Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Extreme simple living Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  11:02:03 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Hubby and I are on board with a 6 month radical, extreme simple living project. We anticipate this is how long it will take him to get discharged, so we are ramping up our efforts to pay off our debt as fast as we can. This mean EXTREME simple living from here on out...
We have agreed to:
1. No eating out...not even a coffee, soda or bagel. I have the weekly grocery bill to about $50 a week...it has changed out eating habits but for the better. I have actually lost 15 lbs without trying.
2. Making more of an effort to use less electricity and lowering running our house costs as low as we can go.
3. No shopping for things- not even clothing---unless absolutely necessary. Charlie is in need of some pants- 3 pairs will suffice. Reference #4 on this...
4. Christmas is bare minimum this year. We already have Charlie's stocking stuffers and all I need is a pair of new sneakers. I would also like some simple stud earrings- this will be Charlie's present to me ($15). Scott is in need of 2 things--again...this will be it for us. Charlie is getting his pants and 2 toys. The family gift is going to be paying down our debt with what we save. Our Christmas budget is set at $150 for all of us.
5. We have actually been spending a lot of time at the park, walking or riding our bikes. I am printing coloring pictures off the printer for Charlie to color and I am teaching him his letter and he is practicing his writing. We also turn on the music channels and just dance and be silly. We built a tent the other day and Charlie was wearing Scott's uniform items--his canteen and hat...free.
6. I am making a HUGE effort to only shop once a week. I pretty much stay home but am taking delight in finding ways to cut back and just enjoy life more.
7. Yard sale- yes, I still have more I can sell. We are really moving towards a minimalist lifestyle. I already have 3 bins of stuff I can sell. Even if I only make $100, it is $100. Are biggest thing is to sell this behemouth of a tv stand w/the tv. I am asking $600 (this this is HUGE and with a 37 inch tv included). Lots of storage. We, eventaully, would like to get a medium size flat screen. We don't watch much tv but we do like our movies and music.

Most of all, I am grateful for what we have and where we are.

It looks like we will be able to channel an extra $150 a month into CC debt. That is going to really get things chipping away at it.

Most of all, this is about life and not being held down by CC debt anymore. I rather have very little and no debt than even have a little extra and not be able to sleep at night, worrying over paying debt. We also like the idea of just having what we need and nothing more to worry about or maintain. With Scott's health issues and our own personal goals in life, this is the best path to take for us. We are so excited.

Anyone else care to join us???

Heather

"Hitch your wagon to a star"

http://somewheredownintexas-heather.blogspot.com

Edited by - catscharm74 on Nov 08 2009 11:03:17 AM

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  1:11:56 PM  Show Profile
Heather, that sounds great! I sure wish my hubby would go for something like this so we could get his truck and our home paid for. We have never had a cc so no worries there but other bills tend to mount up just the same. Good luck on paying those debts! Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  05:02:42 AM  Show Profile
This is exactly what we are doing! Right now we dont have a washer or dryer, and get this, my fridge died...but Im holding firm! I will not buy anything until my debt is paid off, including my truck, and I can pay cash for appliances. Im with you girl!

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  06:34:15 AM  Show Profile
We are right there with you Heather. Due to my hubby's medical problems and bills we are scaling way back. Christmas will be simple, but I have never liked how comercial it is getting anyway. I don't need a thing. I have three new grandbabies so that is where my money will be spent
I think all around spending in this country has gotten so far out of hand. Time to go back to the basics, teach our kids about real life.

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  07:49:13 AM  Show Profile
You go, girls!!

I've never had a cc in my life, always paid cash. I get a kick how people tell me that you have to have one in an emergency but I've yet ran across such a bad emergency that a cc would've saved me! It is a statistical fact that within 10 years of someone filing bankruptcy, if they kept a cc for 'emergencies', most filers are back to where they were in the first place.

Hubby and I were REQUIRED by an entity to take a financial health course just last week. Okay, so the guy calls us and after going over our finances, the guy says we are better than fine, we should be teaching others! I mean, I'm tighter than bark on a tree!!

I've done drive-way sales too, less storage (out of my office and spare bedroom) and some money.

