twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  09:45:27 AM  Show Profile
Is it just me, or does all the olive oil these days smell rancid from the get-go?

I bought some expensive organic, cold-pressed OO at the HFS yesterday, got it home, opened it up to use it for olive oil and vinegar dressing and it smelled rancid from the moment I opened it. This seems to have become the norm and I'm about ready to go back to using that junky Wesson oil! It seems that every bottle of OO I've purchased in the past two years just plain stinks when it's opened. I've checked the freshness dates and they are all well within the expiration times.

I love coconut oil, but it doesn't work too well for certain things because it is too heavy. I also love walnut oil and avocado oil, but they're expensive and if you don't use them within about one week to 10 days of opening, they go bad, too.

Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem, and/or what type of oil you use. If you use OO, what brand do you buy?

-Deb

http://healthtalk.6.forumer.com/index.php

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you'll land amongst the stars. - Anonymous

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  05:10:04 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like a problem, I have never had a bad bottle of olive oil. Currently I purchase Braggs Olive Olive Oil. It is organic, and always good. I have purchased some cheaper ones that did not seem quite as good. But never any rancid. I would take it back to the merchant. I buy OO through a food coop, called Country Life. But have also purchased some at a local health food store and it has always been good. Is it possible you just dont like the smell of OO? Curious.
Sheri

Many Hands Make Light Work!

...God made the seed to grow...1 Cor 3:6

The best fertilizer for a farm, are the farmers footsteps...

Edited by - Lynner on Nov 09 2009 05:10:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  07:46:28 AM  Show Profile
... I think that Wesson or another name brand carries Olive Oil.. if you wanna try one of those?

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766
(29 Sept 2009)
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  08:13:49 AM  Show Profile
I have never had this problem, and I've bought several differant brands over the years.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  08:43:15 AM  Show Profile
I've never had a problem either with olive oil. I buy Whole Foods Spanish Olive Oil and we just love it.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  5:10:14 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Lynner

Sounds like a problem, I have never had a bad bottle of olive oil. Currently I purchase Braggs Olive Olive Oil. It is organic, and always good. I have purchased some cheaper ones that did not seem quite as good. But never any rancid. I would take it back to the merchant. I buy OO through a food coop, called Country Life. But have also purchased some at a local health food store and it has always been good. Is it possible you just dont like the smell of OO? Curious.
Sheri

Before I purchased the expensive stuff from the HFS, I had purchased some from our food co-op (also organic) but I don't remember the name. It came in a small tin can and was really good - actually tasted like green olives. Then I bought some store brand junk (Bertolli or something like that) and it was just rank tasting, didn't smell too bad though. Now I've purchased the organic Spectrum from the HFS and it stinks AND tastes awful - very strong, in both regards.

This isn't the first bad bottle I've gotten, so it's almost like this is getting to be the norm, whether I purchase expensive or cheap. I like to use OO to make homemade mayo but this last stuff is just waaaay too strong, plus I don't like the smell and am wondering if it's not good even though it should be, according to the dates and stuff.

I guess I need an education about OO once again, because there seems to be so many different brands now, and so many different types: extra virgin, virgin, extra-virgin cold-pressed...holy cow, it's enough to make me dizzy.

I'm looking for a mild flavored oil, it doesn't necessarily have to be OO, for homemade dressings, mayo, etc. Anyone want to share the brands you use?

-Deb

Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  5:14:12 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ddmashayekhi

I've never had a problem either with olive oil. I buy Whole Foods Spanish Olive Oil and we just love it.

Dawn in IL

Oh Dawn, I only WISH we had a Whole Foods Market. Not that they've been without incident in the past, but for the most part I would love to have one. According to what I've read, however, my area doesn't have enough college graduates per square mile (or some kooky thing) to support the ownership of a franchise for a Whole Foods. Sounds like a corporate crock of bull to me, but what do I know?!

-Deb

Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  5:16:38 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Karrieann

... I think that Wesson or another name brand carries Olive Oil.. if you wanna try one of those?

(29 Sept 2009)

Yep, I've seen and used some of these "off brands" as I call them (!) but have never had much luck with those either. Although, that was a while ago, so maybe I'll have to give them another try. Maybe production methods have improved or sumthin'.

-Deb

Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2009 :  09:22:39 AM  Show Profile
....any luck?

(29 Sept 2009)
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2009 :  4:34:32 PM  Show Profile
I haven't purchased any new stuff yet. I did, however, pick up some walnut oil in order to make my homemade salad dressing and homemade mayo. It worked out pretty well, but with the walnut oil it only keeps in the fridge for about 5 days. With olive oil it usually keeps about 10 days.

