Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Knitting: Too many similar abbreviations!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knitting: Too many similar abbreviations!!! Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  11:35:35 AM  Show Profile
I am having a little difficulty deciphering the "code" of knitting--I seem to have a lot of pattern books printed in the UK, and the US books refer to one thing, but the UK another...but it's the same darn thing!

I'm specifically referring the increases and decreases (specifically slip sl 1, ssk, etc...) basically, they seem like they're all the same thing. It's making me second guess my abilities in regard to a scarf I'm making, as if I don't know what stitch the pattern refers to!

But, in truth, I do need to sortof bone-up on my sl 1 et al. I guess I will just bit the bullet, but does anyone else find this frustrating?

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  1:21:10 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Jonni, what you just said, "bite the bullet" is really and truly what's gonna make the difference...all of a sudden the stitch will make sense. I practiced my pattern first, went through the stitches I didn't know till I'd gotten through the mistake phase and understood what the pattern meant, then went forward with the project. I've found great help on the Lion Brand site...here's the link:

http://cache.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/faq-search.cgi?store=/stores/eyarn&dictionaryOfAbbreviations=1

The site also allows you to type in exactly what your pattern/stitch abbv. says and it will find that stitch for you...don't know if I can be any more help. I know it's redundant, but I practiced with cotton that I could unravel and use again. Helped me get past the frustration.

Say to them, may the Lord bless you and protect you, May the Lord smile upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace. (Numbers 6:23-26)

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  1:23:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for this link, Chandra! I try to take some time to practice now and again, but my little one I'm finding it difficult to concentrate for more than an hour, or not to fall asleep!!! This looks like it will help immensely!!!
Thanks, and have a great weekend (hopefully, I won't feel like such a hump and will be able to get past the first row of this pattern by Monday!!)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2009 :  1:49:17 PM  Show Profile
Jonni,
I know it is frustrating but the increases and decreases are different and all have their place. Some angle to the right or left and this will make a difference in the finished product. Try not to get frustrated and Good Luck
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knitting: Too many similar abbreviations!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page