Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2009 :  06:54:51 AM  Show Profile
Buying flea meds for our 3 dogs is expensive and I don't like the toxic chemicals on them or near me. Does anyone have an herbal solution that works for your pets?

"You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd.....
But you can be happy if you've a mind to. All you've gotta do in knuckle down, buckle down and do it, do it, do it!"

MeadowCrone
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Bernadine
Island Park and Salem ID
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  6:59:22 PM  Show Profile
Woven collars of Eucalyptus,or Fleabane, or Tansy, or Pennyroyal. Especially if impregnated with Eucalyptus. This is advice from Juliette de Bairadi Levy. Her books are wonderful

Gratefully living on the "fat of the land".
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  7:07:50 PM  Show Profile
Check out a product called Ashley's Green Products: Pet Pride NO FLEA food and water supplement.
I use it on my cats and we have no fleas. It goes in their drinking water and to me it smells like vinegar and garlic. I get a 16 oz bottle at my feed store for $10.00. At 1 Tbsp. at a time, it will last a while - google it.................

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

podsandpetals
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Cindy
Genoa NY
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  12:26:56 PM  Show Profile
Hope I'm not to late here. -I give my cats and dogs brewers yeast and garlic tablets- they love them and it repels fleas. The problem with the liquids -like Advantage- is that the fleas are constatly building up resistance. The companies which make these flea meds must continually change formulas to try to keep ahead of the fleas resistance. Sometimes it works- sometimes it doesn't.
Don't much like the thought of putting what is basically a pesticide on my animals anyways. Try the brewers yeast- most feed stores carry it.
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  5:39:34 PM  Show Profile
I put lemon oil on a bandana around my dogs neck - the fleas hate it!
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  11:12:10 AM  Show Profile
I steep about a Tablespoon of Dried Rosemary in a cup of water. Let cool and place in a spray bottle and add more water to fill. I keep this in the fridge during the warmer weather and just give my dog a spritz before she goes out. be sure to watch out for eyes and delicate areas.

I plan on growing some Tansy soon to help repels insects.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Leilaht
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Elizabeth
Highland MI
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2010 :  05:33:26 AM  Show Profile
Both of our dogs had fleas when we got them. After the flea bath to get rid of them, neither one of them have had them. I still say it is because we let them lick the plates after we eat before they are washed and they get the garlic and onions in our food. Fleas have never been an issue. I don't give them heartworm medicine either. Always makes the vet mad, but one of our dogs is 13 and she is way healthier than most other dogs we know.

Liz

Strength and honor are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

Proverbs 31:25
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2010 :  7:48:19 PM  Show Profile
I have tried ALL of these remedies and we still have fleas. Even the chemicals dont work anymore in my area.

fat people are harder to kidnap.

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
www.whimsyscents.com
www.etsy.com/shop/daltonfabrics
Go to Top of Page

Homekeepn
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Cathy
West Gardiner Maine
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  12:01:49 PM  Show Profile
I have read that giving dogs onions and garlic can lead to anemia. We use some cococnut shampoo and a flea comb to combat it in the flea season.

---Cathy---
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2010 :  06:27:04 AM  Show Profile
I got this tip from Backyard Chickens!
Put organic apple cider vinegar in their water. Start with a teaspoon to a gallon of water and gradually work up to a tablespoon or more.
With my last batch of chicks, I had babies dying right after I got them, so I tried the acv for that, and then started reading that people put it in their dogs water for flea prevention.
My 2 dogs have never had fleas since we've had them- they're both over 3, so I don't know for sure if it is just that we have no fleas here, or the acv is working, but the acv won't hurt them and actually helps to boost their immune system.
It's worth a try!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

"If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down. "~ Mary Pickford

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2010 :  3:57:30 PM  Show Profile
You might want to avoid the pennyroyal as it is neurotoxic. I can cause seizures especially in animals. Yes it will work but why take a chance.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2010 :  3:08:29 PM  Show Profile
Susan, I'm fighting the fleas too. We didn't have any until 2 years ago. I think it must be a cycle of somekind. I've been trying shampoos, sprays, drops, vinegar in the water, lemon water, and nothing seems to help. I've also been treating my yard once a week. The last time I bathed them, I used Ivory shower gel and it seemed to get rid of as many as the flea shampoo and is much cheaper.

Judy

"Courage is when you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what". Atticus Finch - To Kill a Mockingbird
Go to Top of Page

Lavalily
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Lucy
Ocean View HI
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  8:20:19 PM  Show Profile
People I know here in Hawaii say they sprinkle a little food-grade diatomaceous earth on their pet's food. I have been looking for some to put on my own cat's food.
Lucy in Hawaii

Aloha,
Lucy
http://lavalily.com
Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2010 :  07:24:50 AM  Show Profile
I'm with susan. I tried EVERYTHING and unfortunately could not get a natural remedy to work, as much as I wanted to. I have aLOT of pets though, and a fully carpeted house (not my choice ugh) so those with other situations obviously have better luck than I!
Go to Top of Page

rschaaf
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Renee
Wooster Ohio
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  7:39:09 PM  Show Profile
I used to work with a lady that made sachets and filled them with lavender. She had a lot of cats and put the sachets in their baskets and here and there around the house to repel fleas. Never tried it myself, but she said it worked.

"There is beauty, there is grace, in my peaceful country place!"

See what I'm up to at: http://www.lifeonctfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Flea meds? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page