Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 It's going to be cold tonight!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic It's going to be cold tonight!!! Next Topic  

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  3:00:51 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies, It is going to be -5 tonight so I was wondering if there was anything that I should do for my goats? I'll give them lots of hay and putting extra bedding down for them. Did I miss anything? Let me know!
Hugs,
channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  6:55:25 PM  Show Profile
i was wondering the same thing channah i am in bend redmond oregon. you and i are getting the same cold front. we were minus last night and again tonoght. i did give mine some grain today and water with molasses for stress. they have a heat lamp inside their house but they were shaking this am. so very cold. i am not good with cold. ready for spring now lol sherrye
Go to Top of Page

NancyM
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Nancy
Fall City WA
113 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  7:27:18 PM  Show Profile
I hate having animals out in the cold-Heat lamps and extra bedding are about all you can do. Sherrye, I used to live in Sisters-sub zero temps are really unusual!

Nancy
Farmgirl Sister #159
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  8:53:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Just becareful of bedding and heat lamps as you don't want a fire! I would lock them into their goat shed so they can lay down together and conserve heat. They should be fine. You don't want to over heat them with too much help or they can start shedding out their winter coats. We are -6 right now without wind chill BRRR!!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  07:11:09 AM  Show Profile
I had to bring my two chickens into the garage last night. This morning, it is only 11 degrees inside their coop so they are still hunkered down in a dog kennel in the garage. I'm sure they aren't happy about it but better that then two chicken popsicles!

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher, Soon to Be Podcaster
http://beesinourbonnetsintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Podcasts at http://thefannyfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  08:57:13 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Lastnight we had to bring our rabbits in the house because it was so cold out!! Goats seem to be doing ok:)
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  12:28:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi Channah:
I hope you and yours are keeping warm. So happy to hear you brought your rabbits inside. I would have done the same thing! But, I would have probably brought in the goats, too. My hubby would not have liked it, but oh well... LOL.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  5:50:15 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Marly, I asked my dad and mom if I could bring the goats in and they said no. :( I told them that they could share my bed! but sadly they still said no. Darn! Oh well!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  08:02:18 AM  Show Profile
nancy you are right. normally if we do get this cold it ends quickly. not this time. it is -8 right now. i have heat lamps and heaters everywhere. electric bill will not be cheap this month. hope this ends soon. we are frozen rock hard. they say we have snow coming. i hope so at least that would be warmer. we want to go get the cow in the valley we bought to milk. afraid the cold in the trailer would be too much for the cow. waiting to see if it warms up.i want to bring my cow in lol. she has her baby full time now to keep eachother warm. i havenoy milked in 2 days. the calf has it all to keep her warm. will go back to milking her tomorrow. stay warm all you girls. we are hunckered down. how long did you live in sisters nancy.sherrye
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic It's going to be cold tonight!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page