We're not doing Xmas big this year either. Just for the grands and a something for each other. I've learned to cook from scratch, think pancakes, cornbread, yellow cakes, etc.. Canning from the garden. Not a fancy place for my horse, which I think she likes just fine. Buy generic as much as possible. Altho, some things need to be name-brand as generic tastes terrible. Using wood in our stove to heat, haven't turned on the forced air. Don't go to town except for about once, maybe twice a week. Have dial-up instead of sattelite internet, it's a lot slower but I'm only on some boards and can't justify the extra expense just yet. Sewing and knitting our own caps and clothes. Bartering as much as possible.

That's a little bit of what we're doing.

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  07:51:05 AM  Show Profile
Forgot to mention, I go to the library now instead of buying books. K Falls has the mother of all libraries, let me tell you!!

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  08:25:16 AM  Show Profile
We are trying to cut way back on our spending lifestyle too...gonna be a simple Christmas with a lot of it home made, for us. Since we don't have kids of our own we try to give to the elders in the family and the kids. But even that is going to be something simple this year. Before I buy things, I'm trying to see if I can make it myself. I love re-purposing everything that I can. Part of it is REALLY taking a hard look at what you NEED -VS- What you WANT ... Less really is more =)
I actually started getting rid of things this weekend, at long last!!! And it felt SO good! Bags and bags to the thrift, and I STILL have way too much.

My biggest problem with simplifying is getting my packrat other half on board...he HATES sorting things, so I just need to sort things into categories for him and get him to choose what he keeps from there...sometimes you need to give nudges to get them going...they refer to this as nagging heehee

I don't have numbers for you because Drew does all the bills...I am helpless with numbers, but I'm into the simplicity lifestyle and want to move all of me body, mind and soul in that direction.

Lord preserve me from yard sales and junk shops!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  05:14:25 AM  Show Profile
Heather, How inspiring !! You will come out on the other side of this adventure of yours truly blessed and with so much more than when you started. I am going to take another look at your list and adopted some of your ideas.

Blessings,
Tammyb
Sisterchick #541

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  06:03:45 AM  Show Profile
My hat is off to all of you!!! Keep up the hard work. Paying interest on cc's is like paying for a dead horse. Never have done it and never hope to. Just keeps me scratching my head when folks use plastic all the time.
Nancy in Ark

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2009 :  2:47:11 PM  Show Profile
Heather when you get that debt paid off off, it will truly be exhilerating and all the tightening up your budget will be so worth it! You feel so free and unburdened. I know you will do a grand job of it.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2009 :  9:05:54 PM  Show Profile
yup! we do all of the above! A big eating out venture is $5 for tacos or something at the drive thru. I'm workin real hard to keep our grocerie bills down. We shop thrift stores, when we do. I was lucky last month to make a few sales on my etsy store and I was able to get my DH some new work shoes for $4! And he loves them!

It's hard at times to batten down the hatches, but there is such freedom too. I never have buyers regret or that sad let down when you feel crappy, go shopping and come home and things are the same as they were before you went to 'retail therapy'. I also don't feel this need any more to be up with other people who have newer phones and shoes, or fancy TVs or DVD's even! I'm watching VHS right now! Sword in the Stone, which we scored for $1 at the thrift store. I'm also making all of our bread, and it's not hard at all thanks to the Mary Jane no knead way! It takes less time than running to the store! And we're eating a whole lot of beans.

Oh I could really go on and on. But just know, I'm right here with ya! We're struggling so that I can stay home with our kiddos, it sure is worth it, who needs two cars anyways?

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2009 :  10:28:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Heather- you are doing great. About the only thing that wish could get Doug to get rid of is our TV service. I like having the set itself for movies and such but I am not such a fan of Cable. I can watch everything online if I really want to see it. Keep up the awesome work!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  07:03:37 AM  Show Profile
Wow ladies you are all inspirational. I started at the end of last month entering all the money I spend into a spread sheet. Besides the unexpected medical bills, the only ouch was the ink cartridges. I send out a monthly newsletter to family and friends. I bought two as it saves some money, but it hits you up front. My food bill has been pretty low since I am stocked with lots of stuff from the summer and buy bulk beans and grains as much as I can. I too am making bread, though I don't eat a lot of it anyways, so mom and I split a loaf. My one weakness is chai tea. I try not to buy too many when I'm around town and I know I got addicted when I was deployed and working long hours. I try to make them at home, but sometimes I'm out and it sounds sooo good. (Or I get a nurse that tries to take blood and it hurts to the hills!!

