CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  7:09:27 PM  Show Profile
for those of you not on my 'Kentucky Ramblings' e-mail list .. thought i'd share my most recent 'roamings' of the back-roads and what i found. Won't post all the pics here .. but if you wanna' see them .. jus' e-mail me.

i wandered UP to (cuz' i was coming from Nashville)
the Shaker Museum at South Union, KY
i stayed in their "Shaker Tavern" B&B .. which ..
was built in 1869 as a business venture for the South Union Shakers. The B&B was a hotel for the "people of the world." The Shakers leased the building to an outside interest for one hundred dollars a month, leaving its management to the "world".

The building's architectural features were clearly incorporated to attract the 'world's people', whose tastes differed dramatically from that of the Shakers. The stark simplicity of the buildings used by the Shakers contrasts greatly with the grand columned facade, intricate brickwork, and the ornate staircase of the Shaker Tavern.
(if you are ever in the area and would like to spend a night or two .. call (270) 542-6801)
www.shakermuseum.com
the B&B is owned by the Shaker Museum
p.s. i have a list of 2006 events .. jus' let me know if you might be in the area during one of these times, and i'll give you more info:
June 10
shake, ride 'n' roll
(museum fundraiser bicycle ride)

October 7
shaker farm day
step into South Union during the 1870 harvest season. Features twenty living history demonstrations and interactive activities.
(I had planned to attend this event .. until i found out that is the week when i will be heading toward Ohio AND Delaware to celebrate the birth of our
new Grandchild (Ohio) ... and Great Grandchild (Delaware)!

November 4 & 11
a Shaker breakfast
Enjoy a Civil War-era South Union breakfast served inside the 1869 Shaker Tavern B&B.

December 2
Christmas at Shakertown
(i'm sure going to try to attend this one!)
One of Kentucky's finest antique and craft markets.

The Shaker Museum at South Union
South Union is more than just a memory. it is a place to visit and learn firsthand about the Shaker way of life. Several of the original buildings have been restored and now house a fine museum of Shaker folklife and material culture.
(it truly was a delight to visit!!!!)
You will see a 40-room ... 1824 Centre House, filled with scores of ORIGINAL artifacts exemplifying the Shakers' fine craftsmanship. Oval boxes, baskets, shaker silk and linen, early wooden tools, trestle tables, benches, chairs and other furnishing display the diversity of
shaker genious. Multi-drawered built-in cabinets and peg stips along the walls emphasize the Shaker principles of order and cleanliness. Transoms over the retiring room doors allow for good air circulation, one of the essential rules for good health.
(don't you LOVE that term for a bedroom ... RETIRING ROOM .. gotta' whip me up one of those signs for OUR 'retiring room'.

A LITTLE MORE SOUTH UNION SHAKER HISTORY:
The Shakers were a communal religious organization that flourished in America during the 19th century. Their ideals of simplicity and perfection produced a legacy of unparalleled craftmanship and created for them a reputation of honestly, humility and dedicaiton to God.

The relisious beliefs of the Shakers set them apart from mainstream America. Their charismatic found, Ann Lee, established a theology that eventually included principles of celibacy (WELL .. there goes MY membership!),
communal ownership of property, public confession of sin and withdrawal from "worldly" society. A dance-like ritual performed as part of their worship service gained them the derogatory title "Shakers" .. a name they later came to accept.

And here's some interesting info: TODAY there is still one activie Shaker community located at Sabbathday Lake, Maine. (just a few members left though)

p.s. i STRONGLY recommend that you all read Janice Holt Giles book: The Believers .. gives an interesting slant on the life of the shakers .. by today's standards, some people believe the Shaker Community to have been 'somewhat of a cult' (depending of course, on your definition of 'cult'.

it was a 'nice stay' at the B&B ... and goodness .. didn't cost anymore than a mid-priced MOTEL!!! There was a 'birthday dinner' being held at the B&B that evening .. and there wasn't really any 'roaming' room that was comfy as i have found in most of the B&B's that we have stayed in. (no 'parlour') .. the only two teeeeeeeensy sitting areas .. were in the hall on the second floor (middle window above) .. and the entrance hall by the front door. The only two other 'public' places were the two big dining rooms. Sooo .. i jus' 'laid me out' on the big comfy bed .. leaned over toward the 15 watt light bulb and read myself to sleep ... nodded off at SIX P.M.!!! .. got my SIX hours of sleep that i usually only need and woke up bright eyed and busy tailed and rarin' to go .. at MIDNIGHT!

