Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 one of my girls layed her first egg
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic one of my girls layed her first egg Next Topic  

MrsDirtDoctor
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Hallowell Maine
USA
165 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  12:53:13 PM  Show Profile
check out my blog! I'm such a happy mother hen right now! to hold them and care for them since they were a day old and to see them now is such a proud feeling :)

http://chickenladies.blogspot.com/2009/11/my-lady-became-woman-today.html

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  1:01:59 PM  Show Profile
Shayna your chickens are so pretty and your coup is too. I just love chickens. Congratulations.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

rhondacate
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Rhonda
Janesville CA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  1:34:44 PM  Show Profile
Such a fun discovery!! It's always fun.
~Rhonda

http://rmfo-blogs.com/rhonda
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  1:36:16 PM  Show Profile
Shayna, ain't it great?? That first egg. Man, I was shocked when I saw my first egg. It is so exciting. Your hens are very pretty girls. Do you put a light in your coop? I am still thinking about that.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

MrsDirtDoctor
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Hallowell Maine
USA
165 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  1:44:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies!!! Kris, i don't have a light in their yet but Maine winters are harsh and i want them to stay warm as well as keeping their water from freezing, so hubby is planning on putting a 100 watt in their coop..it's a small coop and will keep them plenty warm, i'm just scared the constant light will drive them batty and drive my electric bill batty as well..haha
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  2:06:23 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
shayna, how exciting to get your first egg!! i am excited every time lol. here in alaska we have 24 hour daylight in the summer and my girls do just fine. in fact the momma hens will put their babies to bed at the same time every evening so obviously the light isnt their only clock! your hens will be fine tho i am afraid your power bill wont be *sigh* we have a heat lamp on the goats, a 100 watt light in the hen house, a tank heater in the cows water tank and have to plug our vehicles in so that they will start with the severe cold. in the summer we rarely uselights in the cabin but winter they run 24/7. our only saving grace is that we unplug the deep freeze for about 4-5 months lol! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  7:30:25 PM  Show Profile
hi shayna how about putting your light on a timer to come on late in night and go off in am when it warms a little. might help the power bill some. just a thought sherrye
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic one of my girls layed her first egg Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page