Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pie Crusts Next Topic  

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  1:08:40 PM  Show Profile
I know someone here will have the perfect way to make a really good whole wheat pie crust that is flakey and not so heavy? Fingers crossed. I keep trying and just refuse to use white flour, though that seems to be the only way I can manage a really good crust. Any suggestion?

thanks,
Laurie

Best Growing

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  1:21:27 PM  Show Profile
What you need is whole wheat pastry flour. Look for recipes for Whole wheat pastry flour crusts on the net =)
I am terrible with recipes to be honest, or I'd give you mine, I just make things by feel, sorry!
You should use shortening for a lighter crust too. I hope that this helps a bit. Whole wheat flour, for me, has always made a heavy crust. Best of luck and happy baking!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  6:46:52 PM  Show Profile
My friend has her own pigs and swears by lard. I find that handling the crust as little as possible is so important. The Joy of Cooking always has basic recipes for most things- pie crust included!
~ MAry LD
Texas

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

rhondacate
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Rhonda
Janesville CA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  10:01:50 PM  Show Profile
Lard is key to lighter crusts. But I have not made a successful light flaky pie crust with all whole wheat flour.

I also always use ice water.

~Rhonda

http://rmfo-blogs.com/rhonda
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlermom
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Melissa
Logan AL
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  10:20:52 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes, if I can remember, I add a TB or less of vinegar in place of some of the water. It does seem to make it a lighter. You don't want to get the taste of the vinegar in it though! I agree with Mary on handling it as little as possible!
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  10:54:27 AM  Show Profile
Earth Balance shortening makes a fabulous pie crust. It's much better than Crisco and doesn't have all the yucky stuff in it that Crisco has. Be careful with lard, btw, as many commercial lards are hydrogenated.
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  6:51:29 PM  Show Profile
Wheat Montana has a whole wheat pastry flour (it's called Prairie Gold) that works wonders in pastry things. I've used it in crust for my quiche and it wasn't too heavy (not quite as light as the white flour), and I used lard. I know that Wheat Montana products are in some grocery stores now, so you might look for it and try it.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  12:03:32 PM  Show Profile
I make a great wheat pie crust. The key is to buy the whole wheat pastry flour as mentioned. Then I alter a basic pate-brisee recipe because they tend to be tough. I just use grated frozen butter and vegetable shortening and water, just eyeball it. Make sure you can see chunks of unblended butter, and dont work it much. Just make a loose ball. It will not look well mixed. wrap it up and get it super cold in the fridge for at least an hour. Then roll it out. I sometimes roll out several and then freeze them so I can use them for potpies or fruit pies or tarts. It never fails me and even my stickler granny tells me that I make the best pie crusts.

Of note, I am going to try Amanda's earth balance though, that sounds great!

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  06:55:44 AM  Show Profile
thanks ladies.