herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  7:17:00 PM  Show Profile
I just bought a pizza stone at "Big Lots" per a farmgal who said that they had them cheap. It truely was! $10.00 and it has the metal rack to set it on the table on. It says that you don't have to season it, but a lot of you said that you seasoned yours. Are there pros and cons for doing this? And why do you suppose they dismissed this part?
Judy

Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  7:45:34 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
I have a stone that came with instructions to use it without seasoning. The most specific instructions were to avoid washing with soap of any kind because the stone will absorb the soap and flavor the food as the heat releases moisture from the stone.
To clean mine, I use very hot water and a plastic scraper. Sometimes I'll lay a towel over the surface (my stone won't lay flat in the sink, so I leave it tilted, covered with the towel and run hot water over the towel, let it sit for a while with the hot towel, remove the towel, then scrape the stone with the plastic scraper and the stuck-on-stuff comes right off.
What you'll find after much use is the oils from foods will season it over time. My stone is really discolored from years of use, but I've gotten over how it looks because it works so well. It's very dark from the cooked on oils.
Pizzas go directly on the stone, biscuits, cookies, you name it, they don't stick if I leave the stone in the oven while it preheats. If the stone isn't hot, foods will stick!
I love mine and hope that you'll have excellent results with yours also!

Say to them, may the Lord bless you and protect you, May the Lord smile upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace. (Numbers 6:23-26)

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

Edited by - MasterGardener on Nov 03 2009 07:07:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  05:47:08 AM  Show Profile
Yep, what Chandra said. I seasoned mine, much like I would a cast iron pan. I like mine, it's rectangular, but I have to admit I rarely use it for pizza. That's sortof weird, right?

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  07:37:47 AM  Show Profile
Chandra said it well.

I have several flat stones and bakers. They had come from Pampered Chef. A friend of mine sold PC and would let me now when things were on sale.
Love them. Know I have had some for 12+ years now. Black as can be but thats a good thing. I bake all my cookies on them and don't grease a thing. One thing I remember from the bookelets that come with them is that the first few times you use them they said to spray it or make a hight fat food to start the seasoning process.
You might be able to go on the PC web site for more information on stones.
I store 2 of mine in the oven all the time.

Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  08:23:33 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Hey DiAnn, mine are from PC also, one large, one small & I store them in the oven too, very convenient. Great product!

Say to them, may the Lord bless you and protect you, May the Lord smile upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace. (Numbers 6:23-26)

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  1:15:55 PM  Show Profile
Thanks gals! Ya, it did say to store it in the oven and leave it in there even if you are using another pan, just so it would continue seasoning while other foods cook in there. Interesting. So, it doesn't hold food flavors from one item to the next? Such as cinnamon rolls one time and plain biscuits the next? Can't you taste the other flavors? It does say not to make garlic or onion(anything) on it to aviod bleed-over flavor(I made that word up)hahaha Thanks Chandra, I like that way of washing. Makes it simple to get food off. And no Jonni, I don't think it's weird at all not to make pizza on it because, there again, I would think spilled-over garlic juice or tomato sauce would leave a taste residue that you wouldn't really want on, say, your next batch of cinny-buns.Am I right?
Judy

Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pizza Stone Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page