Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 A lesson learned the hard way, lol...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic A lesson learned the hard way, lol... Next Topic  

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2009 :  5:51:29 PM  Show Profile
You all know you never climb up ladders when you are alone, right? Well, this Mamawolf ignored her own advice and yesterday got antsy, put the extension ladder up against the gable roofed barn to finish up the Christmas lights on the front of the gable, so I'm hoking, hooking, and stretching and stretching, and instead of going down and moving the ladder over, NO , this idiot deceids to stretch alittle farther until one tennis shoe is no longer on the "round" rung of an aluminum ladder in misty weather. Well you can imagine what happened next, and if you can't, I'll tell you,lol. Ladder started to tip, I stepped back over and shifted it too far, lost my balence and down I went, managed to turn slightly and landed on my upper left arm and shoulder on a nice big, smooth and rounded rock. Here comes my Son, D-in-law, and both G/sons (and they are terrified and crying, they are 5 and 6). I was was just kinda in a heap on this rock, gritting my teeth and trying real hard not to burst out crying ( that was not easy, cause it hurt like @#&$%#@*())&%#), figuring I had to break something, I fell the distence of 2 stories on a ROCK!!! My son picks me up and is running for the house, as I'm telling him to put me DOWN, they want to call 911, I said NO!!! Just take me in to the ER, well here's the amazing thing, nothing broke, no blood or guts hanging out, and I wasn't knocked out. I do how ever, have a bruise from my shoulder to just past my elbow, that is the most amazing color of black/blue and deep, deep purple,The ER doc pumped some blood thinner into me so I would not blow a clot, but, other than that, I'm fine, except the the stiff, and increitably sore body I have right now. So if any of you gals, have any thoughts of being as @#$%*^# as I was, just come back and read my story, LOL

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2009 :  6:00:25 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness Teresa! I'm thankful your ok. What a day you had and I'm sure its still being talked about at your place. Hope your soreness doesn't last too long and just so you know.... I am afraid of heights. I am more afraid now that just a few years ago. I think its because I know my balance is not as good. I am sure if that happened to me I would never hear the end of it with my kids. Now, just put your feet up and have them take care of you for a while.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2009 :  6:25:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness. I am so glad it wasn't any worse and you just have a bruise. Please be more careful next time! Or let someone else do it for you. I can only go up 3 steps myself. I do not like ladders. Too scary and I do not like falling anymore. But I am so glad you're ok.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2009 :  6:34:19 PM  Show Profile
You are one tough mama!

Merry
Farmgirl #536

http://iowafoodcoop.blogspot.com

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

Don't pray for a lighter load, pray for a stronger back.
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2009 :  6:40:02 PM  Show Profile
Ohhhhhh Teresa!! So sorry about your fall, that had to hurt like a #%@#^&%#$%, like you said!! Glad you didn't injure yourself any worse, am sure this is bad enough, plus your PRIDE!!! Sounds like something I would do.....ah, did, years ago, but I was painting, DH was on the road, even tho we lived out in the boonies I had to look around quick to make sure nobody was peeking out of the woods, that is before I had the nerve to get up!!! Take good care of yourself lady!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2009 :  6:43:31 PM  Show Profile
The lights did get finnished tho, by my son and a neighbor, and they are so PRETTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.
Suzie, yes the pride is the worst one to hurt

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2009 :  7:14:28 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I'm glad you are ok Teresa!!
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

SuzieQ
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Suzie
Texas
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2009 :  7:27:29 PM  Show Profile
And the rest of the story is.... how bad did your family chew you out for doing such a stupid thing? I am so very glad you were not hurt worse.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2009 :  9:28:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Teresa!!! I am so glad you aren't hurt as bad as you could be!! I broke my arm doing something very similar when I was a kid on monkey bars! Please watch your arm in case the bone got bruised. You are sooo lucky!!! Phew my heart started pounding just reading you account of it!! yikes!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  03:02:58 AM  Show Profile
So glad you weren't hurt (though maybe your pride deserved it). You should have an interesting bruise for a while--it'll keep changing colors before it finally fades away. But I'm glad the Christmas lights turned out so pretty--at least your efforts weren't for naught. Seriously, you had me scared when you described your precarious situation on the ladder. You must be a tough old bird, as the oldtimers say LOL. Please be careful in the future.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  07:07:40 AM  Show Profile
Teresa! I am so glad you were not seriously hurt!!! I cannot even get on ladders but I understand your feelings! Back on November 3, I fell over 2 pallets at work (in a warehouse) and landed face first in the concrete...all of the guys came running because they were sure I had broken something but after a couple of hours with ice bags on face, wrists and leg, i ended up with one heck of a "scrape" (still healing) and lots of bruises. Less than 3 hours later I was sitting at my desk and it felt like someone had jerked the chair out from under me and I landed on my back on concrete (again)at that point my boss wanted me to go home (with someone else driving) and stay there...I did not argue! Only bothers me when it is really cold....I am just so thankful that you did not break anything or hurt otherwise!
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  07:18:14 AM  Show Profile
Thank God your not hurt badly Teresa! So sorry your sore and bruised tho'. Take it easy and be careful girlfriend.

