Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Did we ever get a Camping Forum up and running?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Did we ever get a Camping Forum up and running? Next Topic  

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  4:39:31 PM  Show Profile
I thought I had been reading about it a while back and now can't seem to locate it. Maybe it was just a thread?

Anyway...I'm lamenting about my favorite tent. Blew away (or was stolen) right out of the front yard a while back (after the Relay for Life and I was drying it out). So, I've asked Santa for two new smaller ones for the motorcycle. Same style, just for two people though and about 1/2 the weight. I will miss my old one though (Tetragon 7). I fit perfect in it...alone with my cot...a nice rug...and even a small table and chair. My little guy and I fit with a full size air mattress and room for gear too! So, even if we want to camp, we'll have to go smaller (Tetragon 5). They are on sale right now at campmor.com for 60-something...with a 30$ rebate. So...I can get two for the price of one (for 4 people)

And...I'm thinking about smaller sleeping bags too. The ones we have (though very nice and comfy) are just too big for the bikes. I saw a tv ad for these "dreamies"...like satin bags for travel in hotels and what-not. 20$ for two/separate shipping. Most likely great for summer but probably too light for spring, especially in the mountains. So if we took one light weight fleece for each bike, and dressed for weather...we should be warm enough...I think.

But then there's this Suisse Sport Adventure Extra-small Mummy Lightweight Bag. About 40$ each at amazon.com rates down t 40 degrees and packs down to 12 x 7. I'd need 4.

Anyone have any experience with either the satin sheet thing or the Suisse Sport?

We're headed out to Yellowstone (from Michigan) most likely in June 2011. But we want to practice this summer on a couple longer trips with all the "gear". 3 bikes (my husband, myself, and my son, w/my youngest riding with Dad...)

Thanks!

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  6:26:05 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hi "T",
We are working on it... I really want to schedule some events all over the US.. where girls can meet up, based on their region, with other farmgirls... So watch for details... The chosen name for the group was/is "farmgirls/Sisters" on the loose.

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/ReneGroom
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com
www.renesnaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  9:00:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Do you mean the MaryJane's Farm Outpost? www.maryjanesoutpost.org and the forum there http://www.maryjanesoutpost.org/dispatch/

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on Nov 28 2009 9:01:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2009 :  9:30:38 PM  Show Profile
Yep, a number of us discussed having a group called "Farmgirls on the Loose" as "Sisters on the Loose" sounds to much like "Sisters on the Fly"( a group that Rene, Heather & I are menbers of...)
I think(if memory serves me well) we discusssed dividing the group up into geographical sections, North/West/South & East and have a "go to leader" to try to toss out ideas & organize get togethers....but now I too am going to have to go back to the Spring postings to find out who "we" are....lol!
I can just see us now, mid summer... MJF gals all over the country meeting up, dutch oven, sweet tea & aprons....lol oh and ofcource reading our MJF magazines & chatting about the next projects we want to get into...
I have been collecting so much stuff that I may need a U-haul truck just to carry my trailer stuff in...LOL!
I just got 2 more aprons from Mustang Sally, 1 for my Scotty & 1 for my Aljo(pic on trailer blog Gracies vic.rose)

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Nov 29 2009 9:33:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  05:26:53 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Yes, I too am interested in 'Farmgirls on the loose', I think it would suit me and my vintage aljo (if I ever get it remodeled) just fine. I would feel safe in numbers. That way I will have someone to help be back her up! lol

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com http://www.thevintagebaglady.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  08:04:21 AM  Show Profile
I'd love that! Well, my tow vehicle kicked, so now I can't use my "camper"...but I'd certainly be willing to roll up on my motorcycle and hang with you ladies! Can't bring too much on the bike but I'm certain I could bring "enough"....

