Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 How did you get to the country?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic How did you get to the country? Next Topic
Page: of 2

gr8tfulmom
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Sarah
South Haven MI
143 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2009 :  1:11:15 PM  Show Profile
Just wondering what others' stories were. I grew up in the country, but after a rotten marriage and divorce went to the city, met my dh and moved across the state, then back to the city. We were quite comfortable in our little subdivision on the edge of the city limits, BUT, that is where we figured out we had to come back home. For us it was the fact that we couldn't go outside to our gardens in our pajamas without the neighborhood getting in an uproar, forget going braless. There are many, many reasons I love being back here, but being comfortable at our own place was the biggest

How about the rest of you farmgirls? I know some of you have never left the beauty around you, but what about the movers in the group?

Farmgirl sister #779

http://symbioticstitches.blogspot.com/

kmc
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

kai
iowa
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2009 :  3:37:20 PM  Show Profile
This is our 3rd winter in the country both my DH and I had grandparents who lived in the country and it was his dream to move to the country. It has been an up hill battle with nature where we are but we love it more and more all the time. Now our passion is doing all we can to be self sustaining. The garden gets bigger every year and our skills are widening. We have a million dollar view from every window (in my opinion) of the rolling loess hills and my son is learning skills he will never learn in school. I love wandering around the garden in my jammies with a cup of coffee and talking to the chickens
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2009 :  3:44:07 PM  Show Profile
I was born here; have never left, and never will leave.

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2009 :  4:08:55 PM  Show Profile
Was born in the country, Missouri, my parents farm/ranch. Met my hubby, got married, jumped on the back of the Harley, and rode around back country roads, got lost here in California, ended up infront of the place that would become home, had a 4sale sign up, a small old house ( was originaly a stage coach relay station), 170 acres, the price was right, and the rest is history.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2009 :  8:04:54 PM  Show Profile
I have lived in the country all my life. All the roads out here used to be gravel but they are all black top now. I grew up next door, my baby sister lives there now. After my Papa died my dady and mom moved to his farm, which is just around the corner from where we live now. Grandpas farm is home to us all and I'm happy that its been passed down. I will live there one day, but Im in no hurry. It is a very special place to all of us. My sister living right next to me is wonderful. My older brother lives in town, and another younger sister lives about ten miles away. So, I've lived in the country all my life, with my parents and grandparents, and lots of family members that live around the corner, up the road, across the field, we're everywhere, lol

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

"Courage is being scared to death... but saddling up anyway" ***John Wayne

http://main.acsevents.org/goto/iloveyoumom

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kmc
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

kai
iowa
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2009 :  8:17:54 PM  Show Profile
Mikki- You are so fortunate in my opinion!!!! Families don't hand down farmsteads like they use to. Well at least around here they don't. Hang on tight to it and pass it to your children and instill in them what you know.
Go to Top of Page

ramonaj
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

rhonda
gibsons british columbia
Canada
118 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  7:15:19 PM  Show Profile
I wanted to live in the country most of my life. when we left Texas, that was part of the deal: we need to get a farm to settle on or I'm going back home. so after looking all over BC, we found the perfect place for us to build our house and start our small farm. Love the life, can't imagine anything else at this stage of my life.

happiness to all sentient beings
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  2:39:47 PM  Show Profile
Well, I kind of started in the country... when I was 11, my dad, who had just graduated from med school, moved our family from the suburbs to the country. It was definitely country, but it was a small development (7 houses in what used to be farm land), that has since grown quite a lot. There were a lot of woods and fields, a huge egg farm right down the road. We didn't have a farm, but if you saw it you would know it was country. After I married, dh and I went from small town, to city, then stayed in the city for 15 years, before we went back to the country. When we sold our big old house in the country, 4 years ago, we moved back to town. I liked it for about a month, but it took us almost 2 years to get out of there. We moved back to the country a year ago, and I can say now, I will never live anywhere but the country again! I do consider the small towns around here country towns, because they are so few and far between. The nearest cities are just about an hour from here in any direction.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

If you rest, you rust. Helen Hayes

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

gr8tfulmom
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Sarah
South Haven MI
143 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2009 :  03:07:00 AM  Show Profile
Kai, isn't is great to know we'll never run out of practical things to learn and the possibilities are endless.

Teresa, what a romantic story.

Mikki, how cool to grow up and live in such a tight family network. My youngest brother and his wife are in the house we grew up in. That property was purchased from a distant cousin the year I was born. Our (dh, the kids and me) farm was actually owned by my Dad before he bought the homeplace, so he's always telling me 'Sar, you got the second best ground in geneva township', lol, thanks Dad. We are about a mile from the home farm and 2 from gram's

Rhonda, what a big change in climate for you! So much of our country is beautiful and rugged and peaceful in it's own way that is wonderfully different than somewhere else, but just as spectacular :)

Glad you made it back out Brenda. The years we lived 'in-town' were so anxious, cause we just wanted to get back out and had only owned our first house for a few months, so it was kind of nuts and difficult for us to make the leap.