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

"Courage is being scared to death... but saddling up anyway" ***John Wayne

http://main.acsevents.org/goto/iloveyoumom

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kayce
True Blue Farmgirl

290 Posts

Kayce
Sebring FL
USA
290 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  08:55:14 AM  Show Profile
OMGOSH!! Well that is one way to get them off their duffs and put up the lights for ya. you clever gal. All kiding aside. I'm glad your ok. I'm sure you heard WHAT WERE YA THINKN! I hope you have a speedy recovery.
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  09:46:25 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Wow it's amazing you weren't injured worse than you were! I hope you get to feeling better soon.
Good thing for me I'm scared of ladders, huh.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  1:07:26 PM  Show Profile
Your gardian angel was working overtime on that fall. I am so glad you wern't hurt any more than you are. I was stupid once and decided to paint the peek of the roof so I put up the exstention ladder but only the real tall part I climbed to the top and reached just like you and some guy and his wife were driving down the street and all of a sudden they pulled into my driveway and jumped out of the car and the man grabbed the ladder and said do you know you have it up side down? I said just one more brush full and I'll come down he said OK but wouldn't leave the ladder. I was so lucky, I hope your soreness goes away soon.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  1:35:14 PM  Show Profile
I'm happy you shared your fall with us. I'm so relieved to hear that you are okay, maybe a little bruised! Did you do any damage to the rock you fell on? Farmgirls, I'm only teasing Teresa here, she and I have discussed this tumble already.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  2:15:59 PM  Show Profile
well thank goodness you weren't hurt really bad and for goodness sake take it easy today.

blessings
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  09:58:03 AM  Show Profile
I just wanted to let everyone know that the soreness and stiffness is a little less today, I can actualy move my arm, lol. I was chewed out by every family member I have via phone (most live in Missouri), and by most of my neighbors, LOL. I have done Christmas lights ever since I can remember, and my son was helping, I just got started before him. Next time I will get down and move the ladder instead of " Oh, I CAN reach the next hook ". If I had landed on my hard head, I would have just broke the rock instead, lol. Thanks girls for caring, and don't do what I did, unless you have a safty harness and a net strung up below.

Go to Top of Page

LisaH
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Lisa
Granger IN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  10:27:37 AM  Show Profile
Teresa,

I am so sorry that you had to experience that, but thankful you are ok. I think we just get in a hurry some times. In March of this year I was pumping gas and decided that while it was pumping I would wash my windshields. So, I did what I have seen a hundred people do without thinking, stepped over the hose. Except this time my one foot got hung up on the hose. I fell on all four and broke my knee cap in half. Fortunately, after a couple of surgeries it has healed really well. The only residual problem is that it has a tendency to give out spontaneously. Last Friday morning I was running down to my basement to get something for work. My knee must have given out because I fell at the top stair head first and went literally head over heels to the bottom. Like you nothing was broke but boy was I bruised and sore. The scarier part was I was home alone at the time. I didn't know what I was going to do if I couldn't get up. Thankfully, I was able to move fine. LOL! It must have been a sight. I thought those kind of falls only happened in the movies! I relay this story to say...I feel your pain!!!

Lisa
An Indiana Suburban Farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  10:38:29 AM  Show Profile
Lisa:
I will never step over the gas hose again after reading your account of what took place. I hope you are feeling better now. Take care.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

LisaH
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Lisa
Granger IN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  10:52:31 AM  Show Profile
Marly,

It was the craziest thing. Never in a million years did I think I would trip and who wants to walk all the way around the car? ha ha! It didn't hurt when it broke, but when I tried to move the pain was excruciating. I highly recommend that everyone think twice. I did get attention from several good looking firemen! ha ha! The only upside I could find for my situation.

Lisa
An Indiana Suburban Farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  11:21:46 AM  Show Profile
Well Teresa you could just leave them up year round and not have to do anymore stringing, just change out bulbs occasiionally. They would look nice on 4th of July.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  11:49:55 AM  Show Profile
Oh my, thank goodness you are okay!

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  12:21:16 PM  Show Profile
Lisa:
Maybe you could bring cookies to the Firemen for Christmas! At least you'll get to see them again. LOL. Hope you are feeling better.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  3:29:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
Good thing you are ok. I couldn't even imagine doing that. Your one tough Farmgirl!

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic A lesson learned the hard way, lol... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page