Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 What did you do today? Avoiding Black friday...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic What did you do today? Avoiding Black friday... Next Topic  

quiltin_kate
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Kate
Marlboro NY
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2009 :  2:53:32 PM  Show Profile
I am not a fan of the commercial craziness of black friday. So, the last several years my girlfriends and I have had craft day. We do something that we can give as gifts for Christmas. We start out around 11:00am and have snacks, coffee and figure out our project. Then we have lunch. Once we get luch picked up, we get our projects well underway. It is a tradition that moves to a different person's house each year and the project is chosen by a different person each year. It is a nice way to learn something new and to stay connected.
What do you do instead of shopping?
Kate

Farmgirl Sister #862
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken" Oscar Wilde

idcityrose
True Blue Farmgirl

202 Posts

Rose
Idaho City Idaho
USA
202 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2009 :  3:13:42 PM  Show Profile
What a good idea! I am working Black Friday, today, so I didn't go anywhere. I am not really tempted because I shop year round for Christmas gifts. People I give presents to get unique, unusual, handmade or collectable gifts that I either make myself or find at yard sales and thrift store. I shop for everyone that way and no one is offended when they get something that cannot be purchased in a store and they can add to their collections.
Black Friday, I think not!

We are never alone in the forest of Sisters! We "Mountain Farmgirls" are outstanding in our field!

Edited by - idcityrose on Nov 27 2009 3:14:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2009 :  3:54:38 PM  Show Profile
Today is the day we pull out all of the tubs with the Christmas decorations in them. There are 20 just with outside lights in them, they are all marked on where they go (what buildings), which includes both houses and the 3 big barns, plus the chicken houses. We have solar systems to light them up, otherwise I could not run them all off my house solar and windpower, well i could, but I'm not running cords all over. We have solar lit candycanes that line both sides of the driveways, plus we have those giant plastic ornaments that go on the 4 pine trees. The over the top decorating was something my late hubby started many years ago, ever since, and even since he passed, every year one of us, kids included, would come back from town with something to add to the madness, lol. All of it is Santa Claus type decor, and it takes us about a week to get it all up. The funnest decoration was a few years back I came home with one of those air blown 10 ft tall snow globes, got it all set up, and the elves inside were waving back and forth, and my 4 legged protector deceided that they were going to attack me, and in 30 seconds flat, it was shredded into confetti, so no more of those,lol. Its a good time for all, and takes up a big portion of everyday, but this time of year, we have the time.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2009 :  3:57:27 PM  Show Profile
P.S., I one time did the black friday, about 15 years ago with my sister and mom, they were out for Thanksgiving, and I thought we were going to have to shoot our way out, and I've never gone again. Hubby had me and him "try" and go one other time since, the parking lots ended that idea real quick, lol.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2009 :  4:31:39 PM  Show Profile
I've never done the Black Friday Shopping thing either. I worked today. My mom talked me into going shopping with her tomorrow...hope it's settled down some!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Brownie Lady
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Vanessa
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2009 :  5:26:36 PM  Show Profile
I know that the real reason it is "black" Friday is because those "super sales" put the stores into the black and get them out of the red, but...

I had a friend back in college who was from Queens, NY and attended Catholic school as a kid. He told me that the reason for the term "Black Friday" was because school was closed and all the nuns hit the streets shopping and all you could see was their black clothing, a "sea of black" was the way he described it. He actually grew up thinking that was why it was called "Black Friday." LOL

As for me, I stayed home.

Vanessa
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2009 :  5:48:47 PM  Show Profile
No way would I get caught up in that craziness. Never have. I do not like to shop at anytime. When I get desperate for something to wear I hit the end of season sales at 75% off and buy enough to last the year. A boatload. We only buy Christmas for our moms and two daughters. Last year I crocheted our moms two scarves each and they loved them. Now hitting the thrift and re-sale shops is a different story. I love that. It's fun.

www.cottagebythebay.blogspot.com

~Trust in the Lord...but row away from the rocks~
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2009 :  8:12:47 PM  Show Profile
I went to some craft sales today with my sister in law and her daughter. I agree on the thrift and consignment shops . I love shopping at those.

Happiness is having
farmgirl friends.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2009 :  8:41:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What a great idea! I must admit I did go to the black friday thing at the local walmart but only because they had coats on sale for $15 that are normally $50. It saved us $70 and we really needed them. But I really like the idea of working on crafts instead of shopping!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  08:28:34 AM  Show Profile
No way I was going out in that!! Most of my friends who went have small children, but even when my children was small I never hit those sales. We always added on to their gifts, my son loved Legos, and my daughter loved her baby dolls so I was able to shop for those things year round. I worked Thanksgiving, and was so tired I slept unitl 9:30 Friday morning!

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  11:29:25 AM  Show Profile
We went roller skating! They called it the "belly ache skate". We had so much fun.

Farm Girl #790

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  4:18:12 PM  Show Profile
Had medical tests to do at 7am.... But I did hit a couple stores for this-n-that. Not too bad at the ones I stopped at... Then I took in 6 bags of good clothes to the Salvation Army (and brought out a small one....) Seems like they should give barter credit or something, don't you think. Hit the antique store in search of a couple little things... and then home.
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  6:28:46 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Kate!
I am with you. I have avoid Black Friday for years....and make it a special priority to work on my homemade things....I am much happier for it.!

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/ReneGroom
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com
www.renesnaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

quiltin_kate
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Kate
Marlboro NY
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  7:29:20 PM  Show Profile
I love all of the thoughts and quips that you all have shared with me about Black Friday - thanks for sharing!

Farmgirl Sister #862
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken" Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic What did you do today? Avoiding Black friday... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page