Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 knitting question, please help!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic knitting question, please help! Next Topic  

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2009 :  06:08:51 AM  Show Profile
I found a pattern on-line to make a round dishcloth called a "Tribble". The pattern looked real easy. Cast on 18 stitches. Row 1 knit. Row 2 K1, SSK, K13, K1F&B, K1. Repeat first two rows, til it's about 10 inches long. Thats it! But, I have no idea what SSK or F&B mean or how to do it. I've looked in my books and there aren't any abbreviations that look like that. If anyone can help me out here I would really, really appreciate it!

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2009 :  06:59:11 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
ssk = slip, slip, knit
Work to the place where the decrease is to be made. Slip the next 2 stitches, one at a time as if to knit, to the right needle.

Insert the left needle into the fronts of these two stitches and knit them together. One stitch is decreased. This decrease slants to the left.

On the purl side of the work, the decrease is called slip, slip, purl (ssp). In the same way as ssk, slip the 2 stitches on at a time as if to knit to the right needle. Purl them together through the back loops (see the FAQ on purling through the back loops for detail). This decrease slants to the left.
On the purl side of the work, the decrease is called slip, slip, purl (ssp). In the same way as ssk, slip the 2 stitches on at a time as if to knit to the right needle. Purl them together through the back loops (see the FAQ on purling through the back loops for detail). This decrease slants to the left.
This is from:

http://www.lionbrand.com

Say to them, may the Lord bless you and protect you, May the Lord smile upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace. (Numbers 6:23-26)

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2009 :  07:04:15 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
13. Increasing - Making a Simple Increase (knitting into the front and back of a stitch)

http://www.lionbrand.com/faq/75.html?language=

Say to them, may the Lord bless you and protect you, May the Lord smile upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace. (Numbers 6:23-26)

Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2009 :  08:31:29 AM  Show Profile
Oh Chandra, thank you so much! Now it makes sense! I wonder why that wasn't in my book... Thanks again!

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2009 :  08:37:46 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Melissa, you're welcome. I'm so glad it helped. I am a new knitter also and know that feeling of being stuck till you can figure it out...
The lion brand website is fantastic because it gives those big illustrations, there's a picture for just about every imaginable stitch, both knit and crochet...
Hope you'll understand that I am looking forward to knitting the dishcloth you mention...any chance there's a picture on a website that I can reference. I've saved the written instructions and will try that one next, but am hoping for a picture to refer to.
Happy knitting Melissa!

Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2009 :  4:34:36 PM  Show Profile
Chandra, I found it on Ravelry, they have tons of patterns there. The rest of the pattern goes like this. After it's ten inches long sew the diagonal ends together. Sew each long side with a running stitch. Then pull the yarn really tight to close the cirle, tie it off and weave in the loose ends. repeat the process on the other side. They are really cute and look like they would be more comfortable to use than the regular dishclothes. Good luck making them and thanks again for the help!

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic knitting question, please help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page