Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Finally "Got Rid" of Some Critters. UPDATE!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Finally "Got Rid" of Some Critters. UPDATE! Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  1:30:13 PM  Show Profile
I put a sign out front the other day for free roosters and guineas. A guy came by yesterday while I was out and my hubby called to make sure they got the right ones. He took all 14 guineas and 5 of the roos. 1 got away. So he's running around here causing problems for the other guys. I need to try and catch him and get him to the others. The guy has a farm and wanted them to just run around the place. I really don't care what he does with them as long as they aren't here anymore. It's been so quiet without them all. And lots less work for me now.

I need to sell 3 bucks now and 1 more doe and I'll be good to go. I have come to a place where I need less around here. I am running myself ragged trying to get them all fed and watered. And I do not need 5 bucks. And I have decided not to sell goat milk anymore. So we just need 3 does for us.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Dec 09 2009 1:18:24 PM

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  1:55:25 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thats great Kristin!!
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  4:12:17 PM  Show Profile
Kris! no more pacing guineas! I must tell Cherry! Glad you downsized now you can come visit :)
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  4:24:08 PM  Show Profile
I hear ya girlfriend. I have really gotten down to the bare bones around here too.
I do realize if my finances and health wer to improve, I would just start collecting critters again.
Hey, I got 5 eggs from my 6 Buff hens yesterday!!!

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  5:09:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh now I am SO jealous! 5 eggs. Wow, that is great. What's it feel like? I forgot. I did get my one fresh just layed egg today. I am happy to get it. I am just at a point in my life where I need things to be easy. So this is one way to do it for me. How's the knee?

Kelly, believe me, I was not sad to see Stupid White Guinea leaving! I hope he makes it at his new home. I hope the guy knows to keep them penned up awhile and doesn'y just let them go. I would love to come visit. Next time I'm over that way and not in a hurry, I'll call you.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2009 :  08:13:48 AM  Show Profile
I had to downsize to , so I know what you mean. I still have a trio of silver seabright I would like to find a home, I have 2 americanas that keep my hubby and I enough eggs and I have one nigora goat and one merino sheep to keep me enough wool. I like that there is not so much work anymore too. very simple to take care of...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2009 :  08:25:38 AM  Show Profile
Kris, it seems once they started laying, they really lay alot. I got 1 egg a day for 3 weeks, then they all caught on I guess.
My knee is doing better, it just seems I have been on the mend for so long. With my parents living here, my knee recooping and I haven't been ANYWHERE in 3 WEEKS, I think I am a little depressed.
It is so nice to keep up with all you girls! I will live my life through you guys for now.

Go to Top of Page

KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2009 :  11:17:00 AM  Show Profile
Fabulous! But not busy? That does not seem like you! You will have to make time to come :)

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2009 :  4:24:03 PM  Show Profile
Kind of OT, but I sure do understand about downsizing. We had to. Not just fish but even downsizing in other areas of our lives.

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

I have some other blogs in the works...please stay tuned and I'll let you know where to go! :-)

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2009 :  9:01:46 PM  Show Profile
A friend called tonight and wants a buck! She'll come this next weekend to see them. That would be great if she gets one. That would leave 4. And there are some people up the road that bought 2 this spring, a wether and his sister. So they need a buck now. I might ride down there tomorrow and see them.

Slowly but surely I am getting these numbers down to a manageable flock and herd. Still have too many roosters though. And they are roosting way up in the trees. Too high for me to get to them. They are not too much trouble yet. The one that got loose is trying to get him some girls from the other roo. And they are after each other. The 3 brother roos get along pretty good. They are always together.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  1:21:42 PM  Show Profile
A guy came today and bought 3 of the bucks!!!!!!!!!! Yeah!!!! And he took the last 4 roosters, too!!!!!!!! I am so happy! I am now down to 2 bucks, a Nubian and a Lamancha. 4 does, 3 Lamancha and a Nubian. 1 heifer. 20 hens and 2 roos. That is so nice to be where I am now. It's been really quiet without those noisy guineas.

But come March and April we'll be starting all over again. I just hope we have some girls this time around.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  2:27:38 PM  Show Profile
Yea Kris!! It sure is good not to worry about frozen water as much, after you downsize. That was my biggest issue through the winter. We have drop cords everywhere. Last year the so called "heated buckets" , half of them quit working after about a month!

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  08:07:38 AM  Show Profile
It did freeze again last night but is gorgeous right now. I just haul water in buckets from the house. Thank goodness I don't have to do it all the time. I can just break the ice most of the time. And the animals don't really drink as much here in winter anyway.

Yes, the workload had dropped drastically now! It's not near as much work. I was going to keep the 2 bucks apart form the girls but they had other ideas last night. The Lamancha buck was nearly screaming so I had to put them in with the girls or I would have had to lesten to that all night. They were in the back yard and my bedroom is right next to it. He was rather loud. I think he missed his buddies already. Poor guy.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  7:16:41 PM  Show Profile
Going Monday to take the other 2 bucks to Whitwell, Tn. to stay with a friend til I need them again next year. This is great! I can get them all fed and watered now in about 10 minutes!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Finally "Got Rid" of Some Critters. UPDATE! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page