Considerin' there were no shoppes open at that hour .. i stayed put and did a buncha' tossin' and turnin' the rest of the night (and i SWEAR .. either i dreamed .. or two ACTUAL ... CATS ... were in the bed with me at some point during the night .. scared the beee-jeezuz outta' me!
Made me remember the 'white lights' that FLASHED brighter than any light i've ever seen .. when i stayed at the Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill two years ago! OH! you jus' GOTTA' hear THAT story someday ... i SWANEE .. it was GHOSTS!!!!

finally at 6 a.m. .. i jus' upped and outta'd bed .. took a long leisurely bubble bath .. got bundled up for an early morning walk .. roamed a little ways down the road peeking into the windows of abandoned buildings ... it was quite chilly ... soooo .. i ambled on back to the B&B and gathered up my sewies and 'hit the hallway'. The 'hostess' got up soon after me and started banging pots and pans in the kitchen. I wandered in there and offered to help with breakfast. She was actually preparing for a noon Bridal Luncheon .. so .. she put me to work 'topping' fresh strawberries. Had a pleasant morning of chatting about her life at the B&B. Only one other young couple with a two year old darling little boy stayed there that night too.

At 9 a.m. .. i headed for South Union Shaker Museum and WHAT A DELIGHT!!!! When i see 'simple museums' .. i have a nano-second desire to come home and 'clear the clutter' .. but luckily .. the thought passes before it even finishes going through my mind! (And quite frankly, it usually sends me on a shopping frenzy for more 'stuff'!

Rode past a farm with dozens of donkeys and lots of
Tennessee Walking Horses. There was a pack of about 40 or 50 horses all running through the morning mist .. what a thrill to be a witness to this act of nature!

lordy! made me want one or two of these!!!
I took a photo of the 'plantation' home where these donkeys and horses live .. (it didn't turn out for some reason .. i'm using old disks and every now and then .. a picture jus' won't 'chunk' out.
But ...... this beautiful 'mansion' had a HUGE 'water-trough or feeder' directly in front of the front door in the 'front yard' .. and it was surrounded by donkeys! i LOVED that they LOVE their donkeys enough to let them walk right up to the front door .. i did indeed wonder about all the 'donkey-poo' they had to 'fancy-step' to keep from 're-soling' their shoes with it!

also on their property was this 'lama'?
actually .. what the hoo-dah is this critter????

i must have gone to 30 antiques shoppes .. didn't find anything to
'blow me away' ... but did manage to get a few 'little-ettes' that make my heart smile!

some of my new treasures lined up on the front porch

ohhhhhh .. i do think this might be my mos' fav!
it's an olde green-paint 'chicken feeding box'
(being a chicken-aficionado .. that's all they had to tell me to sell this to me!)

I'm gonna' fill it full of hand-did primitive eggs for Easter Season.
Then keep it in the kitchen near my 'hen egg-laying box'.

my eye is drawn to olde wooden 'things'.
The board with the stick handle .. i think was used
for 'mud-daubing' chinks and such ..
well .. anyhoo .. again .. that is what they told me .. and it
was enough to grab my heart! not real sure jus' what i'll do with it yet.

AND the olde 'plasterer' thingie will probably end up being a 'door handle' around here somewheres' or t'other.

I had a wunnerful old mop bucket in my booth at Glover's Station .. didn't think too much of it other than it was 'cute' .. soooo .. i took it over there to sell .. Pamela (Beehind Thyme) bought it and when i next visited her shoppe .. there it was overflowing with spring flowers .. and i turned PEA-GREEN with ENVY .. and wanted it back!!!

Soooooooo .. when i discovered this really cool one .. i snatched it up even though i had to pay a lot more for it than i wished to. I 'loved' the drainage holes .. where i can jab flower stems down into and fill it with water

**********!

jus' a little olde aged market basket .. buy these when i can find them for just a few bucks .. great for storing fabrics and such in!

now THIS is a good'un. it is made like the shaker ones .. although i only paid $20. for it .. soooo i doubt that even one of the remaining few shakers of today made it! I have started taking monthly basket-making classes .. and i sure wouldn't sit and make it for $20 and sell it for that price!

visited a cute little shop called the Rock Garden .. got this little fabric hand-did bunny by Dru of Cinnamon Creek Cabin .. it was ever so perfect to go with my own home-made fabric carrots. Benjamin Bunny i have named him and he sits by the front door on the porch greeting all who visit ..

so do come for a visit soon!

True Friends, Frannie

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  07:30:32 AM  Show Profile
Frannie~~ Please~~~ Put me on your email list...I am dying to see your pics..!
Jan
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Kentucky Ramblings Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page