Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  03:39:41 AM  Show Profile
We use flea lights and yes they do work.

Do a google search.

Basically the light and heat attracts them. they land through a grid and stick to a sticky pad similar to what is udes for mice. The pad is covered by the gridso no pets can get stuck unless they start messing w/ the grid.

Place the little contraption either beneath the crate or close to where he/she spends the most time. My dog's crate is elevated off the floor w/ some bricks, so the light goes under there and plugs into the wall nearby.

We had a really bad flea problem just before Christmas.

In addition to the topical flea/tick meds. You can buy single doses of something called Capstar. It acts as a booster in addition to the Frontline or other topical. It's just a small tablet that boosts the potency for 24 hours. You give it the day before the topical.

There is also a month long acting tablet out now called Comfortis. It's really new and I haven't tried it on my own dog yet. Supposed to be gentle, but I'd just go w/ the Capstar for now.

I have also read about using Diatomacious earth...also called chinchilla dust!! So I guess this can be found at pet stores

I feel your pain!
Go to Top of Page

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  4:31:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
My dog had a bad case of fleas last spring. I found them on her belly and freaked! I took her and bathed her in a flea shampoo, treated my house...make sure you dust and vacuum around your baseboards, I found out when the flea comes off the dog it will look for a crack to hide in! Yuck! Then I treated my dog with Frontline. It is a little cheaper at the feed store than the other similar products. Vacuum as much as possible, don't leave the contents of your vacuum bag in the house take the trash out! We got rid of them in about 1 week. I am determined to be on top of it this spring!
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  06:15:59 AM  Show Profile
(if this has already been said, I'm sorry for the repeat) I think you can sprinkle Borax powder on your carpets and upholstery and put some in your vacuum canister/bag and leave it for a little while and then vacuum it all up.

But, if you have cats I think Borax is bad for them because they lick their paws. So, don't do the Borax if you have cats.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·. http://boinglink.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 08 2008 :  03:17:58 AM  Show Profile
Yea, becuase we had a slight problem, it got me into the habit of vaccuuming every Thursday (just easy to remember this way) and also washing the dog's bedding.

I still see her scratcing every now and then, but can't seem to get any off her when she is raked over w/ a flea comb
Go to Top of Page

Georgia Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

Denise
Atlanta GA
USA
212 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  7:48:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Georgia Girl an AOL message
Ok, here is the deal....

Advantage-the fleas actually have to bite the dog to die so the dog will still itch
Frontline- repels the fleas
Flea collars - works great in the vaccum but not on the dog. Fleas actually have to touch the collar to die
Promeris- kills all fleas and ticks within 30 minutes and supposedly repels them but I haven't heard much on this one yet, it is new
Ask your vet for a capstar pill if you animal is infested. It will kill all fleas on the dog within 30 minutes. It doesn't keep them off though. A similar pill called Comfortis kills them the same way and will kill fleas for 30 days, however, they have to bite the animal to die.

~Denise~
Proud Farmgirl Sister #113

http://mybigcityfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  7:04:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message