I do unplug everything when not in use, tv, dvd, computer, not the clocks as I don't want to reset, and that really keeps the electric bill down. It is amazing how little I use those a few hours a day maybe.

What other hints do folks have?

Laurie

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Kerrfolk
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Jennifer

1 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  9:26:23 PM  Show Profile
Just the title alone "Extreme Simple Living" excites me! I have been "extremely" motivated to simplify my life in the past year. I am especially focused because we anticipate positive changes once my husband graduates in Nov 2010 from college (Aeronautics).

I used to love our 2,100 + sq. ft. house for our family of 3; now I just want a little cabin near the woods. I used to be a pack rat; now I'm shedding excess like there's no tomorrow.

We have been living frugally for years and only have mortgage debt. Our "new beginning" after we move will include taking bigger strides towards self sufficient living. I am deeply inspired by the way of life on Little House on The Prairie by the way... :)

Our main goals for the coming months is to continue minimizing and progressively replace regular household items and consumables with homemade and organic items.

I'm homeschooling my daughter (4 yrs old) with a relaxed (and low-cost) approach.

With the sale of our house, we will determine to never have loan debt again. I'm very excited about that!

I'm with "goneriding". We've never had a credit card after almost 10 years of marriage. I am amused when relatives with money problems (which they admit are largely due to credit card use) are adamant that you need them for emergencies.

It's my observation that credit cards typically become "necessary" during emergencies simply because they don't save during non-emergency times and are "forced" to scramble for their best credit card (after all, one is usually not enough). ;) It seems to me that you don't need a credit card until you get one - and then it tends to get you.

Vividly envision what you want your life to look like until you develop what I call a Great, Big "Want To" (aka motivation), write down your ideas of what you need to do, and get busy simplifying.

-Jenn
www.EnjoySimpleLiving.com

Leave the chaos behind and live refreshingly natural!
www.EnjoySimpleLiving.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  05:48:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jennifer- you are largly right! If you have a rainy day fund that has enough in it to handle an emergency- most debit cards will read on the credit card machines just fine so you don't even need a "Credit card" to rent a car for example.

My husband and I are are trying really hard to simplify our lives and spending habits because in a couple of years we have an investment that will mature and we want to use that on a house- not debt from silliness in the past.

The good news for me is that I don't have a credit card and I don't owe on a closed one!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on Jan 30 2010 05:51:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

donna rae
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Donna Rae
Virginia Beach VA
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  4:24:54 PM  Show Profile
So enjoy reading all the posts... great inspiration and ideas. We're working on the same things ourselves. It's difficult as my mom lives with us and I feel obligated to keep cable tv, maintain a certain indoor temperature, purchase certain non-essential food items, etc., etc., for her comfort.

Donna Rae
Farmgirl Sister # 593
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  08:32:32 AM  Show Profile
Heather, We are doing the same thing. We are going to buy the farm we have been renting next year this time. I have made a budget and my husband's paycheck(which isnt alot)is going into savings. We are paying down our medical bills and the credit card debit down. This will help us with good credit score. And we will have a good down payment. We are eating at home more and taking leftovers for lunch at work. If we need cloths we are going to thirft stores. Or we are just doing without. I have alot of things to downsize and I plan on going to a flea market to sell this spring and summer to make money to put in savings. It is hard for my DH more than it is for me. We do have netflix but I dont remember to take the movie back to blockbuster so it is cheaper. That is our splurge. I bake alot so we dont have to buy sweets at the grocery. I have one of those freezer type ice cream makers and I will be making ice cream that way for the spring and summer. We dont have central air or heat so we use window units and space heaters. We bought a heater that uses the tank we use for the grill outside. And it has been great. But it seems our electric bill has gone up this winter more than last winter. We are really trying...I am sure like everyone else.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Extreme simple living Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page