Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  07:28:26 AM  Show Profile
A true saying in most cases. This is my home now right here with all my kids and Richard. But this time of year it would be nice to go to my first home for a day. I posted a picture. Its been on before, but this time of year I always think of it more.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  07:49:59 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I know what you mean. I grew up in a little town in Eastern Washington and even though much of my family still lives there, my parents moved away a few years ago and it just isnt the same. It often feels weird that all my childhood memories are tied up in a community where our roots have been disturbed....Guess we can always go back in our mind tho...

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/ReneGroom
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com
www.renesnaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  11:52:22 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo even though I live a hundred miles from home its still home. I know my mom and dad wont have many years left and I try to have them here and go there as much as possible. Sterl misses his old homep;ace, he went by Sunday and said it looked abandonded. So many memories of home growing up with my brothers. Now one sister and three brothers was rough. One of mom and dads favorite things to talk about is how well their children get along. Wasnt like that many years ago Ha

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  12:16:43 PM  Show Profile
I've been thinking about this a lot, Nancy, especially when I go "up home" to Grove City, Ohio, where 4 generations of my family lived. Many happy childhood memories and some sad, too, center in little Grove City. My great-great grandmother's house is still standing, and my great grandmother's house, too, a block away from each other, though Great-Gram's house is very changed from the one 1/2 story I knew and loved and explored over and over again as a little girl. My mom's mom died 5 years ago, and her home is newly renovated since the people purchased it after she passed...it borders my Aunt (her sister's) back yard and it's all I can do now, when we visit Aunt Bernie, not to run right over there and walk right on in. My Great Aunt who lived 3 streets over now is also gone, and I feel as though my mom and I are strangers in a familiar land--that we don't have a "home" any more.

Guess "home" is in our hearts, now, like it's in yours, too.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  12:19:23 PM  Show Profile
Miss Wilma,
I would love to see a picture of yours and sterl's growing up homes. Three brothers?? Well you came out real good Miss. Wilma. HA.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  12:57:06 PM  Show Profile
I miss both my growing up home and my grandparesnts farm in Iowa. My home is now totally gone, demolished, and the farm was sold except for 14 acres that stayed in the family. But in my mind, both places are as clear as a bell. That is where we can still go home, I guess.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  3:45:22 PM  Show Profile
You can always go home...maybe not in body, but in your dreams, and your soul...

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  3:50:37 PM  Show Profile
i know how you feel nancy. the holidays always make you want to go back.

Karen ^_^

http://frommisstomissus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  06:33:46 AM  Show Profile
Nancy,
What a cool pic. At least you have a home memory. I was an Air Force Brat. I have lived all over the world. I clicked on your pic and saw you and your Dad Standing watching the plane. WOW that was soo cool. Treasure those memories. As I treasure mine of being an Air Force brat.

Blessings,
Tina
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  06:58:52 AM  Show Profile
I love the picture of your childhood home! What a wonderful place to grow up. What a blessing to have sweet memories also. I would not trade for my memories either. This time of year is certainly one of reflection that repeats itself. I always drift back to my past in my mind more this time of year than any other. I am just thankful I had family that made those memories.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  08:11:57 AM  Show Profile
My "home" is where my kids are.

All other "homes" have long since disappeared into the pages of time/memory.

Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  10:46:56 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by 1badmamawolf

You can always go home...maybe not in body, but in your dreams, and your soul...

Yup.

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

I have some other blogs in the works...please stay tuned and I'll let you know where to go! :-)

Go to Top of Page

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  1:09:24 PM  Show Profile
That looks like a beautiful place Nancy. And I too know what you mean. For many years I was depressed at Christmas, because I wanted to go back to where I grew up, but my Mother and Step Dad divorced and sold MY HOUSE. I finally chose to make memories with my own children and grandchildren, and some days still reminisce. But, its all good now. Making new memories.
Sheri

Many Hands Make Light Work!

...God made the seed to grow...1 Cor 3:6

The best fertilizer for a farm, are the farmers footsteps...

Edited by - Lynner on Dec 03 2009 1:24:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13645 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13645 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  06:26:51 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I am fortunate!!! I can see my first home from my front window!!!!
My hubby and I were able to build a house on acreage my dad deeded us in the mid-70s as "part of my inheritance". It is north and slightly uphill from the farmhouse I grew up in . . . brought there straight from the hospital.
My parents are both gone and we (their six children) sold the farm and that house is now occupied by someone else but I can see it . . . even visit it if I want and make arrangements. I can conjure up all kinds of memories.
Last Christmas morning I did just that. We had gotten a wonderful snow and it was snowing then. I got up before anyone else, took my pooch friend, bundled up and walked down there and just stood in the road, looking at the house, letting the snow fall on and around me and SAVORING the moment. IT WAS A CHRISTMAS GIFT I GAVE MYSELF!!!!!

Later that day we packed up and entire Christmas dinner,including turkey, ice cream and "special" beverages on my hubby's hay toboggan and walked to my sister's house 1/2 mile down the road, pulling dinner on the toboggan. My daughter and her family were here from Arizona. WE HAD A BLAST!!! WE MADE ONE-OF-A-KIND MEMORIES that day!!!

Hope to make more this year!!!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic You can't go home. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page