Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 What do you use to clean your laminate floor?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic What do you use to clean your laminate floor? Next Topic  

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2009 :  7:14:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
We just put down the laminate/ floating floor in the living room. They say to just use a soapy water mix to clean it. I have done that three times and each time i do it it gets duller and duller looking. They say to not use harsh cleaners on it because it will mess it up. But i can scrub the floors and they still look dirty. Do you have any ideas as to what to use or what do you use???

"My ideal day is sitting on the back porch, cup of green tea in hand, slippers on, and just watch the cows in the pasture"

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2009 :  7:46:50 PM  Show Profile
I use the floor cleaner from Gold Canyon Candles and a libman microfiber mop. Its the Only thing that didn't leave streaks.

Merry
Farmgirl #536

http://iowafoodcoop.blogspot.com

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

Don't pray for a lighter load, pray for a stronger back.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2009 :  8:45:02 PM  Show Profile
I use only water and vinegar.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  08:24:46 AM  Show Profile
unless you are then moping up all the soapy water with just plain water, it will build up a residue and the floor will become very dull, and also a bit sticky. I only use plain water, unless something has gotten spilt, then I use a cloth to clean that spot.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  08:29:32 AM  Show Profile
I use a microfiber mop, just with hot water. Like Teresa, if something is spilled or (a cat threw up!!!) I quick spray with an all purpose cleaner (Method) and wipe up with the mop.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  08:30:23 AM  Show Profile
I use hot water ... soap leaves a film and is sticky, at least the one's I've tried. I sometimes add a bit of lavender oil or something to make it smell pretty. Mostly a fairly well wrung out mop and good plain hot water.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  09:03:00 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Annika. Just plain water and some essential oils for antibacterial purposes, especially if a cat throws up...ewwww.

I use a mixture of oils. Make sure the water is pretty hot. I use a mop sorta like a Libman, but I think it's made by O'Cedar. It has mopheads that you can wash or replace because they just screw on and off.

No soap, or residue seems to build up. We've had our laminate floor throughout the whole upper level of our home for about 3 years now. I have used vinegar too, but I like the essential oils better. I have, however, never tried mixing them together -- don't know what that would produce for sure! Bruce products makes a spray cleaner for laminate floors, but it's mostly vinegar and water, so why pay the money?

-Deb

http://healthtalk.6.forumer.com/index.php

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you'll land amongst the stars. - Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

MommaJ9
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Kimberly
Longview Washington
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  10:34:27 PM  Show Profile
I use Murphy's Oil Soap...about 1/4 cup for 2 gallons of hot water. It's just enough to get the muddy dog prints up, but not enough to leave streaks. Make sure you squeeze out as much liquid from your mop as possible first and don't add the soap until the bucket is filled! Good luck!

Farmgirl #783
http://jabezfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2009 :  07:06:25 AM  Show Profile
i use a steam mop. it kills all bacteria on the floor. if you do not let the unit sit in one spot for too long it works great. i have used one for years on our floating floor with no issues. just a thought sherrye
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2009 :  8:10:34 PM  Show Profile
Home Depot sells a laminate floor cleaner called "Bona Floor Cleaner". I just spray in directly onto the floor and use the swiffer wet jet mop to wipe it off. It does a superb job and doesn't leave any streaks or film on the floor.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  11:06:00 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever heard of the Shark steam mop? My mom has one and has let me borrow it. Just wanted to know what the "farmgirls" think of it!

Eirn

Farmgirl #190
www.concrete-and-grace.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  5:46:37 PM  Show Profile
I have seen ads for it and was wondering if it was worth the $. What did you think of it Erin?

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2009 :  05:42:44 AM  Show Profile
It really made my wood floors shine! Big spots needed to be wiped up by hand. But my mom only gave me the dust mop head. I guess there is more than one head and she thought the other head might work better on my tile. It didn't leave behing any grit though. I really liked that!

Erin

Farmgirl #190
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2009 :  10:58:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
hmmm. I think i may just ask that steam mop for Christmas. It sounds like it would really really come in handy. And i could use it in so many other places in the house too.

"My ideal day is sitting on the back porch, cup of green tea in hand, slippers on, and just watch the cows in the pasture"

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  4:29:17 PM  Show Profile
I'm secretly hoping to get it also!

Erin

Farmgirl #190
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  10:53:06 AM  Show Profile
I use the Bona Floor cleaner too. It lasts forever and is easy to use. The mop head is reuseable and I had one for over a year and half. It does make the floor seem a little dull and sometimes I will use vinegar and water with a regular mop if I have the time.

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://ranchmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2009 :  07:16:47 AM  Show Profile
goodmorning, i have a haan steam mop. i love love love it. with all the farm we drag in the house it cleans amazingly. i also do some houses and i use it on stone, floating floor, tile etc. mine has a attachment to steam my mattress. kills all those mites. the shark is lighter weight and goes under more furniture. the haan is heavier so i think a better clean. the shark has a shot of steam that comes out a few centered holes and has to disperse its steam out to the edges. the haan has steam holes all across the head. i wash the mop part in the washer alone on hot. i like both units for different uses.i am always careful to NOT LET IT SIT anywhere on the floor very long. krrp the head moving. also the haan has a out of water light. we have all solid surface floors in our house. i clean them and sterilize in a jiffy. hopes this helps someone.
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic What do you use to clean your laminate floor? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page