Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 starting a spinning cyber guild
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic starting a spinning cyber guild Next Topic
Page: of 2

knit1tat2
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Lorna Jean
Pender Nebraska
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  5:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Send knit1tat2 a Yahoo! Message
Hi all, for those you who spin with a wheel, or a spindle, or want to, please join in here for a fun way to share tips, help, and ideas!
I've been a hand spinner since I was 17yrs old, and knitting and crocheting since I was 5 (embroidering too). Not to brag, just had great teachers! And I know not everyone has had that gift, so let's share around and enjoy each other's company!
to see some of what I've made, and believe me this is only what's turned out, I tend not to show off what didn't!!lol,
http://photobucket.com/knit1tat2
And yup, that's many years' worth of work on that couch!
So show off what you do, we all would love to see! And let's find some new converts to handspinning!
Lorna Jean

we create our own economy

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2009 :  04:35:11 AM  Show Profile
Hi Lorna Jean !

I am new to spinning - received my first spinning wheel as a gift. I am learning slowly, but not very good at it yet. I know it will come with more practice, if I can just find the time!!! Thanks for starting a spot where we can share ideas, get help, etc. Any suggestions on how to keep my spinning smoother? I am still getting a lot of "lumps"!!

Thanks!
Luanne

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

knit1tat2
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Lorna Jean
Pender Nebraska
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2009 :  2:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Send knit1tat2 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Luanne, good roving, or well carded rolags is a must for smooth yarn, and then I smooth with the free hand, pull the fiber/hold the roving in my right hand, and smooth the yarn as it spins with my left thumb and pointer finger or two. Still get the nubs sometimes, but once plyed, it evens out amazingly! Still, the whole idea is for your handspun to 'look handspun' so some character in the yarn just makes it specially yours!!! Enjoy the process, and keep your first skeins, so you can look back in a year or so, and feel really good where are! Lorna Jean

Go to Top of Page

catgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Denise
New Market AL
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  11:10:09 AM  Show Profile
I have been spinning off and on for a couple of years but only one plys. I'm confused about plying, how should you ply it off the spindles? The same way you spun it on or counter? I'm afraid to ply the wrong way and end up with a mess. Any help is appreciated!

Denise in Alabama

nittinfool.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knit1tat2
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Lorna Jean
Pender Nebraska
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  4:38:49 PM  Show Profile  Send knit1tat2 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Denise, plying is great fun, and gives a more balanced yarn for knitting, crocheting, etc. (singles tend to pull the worked item to the direction of spin, creating lopsidedness!).
To ply, fill two bobbins with the singles you'd like to join. Then on a 3rd bobbin on the wheel, connect the end from each of the singles bobbins (tie a loop in your leader yarn, pull the two ends through for a few inches, and proceed to spin)to your leader yarn, and spin counter to how you spun the singles. Remember how you spun your singles, treddle the wheel in the oposite direction to ply.
Now, a few pointers, first rewind your leader yarn before attaching the singles, to wind from the flyer in the proper plying direction. Secondly, try to get a balanced ply, that is ply about 2 feet of yarn, and move your working hand up to the orafice creating a loop in the plyed yarn. If the loop twists back on itself, you're putting too much spin into your plying, if it just flops, not enough spin. This takes a bit of practice, but really isn't too precise. Close works just as well!
And thirdly, some yarns must be plyed a bit 'tighter' and some a bit looser. This depends hugely on the materials your yarn is spun from.
Above all else, have fun! Plying two different colors gives you a barber pole effect! Plying a colored yarn with white, tends to dilute the color, with black tends to accent the color, and so much more. Plying is a great tool towards making your ideal yarns!
Hope this helps you a bit, and show us your progress!
Oh yes, find something to corral your singles bobbins, a lazy kate is great, but a rod of some sort through the holes, and stuck into a basket, works just about as well. Chasing your bobbins is the worst frustration of plying I've ever experienced, but the cats loved it!!! lol,
enjoy!

Go to Top of Page

knit1tat2
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Lorna Jean
Pender Nebraska
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2009 :  4:39:49 PM  Show Profile  Send knit1tat2 a Yahoo! Message
Just a quick note, I've added a couple sock patterns on my etsy site, and hope you're all enjoying a bit of spinning, and a lot of great times! Lorna Jean

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2009 :  04:15:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi! I am new to this site, and I already LOVE it! I learned to spin last Christmas when my mother gave me a wheel. It is such a relaxing hobby. If you haven't already, check out www.sheepshedstudio.com for your fiber needs. Carol has very reasonalbe prices and a huge variety that changes constantly and is a wonderful person to do business with. I have way too much of her fiber hiding in my craft room!

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2009 :  11:56:33 AM  Show Profile
Glad you started this topic, nice to know there are other spinners involved in Mary Janes!

