Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Spine surgery/ injections - update
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Spine surgery/ injections - update Next Topic  

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  7:57:06 PM  Show Profile
Okay, so after seeing the neuro-surgeon today about that pinched nerve which turned out to be a couple of herniated discs, he says I need surgery. They would remove a disc and then fuse the surroundind vertebrae. This is in the c6-7 area. He says a series of shots might help, but eventually I would need the surgery. I am seeing another Dr next week for a second opinion.

Has anyone here or do you gals know anyone who has had a surgery like this?

I would appreciate any stories. I have always heard that if you get cut on your spine its either really good or really bad. I have already had a lot of pain so I know what I have, but its not livable for the long term.

Any thoughts? Please send some good thoughts my way as I make this decision. Thank you.

UPDATE:
I have seen the 2nd Dr and it seems surgery in inevitable. This Dr wants to try some injections to help with the pain and to put off the surgery. Anyone do injections for pain? I guess its like an epidural.

Edited by - Roxy7 on Dec 09 2009 8:11:22 PM

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  9:17:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You might want to ask about the new replacement disks instead of fusing. I have heard good things about them!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  06:03:21 AM  Show Profile
I thnink he said they would put in a new disc but still fuse them.
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  09:58:26 AM  Show Profile
I have had the steroid/anesthetic injections. Mine is mild in the lumbar area. I work in healthcare and have rarely seen anything go wrong with the surgeries. Occasionally people will not follow up or will not follow instructions and will reinjure. Then we have a problem. I would tell you, that when I need the surgery, when I have pain all the time I will be having the surgery. No hesitation, no question.

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  10:08:36 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sarah. Thats good to know.
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  10:49:19 AM  Show Profile
Robin,
I don't know anything about that kind of surgery but, I am sending prayers your way.

Blessings,
Tina
Go to Top of Page

momshopsalotta
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Connie
Hertford NC
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  2:13:24 PM  Show Profile
I had the surgery slightly higher up in my "C" section summer of 2007. Had no one to take care of me and was doped up pretty good for about four days, then actually drove and went to school 10 days later (in a neck brace). I was supposed to recoup for six weeks but whatever! I had a plate and four screws put in my neck. It sure looks funny on an x-ray. The only problem I've had since is a stiffness (almost like a dry area) in my neck. I'm aware of it but its alot better than having your arm fall asleep everytime you raise your arm above your head. I was an fine arts student at the time and would have to duct tape the paintbrush to my hand and paint sitting down, not ideal for an artist. I also had the shots before the surgery but the effects only lasted about a week so I opted for the operation. I do have a VHS tape the surgeon gave to me I could forward to you if interested. Just e-mail me and let me know or I can e-mail you my phone and we could talk about it.
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  7:48:19 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the prayers.

Connie,
Thanks for your insight. I know what you mean about not being able to do the things you like. I have had the injury for a long time but an accident in 2002 made it worse. I havent picked up my guitar in ages. bending over and looking down is painful.

I get a shot on the 23rd. I hope it gives me some relief to think about whats next.
Go to Top of Page

momshopsalotta
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Connie
Hertford NC
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  3:12:45 PM  Show Profile
Robin,
Just let me know if I can answer any more questions andif you would like me to send that VHS tape on to ya. Don't sweat the shot, it's not bad at all!!
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  07:06:59 AM  Show Profile
Connie, thanks for the offer. I dont have a vcr anymore. I have started physical therapy and will be getting an injection next week. I will see if those work before I do the surgery.

I am glad to know the surgery isnt horrid. Its very svary because you hear nightmare stories about them all the time. Did you ever try the traction machine? We used one yesterday and it felt pretty good. I guess they can write a prescription for one.

I have asked for drugs with the shot. Its so close to my head I dont want to squirm! Did you use them or did you just go for it?
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  07:39:25 AM  Show Profile
When you say traction machine are you talking about an inverter? Like you clip your legs in and hang in it? I have one. I wouldnt be without it.

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  09:33:41 AM  Show Profile
The traction is one like this. My insurance doesnt cover it. Joy. Stupid question,. How easy is it to get in and out of an inverted position? I also have bad discs in my power back.

http://www.rehaboutlet.com/cervical_traction.htm
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2009 :  8:36:03 PM  Show Profile
I had the injections today and I am sore. I didnt feel as bad as I expected, but I am moving slow. Thank God for the good drugs during. I had to lay at an angle that just about made me cry.
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Spine surgery/ injections - update Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page