Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What is your worst Christmas gift ever!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What is your worst Christmas gift ever!!! Next Topic  

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  08:52:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
I was just sitting here thinking about something i read the other day on the net and it was about the worst gift i have ever received and thought it would be interesting to put a post on MJF and see who tops the worst gift ever received! ha ha

I would have to say that my worst Christmas gift would have to be a soft shell taco warmer. I opened and and was just like, what would make you think i would ever use that? lol. Needless to say, goodwill got a new item to sell after Christmas.

"My ideal day is sitting on the back porch, cup of green tea in hand, slippers on, and just watch the cows in the pasture"

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/

Kayce
True Blue Farmgirl

290 Posts

Kayce
Sebring FL
USA
290 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  09:01:16 AM  Show Profile
Well I can't say it was the worst but maybe it will count. I got a vacuum cleaner. Ugh and it was missing the attachments. The most important attachment! the arm of the other person putting it to use in this house. Where were the coupons?! you know the ones that say "one free day of vacuuming". Geez, I guess I have to do everything. LOL
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  09:05:29 AM  Show Profile
Back when I was kid I got a bride doll what I had asked for and being that it was a hard year money wise my parents got me a gently loved doll which was all they could do but I was so upset that who ever had her before had chewed off her fingers. My parents didn't even notice. I think I took it so hard because I was on the verg of losing the Santa magic and this put me over the top.
After that I have just gotten into regifting in my old age it is amazing what people really want and like.
PS. I would have loved to have a soft taco warmer.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  09:21:20 AM  Show Profile
I can't recall any real bad ones, but one time at a gift exchange in school, my sister got some rusty scissors.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  09:23:31 AM  Show Profile
I have a hard time saying I recieved a bad gift. I have to think about the giver. The person giving the gifts always thought they were giving something I would enjoy. To me it is more about the thought than the actual gift itseld.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

krissy
True Blue Farmgirl

278 Posts

Kristen
Snohomish WA
USA
278 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  09:33:53 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gramadinah

Back when I was kid I got a bride doll what I had asked for and being that it was a hard year money wise my parents got me a gently loved doll which was all they could do but I was so upset that who ever had her before had chewed off her fingers. My parents didn't even notice.

The fingers were chewed off?? Oh dear!! That sounds just miserable and I can imagine how disappointed you were.

http://lateinlifemommy.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  09:35:20 AM  Show Profile
This wasn't a "horrible gift" I just didn't know what the heck it was after I'd opened it---it was an 8 x 10 picture frame (badly painted white) with a piece of screen stapled to the back, and a wire ribbon to hang it. It came from some high-end shop in Hyde Park that my mil goes to...

I said, "thanks, how cute!" and STILL couldn't figure out what it was, but I held onto it because my mil's got if for me. A few months later, I picked up the Mary Jane's Farm "Life Book" at a bookstore and low and behold, there was my "gift" (though much better executed!) right there on the diy pages....for those of us who have the book, you'll know what I'm talking about. For those of you who don't have it, it's an earring hanger!!!

I didn't keep it because it just wasn't something I could use, and I donated it to Goodwill (I bet it's still sitting in some Goodwill with people going, "what the heck????" but at least I figured out what it was!!!! I finally broke down a few years ago and told my mil's!!!! They thought it was hysterical!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

krissy
True Blue Farmgirl

278 Posts

Kristen
Snohomish WA
USA
278 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  09:36:33 AM  Show Profile
I can't really think of any bad gifts, but I do recall one year when I was 15 my family took a trip to Hawaii for a week at Christmas. "Santa" left big gingerbread cookie men under the 'tree' for my sister and me. Well, it was Hawaii and it was warm and my parents had left the window open on the deck and the screen door was closed. Needless to say, it had rained overnight and the wind blew the rain into the condo and my gingerbread man was sopping wet and soggy. I was not a happy camper. I look back at that now and kind of laugh. What a silly thing to be upset about!

http://lateinlifemommy.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  10:44:51 AM  Show Profile
Well, I have been very lucky, but iremember the worst Christmas ever was the last Christmas with my first husband, although at the time I didn't know II was the last, but this should have been a clue. I didn't receive anything, at all.
My current husband, on the other hand, will ask for a list early on and do his best to fill it. But he also usually gets me whatever I ask for all year long. I have learned to only voice serious "I wish I had..." and not silly ones!