I got home last night and found a big box from Zeilinger's on my doorstep!

It was full of top that I had ordered made from 10 fleeces my daughter spotted on Craigslist (for free!).
I hauled the big dirty old things (wrapped up in two sheets) up to Frankenmuth, it turned out to be 100 pounds of wool, they washed it for me and combed some into top (it's a huge box and will take me a long time to spin)and they are going to spin the rest into sock yarn and double-knitting yarn. I was a little surprised at how much it will cost to process, (NOT FREE ANYMORE) but, it's MINE!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

knit1tat2
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Lorna Jean
Pender Nebraska
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2009 :  3:46:42 PM  Show Profile  Send knit1tat2 a Yahoo! Message
Hi ladies, what fun it sounds like you're all having! And isn't a lot of fun to get wonderful fiber from dirty raw wool? Carol at the Sheep Shed is a wonderful lady and they do have great fibers to play with! I have some of hers, and sooooo much of my own. Ah, to live until it's all sold or spun!

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  04:59:14 AM  Show Profile
I have one Jacob sheep in with the rest of my menagerie of animals. When I adopted her, the family that owned her had not had her sheared in several seasons. I was hoping to clean her up and be able to have her wool for my spinning. My husband and I trimmed off the huge mats of wool that were making her miserable,but now we can't find anyone to shear her properly. I can find plenty of people with clippers that are willing to give her a haircut, but they have no understanding of why the fleece can't just be whacked off so that she "looks better"! I have checked with the local agri teacher and several families that show sheep at the fair, but they don't sheer for wool to spin, only to clean their sheep up for shows. Any ideas of where to check next? Any websites that list people who offer this service? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Go to Top of Page

knit1tat2
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Lorna Jean
Pender Nebraska
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2009 :  12:46:04 PM  Show Profile  Send knit1tat2 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Isarah, there is a tutorial online (you'd have to do a search) on how to clip a sheep by hand as in do it yourself. I have a girlfriend that loves the process, and so does her sheep! She has icelandics, but hers stand so well, and love the grooming they get after shearing.
sheep get really itchy under their heavy fleeces, and once shorn love to get 'scratched' so she uses a curry brush and just gives them a good rub down after shearing.
And seriously, by clipping the fleece by hand, you can control the process, so I'd say look into it. Or go ahead and sacrifice the fleece this time, and get her cleaned up. then the next time she'd have a much better fleece for either you or someone else to use.
Another place to ask is the closest spinning guild, they may be getting local fleeces, and those folks would know of, or do themselves, hand spinning shearers.
Thanks, Lorna Jean

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2009 :  5:39:11 PM  Show Profile
Wow - I didn't know about them getting itchy. We will definitely get her cleaned up this week, one way or the other. She must have been miserable for a long time. All of our others are "hair" sheep - no wool involved. My husband and daughter have shown cattle at the fair, so he has experience with trimming up animals. I will look online and figure out how to do it. Thanks for the info!

Go to Top of Page

weaverchic
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

gerri
Largo Florida
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  06:22:35 AM  Show Profile
Hello Lorna Jean,

Have been spending alot of time visiting all the different topics and was so excited to see a group of farmgirls that spin.

I have been spinning for about 15 years. Just recently hooked back up with our local guild. I find that many of the "old timers" have so much to offer with their skills and wisdom. I can never get enough of that.

I like to spin all kinds of fibers. I use my handspun for knitting or to weave projects. My favorite is cotton. Of course living down south in Florida it is the most ideal. I spin cotton both on my wheel and a charka spinning wheel. I use the singles from the spindle to weave.

Glad to know that there are fiber enthusiast that enjoy the practical life skills of spinning, weaving, knitting etc.

Farmgirl
Gerri

Happiness is in the comfortable companionship of friends.
-Pam Brown

Edited by - weaverchic on Nov 28 2009 06:24:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  2:26:25 PM  Show Profile
I just learned from a spinning friend that some serger thread is poly/wool instead of poly/cotton, so it will have some "stretch" and can be used for plying with wool and superwash singles. She said you have to really read the labels, but it is fairly common in fabric stores. Ooooo... the possibilities!

Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  4:44:30 PM  Show Profile
I have a couple of drop spindles that I've been meaning to get back to-I'll join the guild!

http://www.pluckyfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.mandochicks.com
http://mandolinbabe.net
http://www.mandolinbabe.com
http://www.mtndulcimer.com

@MandolinChick on Twitter
fingerpickin Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

knit1tat2
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Lorna Jean
Pender Nebraska
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  4:40:09 PM  Show Profile  Send knit1tat2 a Yahoo! Message
Hi everyone! Wow, spinning cotton, I've never tried that, and a dear spinner friend told to never try it (because of my lungs). I have spun flax, and love that process, but not as fun as spinning good wool or alpaca, etc.! And hey, Mandolin Chick, you play the dulcimer? Coooooool, love hammered dulcimer especially, but love all those fun instruments! don't play any, but love the music! You know, fibery folks are the neatest, most talanted people!!!! How exciting! If any of you can post pictures of what you're working on, please do! Would love to see you're all doing! Hope you all had a fibery warm and fuzzy Thanksgiving! Lorna Jean

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  05:03:19 AM  Show Profile
My pics of roving and spun yarn are on my flickr page:

lori.brown22

Is there any way to post small pics here from flickr?

