True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  2:56:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girls!

I just rediscovered a little box of recipe cards that was my grandmothers. There are some recipes in there that were typed onto index cards obviously using a type writer, and they are all so cute! I have made a few things, like the molasses popcorn balls that great-grandmother used to pass out to the carolers at Christmas. And Shepherds Pie, which is my husbands all-time favorite. But I found this little recipe the other day, and I want to share it with you all. The cards are all just too cute!

the little index card says this recipe is almost 100 years old. But based on the box and the look of the card, today this recipe is almost 150 years old! How fun!

Johnny Cake:
1 cup white corn meal
1/4 tsp each, salt and sugar
1 and a 1/4 cups boiling water
1/4 cup milk

Mix all dry ingredients together. Pour boiling water over same and stir well. When thoroughly mixed add milk.

Lightly grease iron skillet and when hot drop on batter by tablespoonfuls. Cook as pancakes by turning and baking other side. Serve with platter of hot sausages if hungry!

That's all! Enjoy!

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  3:53:34 PM  Show Profile
Omg, that recipe brings back some wonderful memories of big country breakfasts at my G/ma's, along with fried eggs, sausage with apples and big heavy biskits with gravey, yum yum yum............a million calories per bite, but worth it, lol.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  4:34:47 PM  Show Profile
Heather, my grandmother made those all the time. She would get them all crispy around the edges. That was my favorite part. I still make them sometimes. They are SO good!

I would love a good recipe for Shepard's Pie.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  5:52:27 PM  Show Profile
I want the molasses popcorn ball recipe!

I love johnny cakes. I will try the recipe! Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  6:42:35 PM  Show Profile
I'd love the Shepherds Pie recipe! That would be a cook thing to cook this weekend.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Johnny Cakes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page