Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Insurance Next Topic  

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  07:13:21 AM  Show Profile
Ah the lecture. I went to the health clinic on campus yesterday. As an older student I got the doctor lecture about health insurance and the need for it. I'm pretty healthy. Had plurasy a few times and the eczema, but nothing major. Well this time I needed some tests, oh joy. The thought of health insurance drives me crazy, because our system is now such that you almost have to have it. I paid cash, my boyfriend does the same when he needs something, but this was enough to make me worry. I'm getting older, but how much is really needed. Costs are skyrocketting. If not for that pay as you go is a great thing. I make enough now I can stash aside for emergencies, small ones anyways. I haven't the total of yesterdays visit , but am supposed to go get a stress EKG test, which I am told is spendy. I think I was born in the wrong time. I like the local doctor, course we didn't know as much back then.

**Sigh**
Laurie

Best Growing

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  07:37:08 AM  Show Profile
I would check on what type of health insurance you can afford. Decide how much of a deductible I can afford and then choose a plan. Even if a person is normally healthy, accidents can happen, insurance will give some security against skyrocketing doctor, hospital, and prescription bills.

Best of luck on your tests. I would call ahead and ask the cost for each test. That is what I had to do until I got health insurance for myself and my sons 11 years ago.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  08:08:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Laurie! All the Universities I have attended require all students to carry insurance- either the University insurance or private- due to liability issues. I am surprised yours does't require it. Hope the tests aren't too spendy for you. My husband gets insurance through his work and I am ever so greatful for it. It only is about $60 a month out of his paychecks and we have a super low deductible.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  08:14:04 AM  Show Profile
I would never voluntarily go without health insurance if it was at all possible to have it. Especially if you are taking out loans to go to school, a medical emergency could double or triple them quickly.

Most of us eventually run into a catastrophic medical situation, and when it happens you aren't able to economize or control the cost of treatment the way you can with an ordinary purchase.

This was my experience: when my husband was in school, I worked at a retail chain store to pay our daily living expenses and provide health insurance. I had dreamed of working in a certain career field, and in the spring that he was due to graduate I had the opportunity to do it full time. It would have paid about the same as my retail job but no insurance benefits. I thought it over seriously, but decided to stick with the insurance.

Three weeks before graduation, my husband got sick and had to have a minor operation. It was absolutely necessary and lifesaving, but routine surgery. He was in the hospital 3 days. He went into the hospital the day after our health insurance would have lapsed if I had quit my retail job to follow my dream. The bill was over $30K, which we would have been responsible for if not for the insurance.

I truly believe that the best thing our government could do to support small business and entrepeneurship would be to give us a health insurance system that's not tied to employment. But until that day comes, having insurance is my number one priority when any major life/career decision comes up.

Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  11:12:31 AM  Show Profile
When it is only $60 a month I will carry it, but when it is $200-300 I refuse. I've looked into lots and none are cheap if you pay for them yourselves. Work is finally in discussions to get us some. Not sure how it will work since we are considered temp employees and don't work all the time. Time will tell.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  11:35:40 AM  Show Profile
We have the same problem. My husbands retirement included insurance, but now the company has gone up so much on the monthyly cost that we can no longer afford it. We paid 400.00 per month last year for both of us and now they want almost 1600.00 per month this next year. We will have to do something else and we are not old enough for ss and medicare. Its a real problem, but I do not agree with the government option either. After spending eight years in the military and receiving their government care I know I don't want that either. If anyone knows of any good insurance company's in your state please post. I've been worrying about this a lot lately.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  11:45:37 AM  Show Profile
We have only what is considered major medical. Super high deductible $5,000 and no Rx benefits. It's fairly reasonable monthly but covers nothing under the deductible except we each have one free check-up yearly including tests recommended during that visit. So the yearly "girly" visit is free under that. However, even if the visit you go for is not covered just hand them your insurance card anyways and you will get insurance prices on that visit. I've had that save a bunch even when I had to pay for the visit. I look at it as the most we could be liable for in a worst case situation is the $5,000 which is a bunch but not compared to what a big hospital bill could be. One last thing... here life flights are not covered by private insurance but we can contact the local agency and pay a small yearly fee that will cover an entire family or work crew. As loggers accidents are common in the woods and usually life flight is their only way to medical care so as an employer we have learned about that in our safety classes. I will be looking into that before we get started next spring again. Hope that's a little info for you...

Warm Wishes
Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
http://jenscountrylife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  11:58:58 AM  Show Profile
We are looking for just major medical coverage right now. I have priced some but are waiting for the info to get here in the mail. The problem is that each State only lets certain companies sell. I wish the market would really open up and we would probably all do a lot better. I also wish insurance belonged to the individual and the company did't do all of the negotiating. That's what happened to us. They are forcing the retired to drop the coverage after all these years.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Insurance Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page