Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What Christmas gift for 15 yr old
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What Christmas gift for 15 yr old Next Topic  

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  09:24:41 AM  Show Profile

I've been trying to think of something totally different/special Christmas gift for our 15 yr old grand daughter. She has her own tastes in clothes, jewelry, & has a cell phone. We don't want to give her a gift certificate, (She could use one), but it seems so impersonal. She is past toys, & we want something unique, but I am brain dead when it comes to thinking of a gift. Thanks for any and all ideas.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1704 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1704 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  9:35:17 PM  Show Profile
You could make a card stating that you and your grand daughter could have a girls day out and she could pick out an outfit or something (within reason). Take her to lunch and then shopping. When my girls were tht age I did that and they loved it. That's the only thing that I could come up with. Good luck.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  9:42:11 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
My grandma does that with me and my sister and it's alot of fun!!!
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  10:26:14 PM  Show Profile
I asked my 15 year old grand-daughter what she wanted for Christmas and she said--Money--gift card to a store she likes (clothes) something for her horse. but mostly money to go toward Drivers Ed. It is 450 dollars at her school the same at a private auto school. whew!! MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  05:15:52 AM  Show Profile
Yep same here my son is 15 and all he wants is a gift card. Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  07:43:45 AM  Show Profile
I couldn't help but smile at the answers on this post. My husband is 28 and all he ever wants for Christmas anymore is gift cards..hehe. Guess some kids never grow up completely. ;)
hugs,

Jessie

People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,
but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  08:03:01 AM  Show Profile
I appreciate the comments so far. Things were so much simpler when the kids were younger...things advertized on cereal boxes and little things on TV commercials. It seems that Corinna is the same as Mary Beth's and Karen's teeners. But I like what Laurie and Channah suggested. Thank you for taking the time for your suggestion. If others have some ideas, I'll probably be using them all. ;0)

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  08:27:15 AM  Show Profile
I just read a piece on how a large percentage of gifts that we angonize over and think are perfect for the person are really not appreciated by the person. You might love a handmade apron and pot holder but the person receiving it might not be thrilled. I am sometimes amazed at the beautiful handmade things I find at thrift stores that someone put so much time in and there it is at the thrift stores. Well I appreciate them and buy them. Teenagers are especiallly hard to buy for. I usually give my niece a check but it's always tucked with a little momento. I think each year giving the cash and a handmade or purchased ornament would be a cute thing to do. When they are old enough to leave home they have a little set of ornaments each with a memory attached would be something they would cherish especially when they are older. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  08:50:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
When I was 15 I loved reading books, but there are so many gadgets these days that kids view as essentials- laptops, phones etc that I think they are harder to buy for. I think a day out where you guys go watch a movie together and maybe go shopping after would be lots of fun and a good present. Another idea is getting her some jewelry and a fragrance. "Curve" is a good fragrance that most girls seem to like and it's not to expensive. Get Crystal of Cubic zirconia jewelry is a good way to get the flashy "bling" look without spending too much. Or does she have hobbies like horses or skiing or something?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  09:02:47 AM  Show Profile
Is there a musical instrument your grand daughter has shown interest in but never tried? Or perhaps a hobby,(knitting?) If musical interest,but no definate instrument in mind,try something small & portable-like a ukulele (all styles of music being played on them these days) mandolin (but be sure it's been set up to tune & play properly before you buy)
Lots of sales going on-shop around! And hopefully you'll find something soon.

http://www.pluckyfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.mandochicks.com
http://mandolinbabe.net
http://www.mandolinbabe.com
http://www.mtndulcimer.com

@MandolinChick on Twitter
fingerpickin Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  09:25:05 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Books are always a good choice. You could pick a classic or maybe something off the best sellers list.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog...Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  4:53:55 PM  Show Profile
I loved getting books for Christmas when I was a teen :). And usually something different than my sister - which only happened like once. Does your granddaughter collect anything?

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  05:23:25 AM  Show Profile
My inlaws ask for a list from my kids for Christmas. I have 15 & 19 yo dd's & 20 yo ds. My 15 yo dd went to the store websites that she likes & gave links for ideas of what she likes. That way my inlaws can go to the store & purchase or order online. Another thing she normally asks for is movies, i-tunes cards, & of course gift cards. I personally dont like to give gift cards too much because its more fun to open something on Christmas. But I sometimes stick a starbucks card in their stocking so they can get a favorite drink.
I think movie tickets are a good idea & like Alee said, perfume & jewelry, or make up(if its worn)too.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2009 :  08:49:41 AM  Show Profile
I really have appreciated all the comments. I am using a combination of many of them for my 3 grand-daughters. I asked for a list from their mother (asked one from her & my sil also) which will be helpful. I am steering away from clothes as to color & style. I am starting a yearly Christmas ornament for the 2 older girls. The youngest is 7, & easier to buy for, but with the 15 and 13 yo, I will take them individually out for lunch & shop for an outfit. Since our family is relatively small, I try to get each girl 2 or 3 little gifts. With the economy as it is, I think 2 will be great. I can do different things from your suggestions for all 3. I am sure others will or have this dilemna & can use these suggestions as well. Thanks again, & if there are more suggestions, I am still listening.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What Christmas gift for 15 yr old Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page