Merry
Farmgirl #536

http://iowafoodcoop.blogspot.com

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

Don't pray for a lighter load, pray for a stronger back.
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  1:56:33 PM  Show Profile
One year I got from my MIL a pair of slippers. They were very pretty but... they were both left feet. I wonder if she was trying to tell me something?lol

Tina

Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  2:18:52 PM  Show Profile
Normally, I wouldn't consider it the worst gift, but I was only about 9 years old and my aunt got me bras and underpants for Christmas. They were the nice ones from JCPenneys, but she wrote personal on all of them so I wouldn't unwrap them in front of my dad and brother. I wasn't even in the misquito bite bras yet, so I was mortified.
Right now, I would consider them wonderful gifts, but back then in my not even budding youth, they were not so wonderful. ;)
hugs,

Jessie

People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,
but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13645 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13645 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  3:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I don't really recall any particular gift that I would consider the "worst". But I am pretty disappointed in my in-laws and the past few Christmases when they did NOT even acknowledge my kids. . . their grandchildren with any kind of Christmas. Nor do they acknowledge me. That would be the same for our birthdays . . . it's hard enough when they don't do that for me, but it's REALLY hard when they treat their grandchildren that way. Our daughter and our son are the ONLY "flesh and blood" grandchildren they have! They have another granddaughter that my brother-in-law adopted.
Anyway, it's hugely disappointing!!!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  3:56:06 PM  Show Profile
Oh CJ I know how you feel! I won't go into details, but our situation is similar and it is hard for me to not feel bad for my children. Especially when MY parents are so involved with my kids and are such a stark contrast from my in-laws. I'm so sorry your family is going through that.

As for my worst Christmas gift: it is really my almost - worst gift. When I was around junior high age, my favorite music artist at the time was scheduled to perform a concert in my area and I wanted nothing more than tickets to go. I begged and begged and my mom just kept saying no no no, it's on a school night, its too expensive, no. I was so mad. Then to add insult to injury, on Christmas morning, what do I open up, but a cassette tape from that artist! Like that was supposed to be a substitute. Then I opened up a small slip of paper that was tucked inside the gift from my mom. It started out by saying "I know this can't make up for seeing her in person, but hopefully this will help. P.S. the tickets are arriving by mail." It took me several blinks to figure this whole thing out, and I went from being a pouting, angry, broody teen to screaming in delight. So it wasn't really a bad gift in the end, but the journey there was miserable.

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  5:44:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
I just read the one about the two left feet... That actually made me laugh out loud!!

"My ideal day is sitting on the back porch, cup of green tea in hand, slippers on, and just watch the cows in the pasture"

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  6:30:34 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I think I liked the 2 left feet the best! LOL

Linda in Scranton, PA
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  9:56:46 PM  Show Profile
Anything my ex-mil gave me. At the risk of sounding ungrateful...
She had REALLY bad taste. She would buy me tacky knick-knacks, and ugly clothes.
She just didn't "get" me at all.
I have very classic tastes, and would rather wait/save up to pay for quality, than buy something cheap and tacky. She mistook that for snooty.
I wish she had just saved her money, or spent it on herself or donated it to a charity instead. They didn't have a lot of money, but insisted on buying us gifts.
I didn't get along with her all that great until "the end" when she figured out her baby boy wasn't such a prize.
Now she is gone, and I miss her great sense of humor.
She would have LOVED this site.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  04:28:24 AM  Show Profile
My worst gift was, when I was about 11 years old, my brother got me a race car for HIS race car set....now its just a great funny memory.
Sheri

Many Hands Make Light Work!

...God made the seed to grow...1 Cor 3:6

The best fertilizer for a farm, are the farmers footsteps...
Go to Top of Page

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  04:34:37 AM  Show Profile
CJ,
My eyes almost popped out reading your post. I have two beautiful granddaughters, and they are 10 and 12 and I could not imagine, NOT spoiling them rotten. I feel so bad for your children. They should have the honor of feeling super special by your in laws. I cannot imagine what their problem is. That is just not right, and it makes me feel outraged. I am so sorry.
Sheri

Many Hands Make Light Work!

...God made the seed to grow...1 Cor 3:6

The best fertilizer for a farm, are the farmers footsteps...
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  08:23:56 AM  Show Profile
I have the in-law problem as well only it is just my mother-in-law. She stopped giving my daughters gifts when they were in elementary school. She always gave them to the two cousins. But once my oldest daughter forgot to send a thank-you note to her aunt for taking her to the zoo and none of my kids ever received anything from either my Mother in Law or Sisters in Law (there are three) again. I just consider it their loss because my girls are awesome grown women.

My worst Christmas gift was when I was a kid. My sister and I both wanted dolls that you could wind up and they moved. My sister got the name brand one and I got a knock off. It broke the first day I had it. Guess my Mom thought that being younger I would not notice. I was so upset.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  3:31:33 PM  Show Profile
A hatbox hairdryer. Remember them? Our house had three females, so Mom thought that I needed one. Sometimes being the eldest is the pits. It also came in handy for defrosting the freezer.

A friend with three sons got a "Scum Buster" from her husband one year. He got it back the next year. Message received.
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  4:03:54 PM  Show Profile
When I was about 8 years old I wanted a doll house. When Christmas came there was a box for me that I thought might be it, if it were in pieces to be put together. It was a jigsaw puzzle. I know now that times were hard for my parents then. I hadn't realized it then. I voiced my disappointment and Mom looked like her heart was breaking. I hadn't thought of that in years and now I wish I could go back and let her know again how much I loved her and that I understood later.

"You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd.....
But you can be happy if you've a mind to. All you've gotta do in knuckle down, buckle down and do it, do it, do it!"
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What is your worst Christmas gift ever!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page