Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Blinds.......turned up, or down??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Blinds.......turned up, or down?? Next Topic  

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2009 :  6:35:29 PM  Show Profile
I'm sure everyone has their own opinion on this, and hope somebody answers.....to keep out the cold, which way do you turn your mini blinds, up, or down??? I've got a pair of really attractive sheets hung on our front windows, sort of free flowing and tacky looking!! Anything will help with a temp. of 15*, winds of about 15mph....lets see, what does that take the wind chill down to??!!!!!

live, laugh, love

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2009 :  6:57:09 PM  Show Profile
I'm not really sure if one way is better than the other for heat retention. I like for mine to go down, so I can see out better. I have read that bubble wrap on the windows will help with insulation. Brr... 15* !!!

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

italianchildhood
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

172 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  08:23:08 AM  Show Profile
I find that any kind of window covering helps--I keep the windows covered at night and I open the blinds when sun hits the windows during the day. In the morning you can feel the difference in temperature on either side of the blinds.

----------------------
http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds listings

and http://italianchildhood.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

krissy
True Blue Farmgirl

278 Posts

Kristen
Snohomish WA
USA
278 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  09:40:23 AM  Show Profile
Our blinds go up (in the master bedroom) because it blocks out the light better. The kids don't care which way theirs go.

http://lateinlifemommy.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  1:34:58 PM  Show Profile
In my years of experience in Colorado, I learned that if I turned my blinds up, it kept the cold out better. It seems that maybe the cold air has more trouble flowing up. As I prefer no window coverings at all, I had to learn to use the blinds that my husband insisted on because I had no curtains ;-) Old quilts hung over the windows work well, too, but I had to put them up and down because, there it is again, I don't like to have the windows covered unless it's really cold and cloudy out . . .

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

"Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you" - Maori Proverb

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  1:37:15 PM  Show Profile
My blinds are turned up. When I was young my mother always turned them up because of the peeping-toms. I just still do it that way. LOL
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  4:01:36 PM  Show Profile
My blinds are sideways and my husband tells me I have them facing the wrong way. Problem solved I open them he closes them. We always put plastic on the windows and used a hairdryer to get the wrinkles out this year we got 7 new windows. I always thought the blinds went down up I guess up is winning.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  4:29:50 PM  Show Profile
I turn our's down but my DH turns them up!!! I actually don't care as long as all the blinds in the same room go the same way!!!
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  6:03:08 PM  Show Profile
This is kind of like the toilet paper roll question. I never thought about it much till this thread was started.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  7:57:14 PM  Show Profile
I wondered if I'd start a debate of sort with this thread....I always have this dilema, winter and summer!! But one thing is for sure, Misty I'm with you, they all have to go the same direction!! Thanks for your help ladies, I think the "up position" wins, hands down!! Stay warm you gals!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Blinds.......turned up, or down?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page