But Karen...we'd have to get someone else to back your aljo up...cause that was NEVER one of my strong suits either!!! LOL.
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  09:40:27 AM  Show Profile
I'd love to get in on this too. I don't have a travel trailer (yet, fingers crossed, someday) but I could learn how to pitch a tent, I'm sure.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher
http://beesinourbonnetsintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  10:21:30 AM  Show Profile
I don't have a travel trailer ...yet but there are some BEE-U-TEE-Full places to camp, gather up and have fun not too far from where I live...Maybe we should post a favorite camping areas and hidden treasures thread?...I have a book on hot springs in Idaho and Washington (if I can find it in my re-organizing mess) I haven't camped a lot in my life, but I would enjoy Glamping and gather-ups of fellow sisters and farmgirls...kind of like an outdoors sleep over...just think off the fun we could all have and new friends we'd make! So regional camping gather-ups would be a hoot!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  10:26:24 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
My hopes/thoughts are that we could plan weekends~ and then have several places that girls could meet up ( closest to them) and then share our weekends on the forum... What do you think?

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  10:36:16 AM  Show Profile
Sounds just wonderful! I may need rides, since I personally am too near sighted to drive, but I'm game for the adventure! I have a big tent, and a ground pad, just need a sleeping bag and a minimal amount of cooking gear and I'm ready. Wow! this could be so fun! Will it be a girls only type of thing or are we bringing menfolk too?

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  9:13:28 PM  Show Profile
Well I say come Summer we set a plan into action....there are a lot of great places to camp....and we can Glamp in true MJF girl fashion.....
The 1st weekend of June a group of us 'Sisters on the Fly' will be camping in Spokane....I'll post more info as the time draws near....so if any of you would like to stop by to see our trailers, we would love to show them off.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  04:29:12 AM  Show Profile
I love all your trailers! They are soooooo cool. I used to dream of a little trailer or a small motorhome and getting out there on the open road. I even bought a little sewing machine cause I thought I could get some sewing done outdoors... Now, it seems we each are on two wheels! Not a lot of space for "stuff". But I can still shove some knitting in a bag somewhere....
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  1:11:40 PM  Show Profile
DH and I stayed at a KOA in Moab where they had cabins. A place like that would be nice since they have space for tent camping, RV's and the cabins.

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  7:06:31 PM  Show Profile
Hey StarMeadow,,,
2 words....."Side Car" lol! you could store your sewing machine, tent,dutch oven & MJF magazines in it!
Now to decide who has to have the Side Car attached to whose bike.....
I don't miss my Suzuki Marauder 800 but I DO miss my Yamaha V-Star 650....that was a fun bike.
DH had a Suzuki LC-1500 Intruder or as hubby called it, a Barca-lounger on wheels! lol!

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Dec 01 2009 7:07:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

boone girl
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

aimee
Boone nc
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  05:16:22 AM  Show Profile
This is an awesome idea! My boyfriend bought an A-frame camper but my jeep doesnt have a hitch. I do however have a tent. There are so many places that have cabins and hostels. Here in the east my neck of the woods there are many many great places to camp along the blue ridge parkway.

Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  08:19:36 AM  Show Profile
What a GREAT idea!!! I have a Magna V30... It's a little 500 but has a ton-o zip! Take on any Harley on the twisties to be sure....

I don't know if my hubby (Magna V65) would ride with me if I had a side car....hmmmmm. Maybe I could pull one of those little trailers....LOL (son has a V45)
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  09:05:35 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Well if he does.... make sure to get photos.. I can see him now with the black leather goggles and bowl cap.. :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  09:47:54 AM  Show Profile
Hey "T"
I kid you not, I recenty saw a cycle towing a little 'cargo trailer', even had matching paint job...I suspect it would take some getting use to, towing w/a bike but then again, WE can Do anything we put our minds TO! Right?

Rene'
I see some fun MJF & SOTF Glamping trips in our future come summer, don't you Rene' ?
Oh did I tell ya, Irene (Rawlings) got her sister number....(1366~ I think)
I keep meaning to buy her book "The Clothes Line" but keep forgetting...sign of dementia,,,guess I better drink some more coffee to ward it off! lol!
Or...I could just sneak down to Firemama's sewing room & steal her copy! lol!

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Dec 02 2009 09:49:23 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Did we ever get a Camping Forum up and running? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page