kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  11:21:00 AM  Show Profile
I have been pretty busy today. I started out making the bread dough from Mother Earth mag. It stores in the fridge for several weeks. Just take out however much you need to bake bread with. It looks easy. Also made dog treats from some beef broth I had made last week. I took all the goodies out and froze it. I made a big cookie sheet full. The dogs already had some and love them. I made my Kombucha tea. My house is really smoky and stinky from all the cast iron pots and pans that are in the oven curing. My mom gave me her old set and they were rusty. I am also cleaning a bookshelf in the living room. Then it's off to town to run some erands.

What are ya'll doing today?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  12:17:45 PM  Show Profile
What a productive day! I made bread, broccoli soup, cleaned the house and I'm going to rake leaves. I took my MIL to the airport early this am, too early actually, but I did not want her to miss the plane. I have a quilt top to finish this evening and I want to get a few odds and ends together for the thrift store also. Just every day stuff.

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  5:21:47 PM  Show Profile
Carol, I took a box of knick knacky things and a bag of clothes to my favorite thrift store. She said they didn't have room for anything right now. So I took it to the Goodwill truck. I need to take a truck load of stuff. It just seems to grow in my house. I'm glad your day was productive, too. Doesn't it feel good to get things done? My house still smells like rusty cast iron. I even left a gardenia candle burning.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

teathyme
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Tammy
Bay City MI
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  8:18:01 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only on a cleaning streak today. I've been trying to declutter, clean and bake today too. I've got tons of books, knick-knacks, kids clothes that I'm taking to Goodwill tomorrow. I've been scrubbing the floors, vacuuming, doing laundry, and washing all the glass off my hanging light fixtures today too. I didn't get to all of the baking I wanted to do, just a batch of oatmeal cookies this morning. Tomorrow I'm planning on baking banana nut muffins, chocolate chip banana bread, praline apple pie and more cleaning too. I think I need to buy more baking soda and vinegar for cleaning, especially the windows and bathroom.

Tammy (AKA - Tea)[url=http://teathyme.typepad.com/spototea/]Spot of Tea[/url]
Your only as happy as you decide to be. ~ Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  05:23:25 AM  Show Profile
Okay, so this is actually the next day, but I just saw this thread. BUT, yesterday I felt good enough to want to get out of the house. I still can't drive, and I have not been anywhere in 3 WEEKS! I called my daughter to come and pick me up. I took care of my parents lunch and got them settled into their recliners. Then my daughter and I and her 2 week old baby, took off to town. She wanted to know where I wanted to go, and I told her it doesn't matter just as long as I am out of the house. Well, she decided to take me out to lunch. We went to Red Lobster and it was sooo good. The baby slept the whole time. It was a great day. I know it doesn't seem like much to you guys, but I have been down for soo long. I can't wait til I am able to get things done around the house and just have FUN!!!!!!!!!!

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  07:11:40 AM  Show Profile
Tammy, sounds like you had a very busy day. And all the baking you'll do today! Yumm. Do you freeze alot or do you just have a big family? You'll have to share your praline apple pie. I canned apple pie filling so I could use that to make one. Sounds good. I clean with vinegar and baking soda, too. I need to buy stock in bs. I have goats and they eat alot of it, too. Have a great day today.

Gena, so glad to see you got to go out. That's great you got to spend time with your DD and the grandbaby. That is a big thing for you to do. I bet you were wore out when you got home. But after 3 weeks at home I bet you were ready to go!I wish we lived closer. I'd come get you, too.I hope you have a great day today.

I am getting ready to bake some of the bread this morning. It's resting now. I went out to the milk room to look at all the Christmas decorations. I didn't realize I have so many nutcrackers. I think I'll do a small nutcracker tree this year. So I will do some decorating today. I want to do the fireplace mantle with greenery and lights and candles. The buffet I will put my village on. That may be all I do.

Ya'll have a great day today!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  08:27:16 AM  Show Profile
Kris, I subscribe to Mother Earth News also. Which issue and bread recipe did you use? How was it? I am ready to do things inside at least.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  08:38:47 AM  Show Profile
Gena, I've seen it before in another issue but this one is in the Jan. '10 issue. It's in the oven now with a few more minutes to go. It used 5 1/2 cups whole wheat flour and 2 cups unbleached flour. It did not get as big as I'd hoped. I might not have gotten enuf dough. It said to put a baking stone in the oven 30 minutes before baking and my kitchen was all smoky. I think my oven needs a good cleaning! That will be my next project. I can't handle all this smoke in here. And it's too cold to open windows today.

Have you been to the "Chickens in the Road" blog yet? She's got a bunch of good recipes. I made her Grandma's bread. It's white but good. Sometimes I just want a good ole piece of white bread. It's heavy but good. She also has a forum.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  08:53:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow everyone has been so buy! I am working on cleaning the house too! I have a bag of donation items that need to get down to the local thrift. I am tired of having stuff around the house that neither gets worn or used. I am done with clutter! Now if only clutter was done with me!!

