twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  10:15:17 AM  Show Profile
I am on the hunt for a sugar cookie recipe that makes a soft cookie. I have an Amish recipe that is luscious, but it's not a rolled-cookie recipe - it's for drop cookies, and that's not what I'm looking for. All of the sugar cookie recipes that I have ever tried end up hard as rocks.

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe they wouldn't mind sharing?
Thanks!

-Deb

http://healthtalk.6.forumer.com/index.php

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you'll land amongst the stars. - Anonymous

bobbinrobin
True Blue Farmgirl

590 Posts

Sharon
Newman Lake WA
USA
590 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  10:20:56 AM  Show Profile
Oh ... have I got a recipe for you. It was my grandma's and is rich and soft. I drop them on a cookie sheet and then press with a sugared glass. Email me and I'll scan the recipe for you. S

How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it. -G. Elliston

www.sharnymcclarny.etsy.com
www.bobbinrobin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

tiff-tiff
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Tiffany
Austin Texas
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  10:21:25 AM  Show Profile
I'm also looking for a sugar cookie recipe. I'd love one that is tried and true and big and chewy! I'm with you Deb, mine always end up too hard for my taste.
Thanks
Tiff

Farmgirl #164
www.itsatippinthing.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  11:23:55 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bobbinrobin

Oh ... have I got a recipe for you. It was my grandma's and is rich and soft. I drop them on a cookie sheet and then press with a sugared glass. Email me and I'll scan the recipe for you. S

www.bobbinrobin.etsy.com

I think I have this recipe -- is it the one with powdered sugar in the dough? If not, let me know and I'll email you, but I'm looking for a "rolling pin" cookie dough so that I can use cookie cutters. These are gonna be for a church social type thing, after the kids' Sunday School Christmas Programs this year. I volunteered to bring cookies, not knowing that they wanted rolled cookies! I don't really have time for all this, but since I already said yes ....

I also have to bring a cake or cookie concoction of some sort to the dinner get-together that we always have after the last Bell Choir rehearsal before our 1st performance for the holiday season. Any ideas of what might go over pretty well? I thought about making my Swedish Spice Cake with the Penuche frosting, but some men don't like things that are so sweet. I'll take any and all suggestions!

-Deb

Go to Top of Page

bobbinrobin
True Blue Farmgirl

590 Posts

Sharon
Newman Lake WA
USA
590 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  11:54:55 AM  Show Profile
Yes ... this is the recipe with powdered sugar and lots of butter and oil.

www.bobbinrobin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  5:34:40 PM  Show Profile
This one makes a tender but rollable sugar cookie. Its really good.

Sugar Cookies
1 1/2 C Powdered Sugar
1 C. Butter
1 tsp Vanilla
1 Large Egg
2 1/2 C Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Cream of Tartar

Mix powdered sugar, butter, vanilla and egg in a large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Heat oven to 350. Bake 8-10 minutes.

Roll out and use cutters as you like.
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  6:05:33 PM  Show Profile
OMGOODNESS, that sounds so good, I think I just gained 4 lbs.

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

tiff-tiff
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Tiffany
Austin Texas
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  8:41:15 PM  Show Profile
Sharon - I they are all, I mean ALL gone! They were so good. I made up a batch and the kids swarmed!! They just melt in your mouth . . . *sigh* Thank you so much!

Farmgirl #164
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  9:00:55 PM  Show Profile
Robin, that's the same recipe I have but I've never really thought about being able to roll them out because the dough always seemed waaaay too sticky. I guess the trick, then, would be NOT to overdo the flour when rolling them out, huh?!

Oh why, oh why didn't I offer to make a cake or some biscotti instead of cookies?!?!?!?

That's what I get for volunteering.

-Deb

Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  9:03:34 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by tiff-tiff

Sharon - I they are all, I mean ALL gone! They were so good. I made up a batch and the kids swarmed!! They just melt in your mouth . . . *sigh* Thank you so much!

Farmgirl #164

I almost missed your post, tiff-tiff. So -- how did it go when rolling out this dough? Do you have any helpful hints we should know about?

Also, did you frost your cookies and did they hold together for that step?!

-Deb

Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  9:18:40 PM  Show Profile
Did you refrigerate the dough long enough? That helps a lot. If you read my other post whetr I made the double batch of gingerbread, I also made a double batch of these. 4 of us were decorating cookies till the wee hours. Thankfully some strangers came by, one of whose grandma's used to live in my house...we sent them on their way with a box of cookies!
Go to Top of Page

tiff-tiff
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Tiffany
Austin Texas
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2009 :  06:39:49 AM  Show Profile
Hey Deb,

I just used it for drop cookies. I'm sorry :-( I don't know if it would work for rolled dough, but I'll try it later today and let you know.I do know that they are so good, I had to promise to make more today!

Farmgirl #164
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2009 :  07:01:23 AM  Show Profile
I have an old recipe from my mom's old Betty Crocker cookbook. It is called "Aunt Ethel's Sugar Cookies" and is a refrigerator cookie.

Aunt Ethel's Sugar Cookies

3/4 softened butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Cream all ingredients together then add:

2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Mix together. Chill for at least an hour (or up to 24 hours), roll out dough to about 1/8" thick and cut out in different shapes. Then bake in a pre-heated oven to 400 and bake 6-8 minutes. Let cool completely on cookie rack and then decorate.

Enjoy!
Dawn in IL

Edited by - ddmashayekhi on Nov 21 2009 07:06:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2009 :  07:55:57 AM  Show Profile
Robin - I saw your post but didn't realize you were talking about this particular recipe, I guess. Glad to hear about the "care packages" you sent with those ladies! Also, I haven't made this *powdered sugar* sugar cooky recipe for a long time, but when I do I'll be sure to chill the dough for a long while before I roll. When I make other sugar cookies, I try to roll out small amounts of dough at a time and chill the rest of the dough in the meantime. Still, they ended up like rocks, so I thought maybe I was chilling the dough too much. I also kept the dough well covered during the chilling, so I just figured whatever was making them hard had to be because of the recipe! I'm glad to hear that you were able to frost those and I'm gonna give it a try.

Tiffany - sorry I misunderstood your post, I think. I should have known when you mentioned kids that you probably didn't take time to roll them. Anyway, if they disappear that quickly in your house it would likely be a waste of good time to roll them anyhow!

Dawn - that recipe sounds delicious. Think I'll try it and add just a tad of cream of tartar and some lemon oil. My mom always added just a little lemon to her sugar cookies, and we always liked that.

Thanks so much for all the tips and the recipes. Who knows -- I might get wild and combine the recipes and come up with something that will make me the new "Mrs. Smith" of cookies!!

-Deb

Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2009 :  2:07:13 PM  Show Profile
Dawn, that is the recipe that my mom used and I have used it now for more years than I care to count lol! It is a wonderful cookie recipe. The trick is if you want them to be softer, roll the dough thicker and do not overbake. I use 1 tsp. vanilla in them instead of lemon, but they are both good. I loved it when I saw that Aunt Ethel's recipe!!

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2009 :  7:52:20 PM  Show Profile
Wow Mary Jane, you are the first person, besides my mom, to recognize that recipe! I agree that thicker is better when you bake them & the vanilla tastes better. I always get loads of compliments & requests for the recipe on my sugar cookies. Those old recipes really are the best!

Have fun creating Deb! Let us know what happens.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2009 :  10:16:03 AM  Show Profile
If you roll your chilled dough out on parchement paper you need much less flour to keep from sticking. That helps the "scraps" from getting too tough.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Need sugar cookie recipe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page