But I still haven't found a good one to use with vinegar on a salad. It all tastes so strong or something. Maybe my taster is just on tilt or something, but I just can't find an oil that works on a salad! I love avocado oil but there again, it hasta be used up really fast or it goes bad. I suppose I could use it in a cake or something but I hate to use that expensive oil in a cake! That's why I bought a whole gallon of coconut oil. Makes such moist cakes.

-Deb

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  08:04:46 AM  Show Profile
I always go for the darkest EVOO & make sure it is first cold pressed. I've never had any problems. I love the smell. I could drink it.
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  4:44:16 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, what brand do you use?

-Deb

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  5:06:05 PM  Show Profile
Deb
I do not use any specific brand, but whenever I buy it, I go for the darkest bottle, & always make sure it is glass( or in a large tin, if it is a brand I trust) & that is is first cold pressed. Some of the bottles I look at say cold pressed but they are so pale in color. I always go for the darkest. I have a wide variety of brands, & that is probably because I look at the color, the first cold pressing & then the price. I go through so much that the brands vary, depending on where I am shopping, but I have never had it smell rancid, probably cause I use so much!! Go with the darkest, is my best advice. I have yet to open a bottle of olive oil that smelled bad.. I love it... Seriously, I often think of filling up a shot glass & downing it!! I love my EVOO~~
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  5:57:49 PM  Show Profile
may i suggest that buying olive oil from calif. is always fresher. in the food ind. restaurant we always used olive oil from the states.we do get italys old oil. its just something people in food have known raw cold processed olive oil should be light in taste and fresh flavor. when we would serve crusty bread with malt vinegar the real stuff and olive oil to dip the bread in it was always a hit. i also agree with dark glass and dark olive oil is rich and delicous.
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  7:32:48 PM  Show Profile
I try to buy organic, first cold pressed. But the stuff I buy is in a dark green bottle (Spectrum) and it's hard to see the color, but it has a green look when I pour it. I don't like the light golden oils, which I why I started buying organic.

I was buying Spectrum for years, but just recently they must have changed their methods or something. It just isn't the same product, and has this weird smell always. Like it's old.

So, I tried a bunch of other oils, some from the health food store (HFS), some from the regular grocery. Now, some of those come in such dark glass bottles that I have no way of telling what color the oil is until I get it home. But it all has a weird, old smell. I wish they would keep it refrigerated, but no one does, not even the HFS.

I never thought about checking the origin before, because it usually says Italy's best or something. But I'll look anyway because that may be just a marketing thing.

Thanks for the tips farmgirls. Someone here mentioned in an earlier post that maybe it just smells bad to ME. Now that's a real possibility! Not really, because it tastes bad, too. My sniffer and my taster both seem to be going through the change along with the rest of me ...

-Deb

Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  8:57:41 PM  Show Profile
I am not a fan of olive oil. I do not like it much at all. But I use it because it is healthy. I have no help to offer on the OO but would suggest you become familiar with sesame oil. It is healthy too and tastes good (to me) just do not know how it will work in your recipes. In some salad dressings it is really wonderful.
LaVonna

Farmgirl Sister #758
www.windsongwellnessandtherapyshoppe.com
http://sadiesfarm.blogspot.com/
http://healthtalkcafe.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  09:12:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I know that there are lots of different tastes to olive oil. A few years ago when the food co-op in Moscow ID decided to carry another type of olive oil, they invited all the members in for an oil taste and voting session. It was really interesting to read the reviews. Some of the oils had a very mild taste, and some were even listed as astringent! There are also several varieties of olives to press from and of course how they are processed- it all makes it taste different.

Another great lighter oil is grape seed oil. It is about on par with olive oil cost, very healthy and little to no taste.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2009 :  01:04:27 AM  Show Profile
Someone gave me a bottle of Crisco olive oil and it was horrible!! America's Test Kitchen did a test on different brands and the top one was Pompeian. I know that it's not organic and I've never tried it. There has been a real problem in the US with adulterated olive oil. Italy has very stringent standards for their olive oil and it's regulated by the government. What they export to us is about the lowest on their scale - read this in an article in a magazine. I've had Trader Joe's EV before and it's good.

Handmade Soap, Lotion Bars & More! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Brownie Lady
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Vanessa
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2009 :  05:51:07 AM  Show Profile
I use:
Trader Joe's Premium EVOO
All Natural Cold Pressed
Imported from Italy; Packed in the US
Says it contains EVOO from Italy, Spain, Argentina, and Greece
32 oz. bottle and not expensive
Comes with an oil spritzer top thing
I like the flavor and the price

However, for baking/lighter oil uses, I use:
Trader Joe's 100% Canola oil
Expeller Pressed-No Solvents used

So glad Trader Joe's came to Williamsburg! Now if we could just get a Whole Foods.....

Vanessa
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Olive Oil Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page