile
It is horrible to lose our farm critters. But that's life on a farm. It's gonna happen, regardless. No matter how much we do to protect them, these wild animals are so much smarter than we are. I hate it, but that's the way it is.

My chickens are all here so far. Jimmy made it. I did find a hole in the far corner of the coop and blocked it up with rocks and blocks. That could have been the way it got in.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  09:44:40 AM  Show Profile
Kristin, I am sorry. I love welsummers. This is one of the things that has stopped me from getting chooks. I am so worried that they wont be safe and I dont really know how to build a super safe coop. We live on a kind of busy road too so I couldnt let them free range.

Fingers crossed that the blocked up hole helps. Darn possums.

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  10:11:30 AM  Show Profile
Sarah, I don't think there is a safe coop. If something wants in bad enough, nothing will stop it. There's always a way in. I loved that hen. If I do decide to get any more chicks next spring, I will get some Welsummers. I love the egg color. Almost red. She was a good little hen, too. Her and Hildi must have been raised together because they were always together since I've had them. Hildi misses her. The rocks were all still there when I checked.

The girl that bought the rest of my chickens lives on a pretty busy road, too. She kept them up about a week. When I went to get a round hay bale from her Sunday I saw them all out by the road. I wondered if she's lost any yet. I see chickens by the side of the road all over the place around here. I rarely see dead ones. I did have one of mine get run over, though. And a guinea, too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  1:49:55 PM  Show Profile
I am always sad when I loose one of my girls

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  8:33:59 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
that is really sad. So sorry about it.
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2009 :  7:45:13 PM  Show Profile
Sad to hear about your Summer (I have a daughter with that name by the way!) I lost a couple of my oldest hens this year (they are 7 years old)and I am sad each time. I get real attached to my little banty laying hens.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  07:05:16 AM  Show Profile
Those little banty's are so cute. My friend that bought some of my hens has the smallest little chickens I have ever seen. They are about the size of a pigeon. They're so cute.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  7:32:25 PM  Show Profile
Sorry you lost one of your girls Kris. I hope you figure out who got her. I hope my Lab will keep all the critters away at night, she cornered a coyote Sunday! Joe called her and the coyote ran away. I was glad it ran off, I like my hens to much for a crazy coyote to eat them!
Kelly
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  7:53:59 PM  Show Profile
Good dog! Good thing you're keeping her. She deserves a big ole doggy treat for that. Her and Bubba would have fun together chasing all the wild critters around here. He jumps the fence and chases deer all over out back. He has a ball. I worry that he might get in the way of a bullet one day from a hunter. So far it hasn't happened.

I sent your goodies today. Be on the lookout!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  8:06:15 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, please be careful about your dog chasing deer, deer can and will do major damage to a dog, plus, in most states its illegal.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  04:51:02 AM  Show Profile
I did buy her a bag of big bones, she loves them.
Goodies, you shouldn't have :) I will watch for them.
Theresa, my Lab only chases rabbits, squirrels and the occasional coyote :) She is a keeper after all.
Kelly
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Good Bye, My Little Summer Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page