Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic The Trappings of Life Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  11:23:16 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Am I THAT weird for not wanting what is the standard of most Americans? That I strive for living with less and less each year yet I can positively say, I am happier each year? I went through a very short period of materilism, if you can even call it that. I thought brand names would make me #1 in the world of people who surrounded me. All it did was make me #1 in debt and then I was left caring for all of this stuff I had accumulated.

I had someone once tell me that I live like I am voluntarily poor...and HOW could I do this? I do not mean to make any aspect of poor somehow seem fun or fine. It can be a terrible roller coaster that some people are never able to get off. But in my case, I came from a relatively rich part of the country and when I set out on my Naval adventures, it was as if I was seeing the human spirit and heart for the first time.

I think back now to my first years in the Navy, making $535 every 2 weeks...yeppers...that is what I actually made. But I somehow made it work and once I got through that fuzzy materialistic phase, I was VERY happy.

I had a shared barracks room, with 2 twin beds that each had 2 smallish drawers underneath (captains beds???) , 2 -4 drawer dressers and 2 desks, 1 shared small fridge, and an armoir with 3 drawers for a tv. There were 2 decent size walk in closets, each with locks, a sink on the outside of the bathroom and then a tub and toilet inside the bathroom. I was in pure simplicity bliss!!!! I can recall how I barely filled up the closet, mostly with uniforms and necessary items. I lived in t-shirts and jeans and flip flops (gee, not much has changed) and I could be ready in seconds. My roomate and I loved to explore...coffee shops, old dusty downtowns, hiking, biking, swimming, movies and mostly just hanging out, watching old movies and endless amounts of laughter.

I found that many people tried to convince me that once I got married or was of older (older being over 25 at the time ), I somehow had to start obtaining the adult things in life---the furniture and chotskies---a right of passage...I had to have a decorating style and I was expected to work long hours, love to shop 'til I drop and always try to be up on the latest greatest. But..somehow...I missed that memo...and really gave no thought to it. Sure, I accumulated stuff but not in way to prove my responsibility or that I could roar "I AM ADULT..check out my stuff!!!"

I guess my point is I have never been drunk on the trappings of life. I like things to be neat and clean and I try my best not to waste, share where I can and take care of what I am blessed with. I just do not find dissatisfaction in not having something and thoroughly enjoy what I do have. I could honestly give up everything we do own and walk away. I could list maybe 10 things I would take...the rest could go. Why is it so hard for people to believe that??? I actually get excited with thinking of that possibility...is my wiring all wrong???

Heather

"Hitch your wagon to a star"

http://somewheredownintexas-heather.blogspot.com

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  11:44:51 AM  Show Profile
Heather, I guess I'm weird too. When I was younger (28 ) I lived in a simple loft apartment with my boyfriend, we had very little, I loved our loft and all that we DIDN'T have...we could move in a couple of small car loads.
When I was 36, my mother passed away suddenly and I became so depressed and started pack ratting junk to try and fill the loss...Now I am going back the other way again and slowly getting rid of more and more of my life's trappings. I find satisfaction with less and have more life that means something with out it all. "NEEDING" all of life's trapping to feel ok and keep up with the rest of America only leads to unhappiness and a constant need for more, doesn't it? And then there is all of the debt...

I get what you're saying and agree with you all the way.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  12:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
IMO...
I think the title to this thread sums it up perfectly the "Trappings" of Life...and things are exactly that. I know that "things' are essential, shelter, food, clothing...that's Biblical...but the rest is "stuff" we saddle ourselves with. Stuff and acquiring stuff with debt, on credit, as status symbols; the big house, (big house note), big yard, big maintenance, big vehicle & big car note. Not every one has used credit, lot's of folks lived within their means and built and acquired necessities the right way. For others,building on credit, it takes a few years or a crisis to see their "trappings." America became a society of easy credit & I really believe it's all a big lie, credit card companies deceived a lot of people. those lies made the credit card companies and banks a LOT of money, off the backs and out of the wallets of hard working Americans. A lie most of America has bought into. I also believe folks have been wising up for some time now, this forum is an indication of that.
My husband and I "bought into" the trap for a while, and after many painful lessons, we are using a program Dave Ramsey has made available, Financial Peace Revisited, to break free of credit card debt. Dave's program teaches how to get out of debt and build wealth - using cash! It's practical, not easy, but very do-able. Millions of dollars paid off by folks that live @ or below the poverty level or have median incomes. He teaches using "baby steps" He's got a TV program on Fox, and a radio program weeknights and Saturday's. Dave Ramsey had millions as a young man with a family; primarily on credit; lost it and nearly lost his family in the process. He made the decision then and dedicated his life to learning about money, how it works, what builds wealth, and he's been a Biblical based financial advisor (teacher) for about 20 yrs now. My husband and I aren't debt free yet, but we're close, and God-willing, with preseverance and determination, we will be during 2010. The book can be checked out of the library...it can change your life, save your marriage, save your house if need be.

Say to them, may the Lord bless you and protect you, May the Lord smile upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace. (Numbers 6:23-26)

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  4:02:47 PM  Show Profile
I am really tired of all the stuff that I think I have to have. I am in the process of cleaning out my house now. I have started in the dining room. Already burned about 2 trash cans full of paper junk. I have a box started for a thrift store. I am sick of all the stuff here in this house. It's taken me all day just to clean out the buffet. Now I am working on the shelves and window seat storage. Out it goes. Stuff just weighs us down. When I cleaned out the "cat" room I had a truck load of trash. And it's a long bed truck. Full.

I am so ready to be at this stage you're in. Simple is so much better. So light and free.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  8:32:31 PM  Show Profile
What I want to know is, who decided that we were all "Consumers"? I thought I was a human being. Sometimes I think this whole consumer deal has been the biggest hoax ever perpetrated on mankind.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  8:49:09 PM  Show Profile
i agree, i was saying to my friend on the phone tonight. we live a week now on what john made in 6 hours when we were union. now we are unemployed to the real world. we just make it work. now mind you if we were not on a farm we would be in trouble. we eat what we produce or trade for other goods and services. i love this simple life. farmgirl all the way. we figure after 13 months of unemployment except 7 weeks in wy. we are still here and madly in love for 36 years. what fun is that life is good on the old farm. butchering turkeys and baby pygmy surprises and all lol sherrye
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic The Trappings of Life Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page