Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Growing next to older homes and buildings....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Growing next to older homes and buildings.... Next Topic  

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2006 :  05:03:19 AM  Show Profile
I wonder if any of you have ever considered this, or tested for this.

I have an old home, and old outbuildings. My house was built by a Civil War veteran in probably the late 1860's or early 1870's. Outbuildings followed. We know that in those years paints were heavily lead based, and had other heavy metals in them like cadmium. We also know that plants can take these up and pass them to us.

Because of this, I've always been wary of growing anything close to the house or outbuildings that we might eat.

Now I'm considering a little herb garden amidst some roses beside my deck. The deck extends from the house about twelve feet on one side and about 25 or 30 feet on the other. Has anyone ever had their soil tested to see if heavy metals by old buildings are a hazard? How far out did you go before you felt okay?

Thanks so much for your input!

HorseyNut
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Allena
MO
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2006 :  05:10:32 AM  Show Profile
HorseyRider,
I would definately get it tested, it's free at your county extention office, and I think they do a heavy metal test.
If it were me I think I would make a really nice raised bed with all new soil. That way you can have your herb garden but just eliminate the danger of metals. You can make one fairly cheap out of landscape timbers and a cirular saw, or often around here you can buy relaly pretty wooden barrels. Herbs don't usually take up much space so that might be a good alternative if your soil has any heavy metals.

Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do...but how much love we put in that action. - Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2006 :  05:01:35 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Allena! What a great idea! We have some really awesome rich soil here; it looks like field after field of black loamy potting soil, so the idea of adding more never occurred. I really appreciate the suggestion!
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2006 :  05:21:13 AM  Show Profile
Someone did a study on how certain plants remove the heavy metals and return the soil to a healthy state and I think that there was even a way that the guy was working on to process the metals back out of the plants for recycling (not that you would want to go through that)... I'll see if I can find the information.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2006 :  07:20:04 AM  Show Profile
Mary Ann, GET IT TESTED FIRST !!

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2006 :  10:34:32 AM  Show Profile
I live in an early 1870's farmhouse, as well. I haven't had the soil tested for heavy metals, but I think I will ask the county extension agent about this. Good idea - thanks for the information!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2006 :  10:55:45 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Because of this, I've always been wary of growing anything close to the house or outbuildings that we might eat.

I can't believe I said this! It sounds like we're eating buildings!

Let me rephrase: I've always been wary of growing anything that we might eat next to the house or outbuildings.

There. That's better.

Michele, I promise I won't plant anything I intend to eat next to the house without testing the soil! We've lived her for 23 years, and have always found a way to grow the edibles elswhere.

Libbie, if you do end up getting the tests done, do report back. It'd be interesting to hear what they find out!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Growing next to older homes and buildings.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page