I have been doing laundry too and am about to go down and fold like a crazy woman! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MommaJ9
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Kimberly
Longview Washington
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  7:39:53 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, I made the 10 grain dough from Mother Earth today...I'll bake it tomorrow. So far, it looks good. I'm a little concerned about the rise though! Did your bread turn out?

Today, I deoderized the carpets with 1/2 cup baking soda, 1/2 cup borax and 10 drops of lavender oil...doesn't smell like stinky dog anymore! Then I tried to rearrange my living room so the Christmas tree could go up...I need a bigger living room. And my husband's help. Then my boys came in the living room and I realized that the smell wasn't the dogs, but my boys!

Ever feel like a hamster on a wheel?

Farmgirl #783
http://jabezfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  05:34:24 AM  Show Profile
Kris, Thanks for telling me about "Chickens in the Road". I can see I will visit that blog alot.
How did your bread turn out?

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  06:06:32 AM  Show Profile
Alee, I just love doing laundry. I like to put my face right down in the whole basket and smell the clean. It's been raining here the past few days so I can't hang my clothes out. I want to wash sheets so bad. I'll have to wait for that sunny day.

Kimberly and Gena, I baked the bread and I don't think I got a big enough piece. It says to not punch it down in the first rise when you first make it because that lets out all the gasses and that is needed for a good rise. I failed to obsorb that little tidbit of info. I read it after I had taken it out of the bread bowl to put in the plastic container to refrigerate. But when I went to get it out yesterday morning it had filled up the container. So I did exactly what the next step said, to let rest 90 minutes and heat the stone and all that. It took longer than 30 minutes to bake. It rose a little, not much. And it's a little heavy because I use fresh ground whole wheat berries. Not too awful much flavor, either. I'm used to using honey in the dough. Next time I am going to roast some garlic and put that with rosemary and extra sea salt. And get a bigger piece.

Kimberly, let me know how yours turns out. You may want to use a bigger piece too, to feed all your bunch! And that was so funny about the stinky boys! I am going out today to get Borax. I want to make up some of that carpet freshener for Christmas gifts. I need lavender oil too. I have got to get soap made now. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

My head is full of all I need to do but how can I get motivated today? I just need to go head first and get busy.

Oh, it also said to not be concerned if the dough doesn't rise before it's baked but it will rise while baking. You might want to add a little honey for some flavor.

I hope you try the bread, Gena.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  06:16:14 AM  Show Profile
I just looked on your blog, Kimberly. I am going to try your pecan pie and turkey tortellini. They both look too good.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  07:58:59 AM  Show Profile
You have scared me now. I think I will wait until you are pleased with your bread. It will really put me in a foul mood if I go to all that trouble, and it isn't even worth.
Okay Kris, you will have to be the guinea pig! LOL!

Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  08:21:17 AM  Show Profile
Well, I am resting up from my busy day yesterday. It all started on Tues. I kept hearing cows all night and then when I was leaving for a doctor appt. early that morning we pulled out on the road and there were about 30 head of cows out. No one knew who they belonged to so the place across the road let the sherrif put them there. We go off to the appt. and got back late, too late to check on our own cows. So, yesterday we start to check our cows and make sure they are ok and there is one missing. All day yesterday we walk for hours looking for the missing pregnant cow. We look across the creek, in all the mesquite and there's a lot of it. Then we noticed a car across the road..... it was the owners of the escaped herd of cows. They were getting mad because their cows were locked up on some elses property and kicking the fence trying to break the lock. We called the owner who was in Dallas Christmas shopping with his wife and he has to call Sheriff to come back out. By now we are cold , wet and tired. So we start looking at the lost herd and sure enough our cow is in there with them. The only think we can come up with is they were by the fence during the night and our one cow got over the fence and mixed in with them. Now we are checking all the fences.... FUN. I just feel fortunate that ours did not get hurt or hauled off with the rest of them.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

teathyme
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Tammy
Bay City MI
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  10:36:41 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like everyone has been busy and trying to get everything done. :)

I have a 'small family' of four but bake tons. I give some to my dad, who is now a widower, and doesn't bake for himself. And I give to the neighbors and freeze alot too. I recently became a SAHM so it has been great, fun, fulfilling and nerve wracking all at the same time. I love being a 'homemaker' and mom but some days I do miss adult interaction. So glad to find some others that love down-home farm girl type stuff that I can relate too. :)

Our house is finally starting to feel like a home. I love putting my personal touches and getting the whole thing cleaned up, smelling fresh, and looking fresh too. We purchased my hubby's childhood home from my MIL but I had a hard time making it mine while working all the time. Now I'm digging in and finding that I actually enjoy cleaning. Can't believe it but I somehow find it soothing. Now if I could just find a way to get 30+ year old stains out of matted ancient carpeting I'd be all set. :)

Tammy (AKA - Tea)[url=http://teathyme.typepad.com/spototea/]Spot of Tea[/url]
Your only as happy as you decide to be. ~ Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  11:54:00 AM  Show Profile
Gena, come on now. Where's your adventurous farmgirl spirit? It will probably be totally different for you, you know. I can't wait to try the roasted garlic and rosemary. It's gotta be good. And really, it doesn't take long to do. There's no kneading at all.

