FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  07:19:30 AM  Show Profile
I have been asked to bring a "green vegetable" to our Thanksgiving at my mil's, and I am just bored to death with the green bean dish I've been making for 15 years or more, and my husband refuses to eat it because it has a vinegar base.

Basically, it's green beans, layered with onions, s & p, and you fry a lb. of bacon, reserve the drippings, crumble the bacon and place on top of the layered green beans/onions. Mix the drippings with brown sugar, and vinegar to emulsify. Pour over green beans/onions and refrigerate up to 48 hours. Bake until warmed all through. It's excellent, though not for folks watching their waistline. It came from Southern Sideboards, a Junior League cookbook from Jackson, MS. It always gets rave reviews, but this time, I'd like to make something that Jus can eat too, and I'm just a bit bored with it.

Qualifiers: can't be too pedestrian--my mil is a gourmet cook and eats French cuisine, and we are none of us fans of the cream of mushroom one with the Durkee onions (I'm not trying to offend and don't mean to be snobby, it's just a matter of different tastes). I will also need to be able to make it at home and bring it and have the dish stand on it's own to be served when the remainder of dinner is ready. I can't use the oven there because there will be so much going on already.

Any ideas? I guess it could also be another green vegetable like broccoli, but I never think of that at Thanksgiving. What else????

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  08:42:09 AM  Show Profile
Jonni
Pam made a really neat recipe using brussel sprouts. I am trying to remember. I know it used fresh sprouts, & I think they were lightly steamed but still crispy, then she pulled them apart, so it was more like a salad, then added lemon juice EVOO, maybe a bit of sugar, some roasted pine nuts? Sorry, I know I am not much help, but it was quite good, & even Jim who hates brussel sprouts, ate it because he did not realize what it was.
Also, just saw a recipe for Leek Gratin
8 leeks
1 3/4 cups cream
course salt & fresh ground pepper
1/4 fresh grated Pecorino Romano
375 oven
In a skillet combine leeks, cream s & p, bring to a boil over med high, reduce, cover simmer 5 min, uncover, simmer until leeks tender, about 15 min.
Transfer all to baking dish, sprinkle w/cheese bake until golden & bubbling about 35 min. Let rest about 10 min.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  08:47:00 AM  Show Profile
Sorry
I didn't see the part about no oven
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  08:55:21 AM  Show Profile
As long as I can make it ahead and take it warm, it's fine, but she's cooking so much that I won't want to be in her way. "Too many cooks in the kitchen" if ya know what I mean! That leek thing sounds awesome, and so does the brussel sprouts. So Jim ate it?

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  09:05:00 AM  Show Profile
I found this on Allrecipes.com and its great! Also delicious with broccoli

Sprouts with Sour Cream By: Mary Devlin
Prep Time:
5 MinCook Time:
15 MinReady In:
20 Min

Original Recipe Yield 12 servings
Ingredients
2 pounds fresh brussels sprouts, halved 1/2 cup chopped onion 2 tablespoons butter or margarine 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour 1 tablespoon brown sugar 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard 1/2 cup milk 1 cup sour cream Minced fresh parsley
Directions
Add 1 in. of water and brussels sprouts to a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until tender.
Meanwhile, in another saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour, brown sugar, salt and mustard until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat. Stir in sour cream; heat through.
Drain the sprouts; place in a serving bowl. Top with sauce. Sprinkle with parsley.

"You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd.....
But you can be happy if you've a mind to. All you've gotta do in knuckle down, buckle down and do it, do it, do it!"
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  09:11:21 AM  Show Profile
I saute fresh green beans in a little olive oil, just long enough to soften and warm them thru, add some warmed crasins and serve.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  09:59:39 AM  Show Profile
Here's how I do my green beans: http://mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com/2009/09/yumminess.html

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  10:16:04 AM  Show Profile
What about a spinach dish? I had the most wonderful tasty creamed spinach while eating out with my hubby this week - it had a hint of nutmeg, a little onion in there, and parmesean cheese melted on the top. I LOVED it and am thinking of trying to recreate it for Thanksgiving at my house (the WHOLE FAM is coming over HERE.....) I think the nutmeg may have been from an alfredo sauce base they used in it.

