CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2009 :  11:26:37 AM  Show Profile
I know my Norwegian grandma will be scandalized if she hears of this, but I'm trying to make some lefse, using instant potatoes. My dad has a hankering for lefse but I don't have a potato ricer to do the job properly. I found a recipe using instant and I'm giving them a try. Maybe they will be just fine or maybe I'll be buying a ricer. :-)

Here's the link I found if anyone is interested. http://www.lefsetime.com/all_about_lefse/lefse_recipes.php

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher

Painted Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Stacey
Moscow Idaho
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2009 :  12:42:37 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the site information. I will be going there for a special Christmas gift! I bought my ricer at Bed, Bath and Beyond for not very much and I love it and don't know how I managed without it before. You won't be sad if you purchase one! ~Stacey

Painted Farmgirl #666

Your body is a temple, but how long can you live in the same house before you redecorate?
~Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4195 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4195 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  04:51:34 AM  Show Profile
I have never used a ricer. I just use leftover mashed potatoes, that I have mashed with a masher. Hope the lefse turns out using the instant. We even put leftover mashed potatoes in the freezer and make lefse later.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1682 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  1:31:56 PM  Show Profile
I have a ricer and they are soooo nice. Where I live it was very hard to find one a few years back. I finally found one in the next town.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2009 :  2:11:07 PM  Show Profile
There actually is a mix commercially made. I don't use it, because I still think it has the after taste of instant potatoes. I too have successfully used mashed potatoes, but I use 1/4 cup less since they are more compact than riced potatoes. I bet if you get on a freecycle site, you'd find a ricer someone would just give you.

Have fun!

Joy

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2009 :  2:19:33 PM  Show Profile
I tried the instant and my father's verdict was that it was good but not enough potato taste. So I'll definitely be trying it again with regular spuds. I'm on a lefse deadline - have to perfect if before my Scandinavian relatives come over for dinner on December 13. I'm also going to try to make klub. If anyone has made that particular dish, please give me some hints!!

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
http://beesinourbonnetsintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2009 :  5:40:42 PM  Show Profile
I have made lefse many times (I am Norwegian in heritage) and so sorry the potato flakes did not measure up! I would have thought they would. I have made potato soup mix with the flakes, and it was delish!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

kmc
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

kai
iowa
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2009 :  6:42:37 PM  Show Profile
Ok I think I might be the only one here who does not know what lefse are... Anyone want to enlighten me?
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2009 :  05:25:44 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kmc

Ok I think I might be the only one here who does not know what lefse are... Anyone want to enlighten me?

Lefse is a traditional Norwegian bread. It looks like an over-sized flour tortilla, except it is made from potatoes. It is baked at a high temperature on a griddle. In Norway, they use it to roll up the meat of the meal, but in America it is most commonly spread with butter and sprinkled with sugar. (This too is a big, friendly feud as people have their favorites: brown or white. Of course my opinion is brown is WAY better! ;) ) As you can see here riced potatoes are preferred! It is a real art to make.

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  05:50:11 AM  Show Profile
Speaking of Lefse, does anyone have a good, non alcoholic Glogg recipe??
Just kidding, I think Glogg is Swedish. I guess I should write a separate post!
I recently learned of my Norwegian heritage- that explains the cavalcade of thrift store Norwegain sweaters in my closet!
~ Mary LD
Texas
Go to Top of Page

bobbinrobin
True Blue Farmgirl

590 Posts

Sharon
Newman Lake WA
USA
590 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  06:43:49 AM  Show Profile
We used to make Glogg back in the old country (Minnesota). If you're serious, I'll try to find the recipe Mary.

How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it. -G. Elliston

www.sharnymcclarny.etsy.com
www.bobbinrobin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  08:16:29 AM  Show Profile
I am serious!
It's not a rush- I would not make it until at least the first day of winter.
Thanks, Bobbinrobin!
Go to Top of Page

bobbinrobin
True Blue Farmgirl

590 Posts

Sharon
Newman Lake WA
USA
590 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  08:46:44 AM  Show Profile
Hi Mary ~ I have scanned the recipe but don't know how to send it here. Please send me your email address and I'll send you the scanned recipe of the Swedish Julglogg. Best, Sharon

How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it. -G. Elliston

www.sharnymcclarny.etsy.com
www.bobbinrobin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  7:38:38 PM  Show Profile
well, we (I am German) don't have Glogg but we have Gluhwein...a spiced mulled wine that we drink warm/hot with a wedge of an orange.....
As for the Lefse....it sounds a lot like out potato pancakes. Some use shredded potatos and some a potato ricer, mix up with a bit if salt/pepper & flour & fry up in a griddle.
I brought a ricer back with me from Germany several years ago(on a trip to see family & childhood friend),,,and I recently found a good one at the Alpine~German Deli here in Spokane($12.00)...I also use my ricer to make(press out) my Spetzle(noodles).
Whether it be the European or American version,,,,,they are still yummy!

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Dec 01 2009 7:43:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  12:54:12 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I finally have all the equipment to make my lefse. It took me a few years to buy it all. Yeah! I hope it turns out because I have never seen it made. But there are great videos out there that show how. Wish me luck!

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog...Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  08:18:13 AM  Show Profile
Grace, lefse looks like tortillas, matter of fact my Norwegian neighbor brought us some she made one day and she used just flour and it was a tortilla.One of her grandma's just used flour and the other potatoes. Jim makes the lefse in our family. We have all the stuff for making it. Found the lefse board at a thrift store: ) the wooden stick for turning it over was made by a dear friend. It's quite an operation (use real potatoes). I do cleanup and I find flour all over the place. Wouldn't be Christmas without it. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  08:24:41 AM  Show Profile
Good luck, Julie. Let us know how it goes!

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
http://beesinourbonnetsintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  09:20:17 AM  Show Profile
One of my fondest memories is my Nana, mom and aunt making tons of lefse - a several day project. It took me quite awhile to master it myself after my Nana passed. The trick is not too much flour. It's difficult to roll them thin enough without them sticking so it's easy to use too much flour. I use a marble to roll them on, and a special lefse rolling pin, and a special round high heat griddle. The stick to lift them with and turn was made by my dad years ago. It makes a big mess but it wouldn't be the holidays without them. It is true tho there are many types of lefse but potato lefse is the only type my grandmother made.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  09:37:00 AM  Show Profile
OK Joann & Sheri,
I am coming to your houses to taste these wonderful Lefse you all are talking about! lol!
You are right, it's these special recipes that bring back such fond memories of Holidays past.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

kmc
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

kai
iowa
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  8:50:39 PM  Show Profile
Joy Thank you very much for the insight!! Sounds very yummy. Nice to see another Iowa girl!!!!!

Farmgirl# 868
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Lefse from instant potatoes? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page