Peapicker, sounds like you had a day of cattle rustling. Why do people get so upset when someone has herded up their cattle and put them in a safe place? Good grief, they could be a little more grateful. And I am so glad you found your missing girl. What kind do you have? And how far along is the pregnant one?

Tammy, one day that house will only have you and your families imprint on it. It does take a long time to do it, though. We have been in this house 5 years. It was empty for several years and we had to completely gut the whole thing. 5 years later we are still working on it. I always wonder what the couple who built this house would say to all the changes we've made here. I wonder if they'd like it. One day we will be all done then we'll have to start all over again! It never ends.

I got my kitchen all cleaned up. The counters are bare for now. They won't be tomorrow. I also went out and cleaned the cat-dog room. It was stinking like pee. Nasty. I hated going in there. I took everything out and cleaned with bleach and soap. Musc nicer now. That also won't last long. But right now it feels good to have 2 clean rooms.

Now I am going to make soap. I got some more essential oils today and some lavender flowers. I'll make lavender soap first. Also I will make the carpet freshener.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2009 :  06:36:31 AM  Show Profile
I made my soap yesterday. I found a video on the internet and kind of followed what she did. I took the soaps out of the molds too soon, though. But they should be fine. I made lavender, peppermint, rosemary with rosemary leaves added, rose with small rose petals added, and calendula. I added goats milk to the melting soap, too. I hope it all turns out. I will be giving some as Christmas gifts. I am so excited. I have been wanting to learn how to make soap ever since I got these goats. It was very lathery, too.

And I got my oven cleaned, too. I used vinegar and baking soda. It did a good enuf job.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2009 :  07:07:57 AM  Show Profile
kris, how did your bread turn out. i have the mother and was going to try it too. did you get the oven squeeky. i hate cleaning ovens.want to try the bread recipe for sure.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2009 :  12:59:36 PM  Show Profile
Sherry, the bread was ok but needs some oomph to it. It's a little bland to me. And dense. I hope you try it and let me know how yours turns out. I'm sure it will be totally different than mine. I use freshly ground whaet berries. I might have to buy some wheat flour and try that.

Yes, the oven's clean. It didn't smoke at all today. Nice!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

MommaJ9
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Kimberly
Longview Washington
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  6:37:21 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, I finally baked my bread (my arm was in a sling for a few days), and it turned out great! Instead of making 4 round loaves, I made 2 oblong loaves. I used fresh ground flour too, but I used hard white. It seems to be a little lighter than the red. I want to figure out how to make rolls with the recipe, but am not sure how to transfer them to the baking stone...could take awhile!

Today, I was able to type with 2 hands instead of peckin' with one. What a difference that makes! I started some Christmas crafts and spent way too much time in the quilt shop. Made an awesome dinner for my brood only to find out that they were going Christmas caroling...guess we'll be eating that 4 lb. meatloaf for lunch...forever. All in all, a pretty good day!

Farmgirl #783
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  9:06:10 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly, I am so glad your bread turned out good. Did it rise big enough? I had to throw the rest of the dough out. It smelled like it had fermented. I'll have to try again with the hard white. And make a bigger loaf.

What happened to your arm? I hope you get back to normal soon. The meatloaf sounds really good and huge! Sounds like you had a busy day at your place.

It was too cold here to do much outside. I am not liking this cold. Already I'm ready for spring and some warmth again.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

MommaJ9
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Kimberly
Longview Washington
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  7:00:54 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, my bread DID rise high enough! I was pleasantly surprised! The second batch was a little stickier, but I think that it was in the fridge a little too long. Tasted okay though...there wasn't any left after the kids found it, so I guess that's their "Atta girl"!

I ended up with bursitis in my shoulder. Apparently, holding my granddaughter in my left arm while working in the kitchen wasn't such a great idea! Seemed like a good one at the time...it's hard to say no to a 14 month old, curly haired, blue-eyed, chubby cheeked punkin, that tugs on the legs and says, "Nana"...I'd like to say I learned my lesson, but I'll probably do it again...

We're waiting on our first snowstorm of the season. It's been between 9 and 24 degrees for a week now, so the snow will be a nice treat. If it's going to be this cold, snow gives us a reason to go outside! Well, other than going out to chip ice out of the cow and chicken waterers! We'll be back to molding next week...

Farmgirl #783
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2009 :  11:54:57 AM  Show Profile
Sorry, but where can I find the Chickens in the Road blog?

Thanks!

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

"Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you" - Maori Proverb

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2009 :  12:02:28 PM  Show Profile
I just type in CITR and it will take you to the forum. Then click on Home. That'll take you to her blog. Hope that helps. You'll love her blog. She is the sweetest person.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2009 :  12:09:18 PM  Show Profile
where are you when you type in CITR? Google?

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

"Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you" - Maori Proverb

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Busy Day Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page