Thanks for sharing your stories gals :)

Farmgirl sister #779

http://symbioticstitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2009 :  06:54:23 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Living in the country has always been in my blood. I was born in the city and in jr high we moved to the country. Our neighbors were down the road in either direction and I fell in love. After living in a trailer park for a long time I spread my wings and found open land once again. We did move to the city for one year- six months in we decided to go "HOME"- and now I will never leave the country. I just can't breathe anywhere else.

Marcy #257

http://marcysmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

vtstevens
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

Virginia
Woodinville WA
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2009 :  2:17:01 PM  Show Profile
Ending up in the country is a great case for self fulfilling prophecy: at 15 years old, growing up in suburban Dallas, I dug up half our backyard and planted a garden, all by myself, proudly parading my produce at the end of summer. Years later, still planting suburban gardens, I painted a cleaned out mayonnaise jar with a mountain scene, and saved spare money in it to buy a place. Now, years later, we have our Pacific Northwest dream, with 5 acres, orchard, garden, chickens. I didn't make firm plans, just thought about it all the time, was always in my blood.

I don't suffer from stress. I'm a carrier.
Go to Top of Page

chickenjanedoe
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Sandy
Claypool Indiana
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2009 :  1:25:16 PM  Show Profile
I was born in Muncie (Indiana) and moved around alot living in Canada, Colorado, Wyoming and now back home in Indiana. So glad to be home with the fireflies. Hubby was born in the house 2 doors down from original family home that was built by his uncle. It now belongs to his brother and will eventually go to his son. His Uncle owns an additional 50+acres. His family originally owned about one square mile but most was sold off when his grandfather died years ago. Hopefully we'll be able to pass our own land on to our children. There is nothing like walking to the garden for breakfast in your pjs.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  06:54:57 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Brought home from the hospital to the farm where I grew up here in SW Colorado. We raised cows, sheep, @ chickens. We grew potatoes (acres and acres!), corn, alfalfa, apples, peaches, cherries, apricots, plums, pear. No indoor plumbing until I was in high school . . . yup, we had a "Mrs. Murphy's" (that's what we called an outhouse) and a cistern. My dad had to haul water, was VERY, VERY strict with it's use and to this day, dripping faucets or such like drive me nuts!!!
I went to college my freshman year in Omaha, Nebraska . . . transferred my sophomore year to college in Phoenix, Arizona. Met my hubby there, we were married 41 years ago and lives in Phoenix until the spring of 1974 (both of our kids born there), moved to Tucson for a couple of years. While my husband is a "desert rat" he, along with me, got tired of dealing with that horrible desert heat and we moved back to Colorado. Built our first house (log for which we did our own logging and milling) in 1977 (it burned down in an arson fire in 1994) . . . and we built another house on 3 acres of the farm that I grew up on. I can see the farmhouse I lived in all my life until leaving for college from my front window. We no longer own any of the farm, but can see it and remember. My younger sister lives about 1/2 mile down the road on another parcel of land that was part of our farm. Our 4 older siblings are scattered from North Carolina to British Columbia.
I couldn't do the city!!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  04:57:10 AM  Show Profile
I was led by my heart. A city girl by birth, a farm girl by heart, and that heart led me to a great guy who shared my dream of country life. It took us 15 years, but we finally made it. And now, have to work our tails off just to keep it. But it is so worth it!!!!!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  7:52:14 PM  Show Profile
I have to say I havent made it to the country yet. Born in the city and still live in the middle of the same city.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2010 :  09:04:49 AM  Show Profile
After my parents moved to more land and a smaller house we bought this huge house and small land from them. My DH is a city boy. But he has learned much and we love it here! We were paying for boarding for my horse so this was cheaper!
I love my chickens,horse,llama,pig,dogs and cats. We are truly happy!
Someday more land!
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  11:20:02 AM  Show Profile
I was dragged kicking a screaming to MS! My husband got a job here after Katrina. I was not prepared for the rural life. I cried for a year. I have now been here 4 years now ans would never go back. I can hang my laundry without the HOA giving me a fine, and we can have whatever animals we want. I love going into "town" and my favorite things are now my new muck boots and the sewing machine I just got for graduation from college. All of your stories were great.

