Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 How to become a sucessful Farmer.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic How to become a sucessful Farmer. Next Topic  

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2009 :  7:01:41 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
What are your tips to become a sucessful farmer or farmgirl???

Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2009 :  7:37:01 PM  Show Profile
Blood, sweat and alot of tears, determination, trial and error, listening to others who have lots of experience, don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, if you first don't secede, try again after asking more questions, be honest to a fault, never lie or brag, cause it will come back to haunt you. Be prepared to fail, and if you don't, give your self a pat on the back, cause for every win, you will have 2 failures, the life of a farmer/rancher is one of the hardest lives, and don't let anyone tell you its not.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2009 :  8:02:23 PM  Show Profile
Hey Chananah! I agree wholeheartedly with Theresa and I'd also like to add: Listen. Listen to the elders, farmers who've been there, done that, older women, farmwomen--or ANY woman--they all have so much to teach and tell us about life.

Learn from other farmers, hobbyists, locals, and more and I think you'll learn alot about farming and life!

I'd also say--be willing to take risks! So much of life actually is NOT safe, and sometimes you have to jump in to make things happen, instead of sitting by in "false" safety, watching the world go by!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Life: www.wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com
art/dolls: www.wildatheartart.blogspot.com
Plan to save America the old fashioned way!
http://wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com/2009/05/big-project.html

Edited by - Farmtopia on Nov 07 2009 8:04:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4237 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4237 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  04:23:48 AM  Show Profile
Hard work. You can't wait for someone to do it for you. You have to get out and do it yourself.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  04:43:04 AM  Show Profile
Amen! I totally agree. Also start small. Sometimes I go overboard and get overwhelmed. It can happen fast, too. It helps to find a farm nearby that has things you are interested in and see if you can apprentice for them. There are alot of places like that that would be willing to do that. Farmers are great people and love what they do and are so there for you. We want more farmers!! I wish you lived near me. I'd love an apprentice.

Get lots of books, too. But really, books are great, but until you actually do it, it's not the same at all. Experience is the best teacher out there.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  4:01:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
i agree, it is alot of hard work, i have been with my BF who is a farmer for a little over a year. I went from city girl to farm girl. Two very different lifestyles. Farm life is very simple. I learned that very quickly. But the atmosphere on a farm is that like no other.

"My ideal day is sitting on the back porch, cup of green tea in hand, slippers on, and just watch the cows in the pasture"

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  03:36:15 AM  Show Profile
YES!

Hard work and lots of weed pulling, patience, trial and error

Crop rotation

Always plant to excess. Some for you, some for the bugs, some that won't make it and some to share you bounty
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic How to become a sucessful Farmer. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page