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  03:58:43 AM  Show Profile
Hey Ladies! I just opened my etsy shop - come check it out! I have handspuns and hand dyed rovings. I had to do something with all the fiber piling up around here!

http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

knit1tat2
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Lorna Jean
Pender Nebraska
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  12:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Send knit1tat2 a Yahoo! Message
What a quiet group, been gone myself for a month. Hard winter so far here in the mid US, and hanging on is about all I can do some days! But I'm still spinning the last of my blue coopworth roving, and on the border pattern of the Civil War Shawl that I'm knitting. Have knit up a sweater from handspun brown wool yarn, and boot socks from a good commercial wool/acrylic blend yarn. So the needles haven't been idle, nor the wheel.
Hope everyone has made it through ok, and I'm looking forward to spring shearing! Lorna Jean

Go to Top of Page

knit1tat2
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Lorna Jean
Pender Nebraska
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  12:44:35 PM  Show Profile  Send knit1tat2 a Yahoo! Message
Hi, wow this has been a quiet thread! I've been busy and created a web site, and as most everyone knows, it's been a hard winter! Check out my website if you'd like, have some fun and explore it, than come back and tell me what you thought! http://northwindfarm.webs.com
Thanks, Lorna Jean

Go to Top of Page

child in harmony
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Marcia
Middleboro MA
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  12:09:22 PM  Show Profile
Learning to spin is on my *To Do* list. I would love to be a listener on this group until I get started. I have five angora rabbits and I have been saving their dreamy fiber .. until I learn what to do with it :)

~marcia

www.childinharmony.com

"Enriching,nurturing and inspiring Life with nature,animals
and the arts .. for the child and the child within"
Go to Top of Page

child in harmony
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Marcia
Middleboro MA
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  12:21:23 PM  Show Profile
Lorna Jean,
I LOVE your goal of Northwind Farm . . . beautiful. BTW, what are those cages for? rabbits?

~marcia

www.childinharmony.com

"Enriching,nurturing and inspiring Life with nature,animals
and the arts .. for the child and the child within"
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  3:06:37 PM  Show Profile
I wish I had angora rabbits. Hubby has been purchasing sheep for a fiber herd for me, but has put his foot down when it comes to rabbits. We used to raise dwarf rabbits, and he hates the smell.

Been spinning lately, but going to basketball practice and games for the boys mostly. I am ready to get back in front of my wheel. I was doing pretty good about turning out a yarn a day for my etsy shop, then the b-ball season started, and now it is all I can do to keep them fed and in clean clothes!

Has anyone tried to teach a teenager to spin? My daughter will soon be 15 and wants to learn, but I am afraid I don't have enough patience.

Go to Top of Page

weaverchic
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

gerri
Largo Florida
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  5:42:58 PM  Show Profile
Lori my suggestion for teaching your daughter is starting her off on a drop spindle. Give her a spindle along with some fair quality fiber and allow her to make yarn in this manner. Begin by teaching her how to prepare the fiber for spinning. Once she masters that technique she will understand the draw on the wheel. I know that teaching a teenager along with new spinners is just about the same. They have to begin somewhere and the spindle is portable enough that she can practice any where.

gerri

Happiness is in the comfortable companionship of friends.
-Pam Brown
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  04:37:27 AM  Show Profile
We will be shearing our new flock of sheep soon! I can't wait to get my hands on their fiber! My husband also has a lead on several Jacob sheep and maybe even some Cotswold that the owner will trade out the fiber for the shearing - I am so excited.

How has everyone been doing? Getting much spinning done? I recently learned to core wrap a yarn. Now I have spun a bunch of it and I need to find a project to use it for.

www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  08:35:55 AM  Show Profile
I can not speak for others but between birthing season for my fiber goats and just keeping up with order/custom work I just have not had time to keep up with postings. I have been dyeing some fiber the past couple of weeks so I can get to the carding machine. I have some spinning lined up (Musk Ox and Silk) my fingers are itching to get going - so so so soft and such sheen. My heart flutters everytime I walk past it.

Soon when the weather permits I will start shearing my Angora's - such lovely locks. I have already plucked two of the Cashmere does who blew out early. Soon I will be up to my ears - what a wonderful problem...

Happy Spinning All

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic starting a spinning cyber guild Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page