Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Does anyone raise Brahma hens?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Does anyone raise Brahma hens? Next Topic  

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  09:44:26 AM  Show Profile
I have a half Brahma Roo and I want to get some hens for eggs, I'm not really interested in meat bird. Do they lay well? How about cold hardy? My last hens were Wyandottes and were killed by raccoons, but I've improved my coop until I can build a brand new one in the spring... Just curious about the Brahmas and what others think

Thanks

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  10:43:49 AM  Show Profile
I had Brahma hens a few years back. Sadly, mine went the way of your hens as well. I don't recall EXACTLY what they were like (I had MANY different breeds at that time), but I DO remember that they are very Winter hardy and one of the few breeds that would lay during the Winter months. I don't recall them ever giving me any trouble. I think they are very similar in personality, and size, (though they have feathered legs), to the Buff Orpingtons and the Wyandotts. You might just like them. I would get them again myself, given the oportunity.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  6:02:01 PM  Show Profile
I have bantam dark brahma and love her to death. She was late in starting to lay, 9 months, but I believe that is normal for her breed. She lays nice brown eggs averaging 5 a week in the summer months. We put a light on a timer in the coop to extend daylight but it has been a week since she gave me an egg. I need to make sure the timer is set long enough to give her a total of 14 hours/day. Nice even temperment although she is the top bitty and isn't afraid to let anyone know it.
Go to Top of Page

happydaze
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

lorraine
atlanta ni
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2009 :  4:59:58 PM  Show Profile
i have dark brahma and absolutely love them.very winter hardy here in northern mich, lay all winter and are very friendly
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2009 :  03:12:47 AM  Show Profile
I had one last spring. Ordered her through IDEAL

Lived to be about 2 montha than died suddenly.

She was a real sweetie.

Will order a few more of these this coming Spring
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Does anyone raise Brahma hens? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page