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  2:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Hmmm...at one time I lived in a suburb of LA in a gated townhouse community, drove a little red sports car, had my nails done every week and even had a housecleaning service for awhile! My, how things change! Although, I was always a farm girl at heart baking, sewing, crafting, etc. Now I live on 4 acres, rarely go to town, keep my nails clipped short so I can milk the goats and work in the garden, and I wouldn't trade it for the world! When I married my second hubby, he wanted to have a place where we could have horses, so we moved from Tucson to the "country." Little did he realize that he had created a "monster!" Soon, there were chickens, a burro, a dog and the goats! We both love it!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

katevc
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Kate
Hutchinson KS
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  11:26:15 PM  Show Profile
still wishing and hoping for a piece of the country to call my own. grew up on a hobby farm in central GA. Lived in WILDERNESS for most of my twenties. Married and settled in KS with a native Kansan (they lost the historical family farm a generation ago - so sad...). Lived in town our first year in KS. I hated it. Noisier and stuffier than anywhere I've lived. Now we rent on farm. It's heaven and torture at the same time...maybe really just motivation to find a way to get our own place....raisng a little girl on the farm life - has more animal friends than people friends and knows how to do her chores at 2 yrs old.

To plant a thing and watch it grow... that is to nurture a miracle.
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  06:37:00 AM  Show Profile
At 2 it may be ok for your baby to have more animal friends! The are often gentler, in my opinion. The USDA is a wealth of knowledge for home loans. Probably everyone knows that but I always like to share it. I heard that the USDA has money to give but no one knows it's there.

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  10:54:19 AM  Show Profile
we look for the fixer uppers and go from there. We have been married 24yrs. We started with an appartment you could stand in the center,turn and see every room. It was TINY. We saved and bought our first home with 1 acre. It was 980 sq ft. I had my first garden there. Then we found this one. It has 6 acres and a 1560 sq ft home. We have partnered with people and worked a 600 acre cattle operation once but they moved off and kinda left us holding the bag so going it alone seems the best for us. Who knows where the next adventure will be. We are happy here but if more land with a deal comes up we would probably jump on that too. Life is short and I dont want to look back with regrets. I might fail but at least I try, right?
Go to Top of Page

marcyl
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

marcy
st peters mo
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  12:34:14 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I grew up visiting the family farms in Maine as children. We raised our blended family of six boys and one daughter in a subdivision in Missouri. Last Summer we went home for a family reunion, coming home we were homesick for the rural life. We purchased a six acre plot with an 1890's farmhouse on it. We plan to move to Maine this year, as soon as we sell the house in Missouri. My blog is http://sothenweboughtthefarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

caro
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Carol
Princeton Indiana
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  04:40:29 AM  Show Profile
Very interesting stories!!! I'm a city girl, too: born and raised in Cincinnati, Ohio. However DH is from the country, and even at the age of 25, told me he wanted to retire here. How could I know those years would fly by so FAST, lol?????!!!!!
Hubby's family has lived in this area since 1820. His cousin and wife lived in the old homeplace (built 1840) until it burned down 12 or so years ago. However, they rebuilt on the property, so someone from the family has lived there all that time. We built a home on family land about 1/4 mile away. I HATED living way out here!! When all our "kids" and grandkids moved to North Carolina, we decided to go, too. Sold the beautiful farmhouse we'd built on 14 gorgeous acres DH had landscaped. Moved to an acre in a subdivision and, you guessed it, hated it there!! Could NOT get used to having neighbors so "close" and DH was lost without the dirt to play in. So, here we are again!! I appreciate the wide open spaces so much more this time around. However, I DO miss Trader Joe's and some of the other big city amenities. But it's fun to visit--don't know that I want to live in the city again. Having a hubby keep busy with what he loves to do is worth it. We miss the family but they LOVE the opportunity to come to the country.
Go to Top of Page

wellswillow
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Marcie
Branchport New York
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  06:01:29 AM  Show Profile
Hubby and I were both raised in the burbs of Rochester, NY. When our children were about 1/2 grown had a family meeting and decided to look for a place to camp in the country. We found one, camped there for a couple of years and decided to sell out in the burbs and move to the country. We could never move back, love being rural.
Marcie

I enjoy chatting with my friends.
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  09:37:18 AM  Show Profile
I am looking (praying) to move from MS to Eastern OH or somewhere in PA to be closer to my mother. She has just recieved a poor report from her doctor and may wind up in a wheelchair in the next couple of years. I still want to stay "country". I was so scared to move back up north but everyone's stories and experiences have quelled that.

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1822 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1822 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  4:32:47 PM  Show Profile
Kai- where do you live in Iowa? I am curious as I don't see many Iowa girls on the forum. I grew up on a farm in mid iowa and want to return. Winters can be rough but the rest of the year is nice.

Happiness is having
farmgirl friends.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic How did you get to the country? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page