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  10:29:15 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for the recipes and thoughts on green beans...as I mentioned before, I'm going to have to travel with them, so I need something that doesn't have to be warmed or sauteed in the skillet or saucepan because my mil will be using her stove (and all 6 burners!). We live about 30 minutes away, so the recipes (though wonderful sounding--I've printed them off for later) will have to wait for dinner at OUR house :P

Hosanna, I thought about a spinach thing, too. I love creamed spinach. I'll have to see what I can did up. And yes, usually the nutmeg comes into the cream sauce.

I'm also thinking I could do a broccoli/cauliflower gratin, which my husband still wouldn't eat, but at least it might travel well.

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  10:44:47 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, just a thought, but do you have one of those 2 burner electric, portable cooktops, that might solve your problem. If not, they cost about 20 dollars at WalMart, and I've seen them at the thrift for a couple of dollars.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  10:48:33 AM  Show Profile
I used to, Teresa--good thought. I still might. Will have to check the basement--that's a good solution!

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  11:23:49 AM  Show Profile
Hey Jonni
You could make some of these in a crock pot & then just plug in to warm.
I always make homemade mac & cheese for Sam, (at school a few years ago they were asked what THanksgiving meant to them, Sam wrote "mac & cheese",) so I kinda HAVE to, & it is homemade & delish, but I digress. I always baked it & with the turkey, dressing & whatever else in the oven,it was so hard. SO one year, I did it in the crock pot, on low & turned to high for the last hr or so, & still got the great crust that you get with baking. SO maybe try sometihing in a crock pot.
& yes, Jim did eat the brussel sprouts, although I think he stopped when he realized what it was. I love those things.
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  2:33:12 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jonni! If you have fresh greenbeans, a really "gourmet" and asthetically appealing way to prepare them is in "green bean bundles" Here's the recipe:

Ingredients
10 slices bacon
1 pound fresh green beans
1 cube beef bouillon
4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until partially cooked. Drain, cut each piece in half, and set aside.
3.Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place the green beans on a rack or special steamer basket over the boiling water. Cover with a lid so that the steam does not escape. Steam for a few minutes until the green beans are done. Set the green beans aside. Reserve about 2 cups of the water and dissolve the bouillon cube in it.
4.Take a bundle of green beans (4 or 5) and wrap them with a piece of bacon. Secure with a toothpick if necessary. Place the bundles in a shallow baking dish.
5.In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the reserved stock with the Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, butter, brown sugar, and garlic powder. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
6.Pour the sauce over the bundles and bake in a preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven for 20 minutes or until the bacon is done.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  2:34:56 PM  Show Profile
Ooohh!! And if you are interested, I have an absolutely fantastic recipe for creamed peas with baby onions. Comes straight out of a vegetarian cook book and it is to die for.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  2:38:57 PM  Show Profile
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Apricot-Glazed-Carrots/Detail.aspx

I'm planning on using this recipe and changing it slightly by adding a dash of ginger and using whole baby carrots... Annika =)

Apricot glazed carrots
Ingredients

* 2 pounds carrots, peeled and diagonally sliced
* 3 tablespoons butter, melted
* 1/3 cup apricot preserves
* 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon orange zest
* 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
* chopped fresh parsley for garnish

Directions

1. Add carrots to a pot of lightly salted water, and bring to a low boil. Simmer until carrots are tender. Drain.
2. Put melted butter in a bowl, and stir in apricot preserves. Stir in nutmeg, salt, orange zest, and lemon juice. Add carrots, and stir well to coat. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Green Beans for Thanksgiving Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page