Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Please- help me with bread recipes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Please- help me with bread recipes Next Topic  

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  07:41:23 AM  Show Profile
I have tried so many different bread recipes and they seem to all turn out heavy and a bit doughy. I'm trying to bake my own bread and use it for sandwiches for lunches. Everything I have tried is just too heavy- does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you for your help!

Lori

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9329 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9329 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  07:50:15 AM  Show Profile
Lori,
I will email you the recipe I use. Do you knead your dough in a mixer or by hand?

God is good....all the time.
Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  07:58:11 AM  Show Profile
always by hand- and I don't use a bread machine either, just my own hard work and my oven. thank you for your help!!
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  08:28:57 AM  Show Profile
Lori, don't know where you live, but, altitude will make a differance in your breads final result.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  08:52:57 AM  Show Profile
So will type of flour.

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  08:53:11 AM  Show Profile
Wisconsin- I just can't seem to find the best recipe for my family. thank you for your help everyone!
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  10:32:29 AM  Show Profile
What kind of bread are you making? Whole wheat, white, rye? What type does your family like best?

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  1:15:28 PM  Show Profile
white and wheat!
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  1:53:05 PM  Show Profile
What kind of flour are you using? All Purpose flour doesn't make the best bread. Here is my standard white bread recipe - I use unbleached flour made from Montana Hard Red Wheat.

White Bread

2 cups lukewarm water (you can substitute milk, or half milk and water, or potato water saved from boiling your potatoes)
1/3 cup oil (canola is what I use)
1/3 cup of sugar (you can substitute honey)
1 Tablespoon yeast
1 Tablespoon salt
5 1/2 to 6 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1 egg (for egg wash glaze)

I always "proof" my yeast (mix the yeast with 1/4 c lukewarm water and 1 tsp sugar - set aside to let rise until bubbly and foamy)

In a large bowl, mix water, oil, sugar, salt and proofed yeast mixture. Start adding the flour - I usually begin with 4 to 5 cups and mix until well incorporated. When it becomes difficult to mix with a spoon, oil your hands and continue to mix the flour in by kneading it with your hands. The dough should be slightly sticky and tender (too much flour will make the dough feel dry and tough) Knead until smooth on an oiled board (I usually just spray with non-stick spray) Spray your bowl and put your dough in the bowl, spray the dough. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and a tea towel and let rise until double. (If you are in a hurry or the house is cold, you can heat your oven on the lowest setting while you are mixing your dough and then shut the oven off. Place the dough in the warm oven to rise. This works best with a stoneware bowl - metal bowls get to hot for this method)

Don't over knead your dough when you take it out of the bowl. I knead it as little as possible on the second go round. Knead it on the oiled board just enough to break up any big bubbles. I find that just forming the loaf usually takes care of most of them so I don't knead it much. At this point, if you want loaf bread for sandwiches, divide the dough in half and form each half into a loaf and place in a greased loaf pan. If you want what I call family bread (what we eat with stew or spaghetti) then grease a large cookie sheet and make one large loaf. Let the loaf bread rise to the top of the pan. Let the family bread loaf rise only slightly.
(I slash the family loaf on the diagonal several slashes when I put it on the pan. When the slashes start to pull apart to about a 1/2" it's ready to bake) Beat the egg with a little water and brush on the loaves just before baking.

For loaf pans: Preheat oven to 375 and bake about 35 min. Bread is done when it sounds hollow when tapped.

For the family loaf: Place in oven, turn the oven on to 375 and set the timer for 30 minutes. (this bread finishes rising while the oven pre-heats) Bread is done when it sounds hollow and is golden.

I hope you will try this. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions. The family loaf is the one they won't let me in the door at gatherings without - it's my trademark loaf.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  2:13:12 PM  Show Profile
I started weighing my bread ingredients and it has worked WONDERS!!! I am convinced that that makes a difference. I use the King Arthur 100% whole wheat sandwhich bread recipe. Sometimes I let my machine knead the first round if I'm pressed for time, otherwise, I knead by hand. Both ways work really well.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  2:21:42 PM  Show Profile
King Arthur flour makes a huge difference in bread recipes!

I use an enriched (with eggs and milk) recipe for sandwich bread.

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  3:31:29 PM  Show Profile
I used the King Arthur when I made the MJ starter bread, but right now I have just been using all purpose. I have been making notes- thank you for all of the insight- I'll keep trying!!
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  3:53:15 PM  Show Profile
Lori, all purpose, is not all purpose, it just does not work well for bread. When you say its heavy and doughy, is it over, under or just right when it comes to the crust, are you useing glass or metal, what temp are yopu useing and where in the oven are you putting the bread to cook. Are you sure your oven temp is accurate, are you sure your yeast is good. Sorry so many questions, but without answers and not being there, its hard to figure out the problem.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  07:07:57 AM  Show Profile
I use King Arthur flour sometimes, but I'm lucky enough to have a place that I can go and get fresh milled flour. I use that most of the time. I like supporting a Montana farm family and knowing the flour hasn't been sitting in a bag a while.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  06:22:23 AM  Show Profile
I like to use almost anything from King Arthur Flour Company and I also use a lot of Bob's Red Mill. I particularly like the white whole wheat flour from Bob's.

Here is a link I saved a long time ago. Might be helpful to someone and there are a ton of recipes here: http://whatscookingamerica.net/BreadRecipe.htm

Also, I use an old Amish recipe for making the best whole wheat bread on the planet! I hope they don't mind, but I'm sharing the recipe here.

AMISH WHOLE WHEAT BREAD

(This is the recipe exactly as it is in the book)

2 pkgs dry yeast
4 cups warm water
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup honey
2 tsp salt (I use sea salt only)
6 cups whole wheat flour
4 cups white flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water.
Combine butter, molasses, honey and salt and mix well. Add yeast mixture.
Gradually add flours. Turn dough onto floured board and knead until smooth, about 7-10 minutes
Place in an oiled bowl and let rise until double. Punch down. Let dough rest a few minutes
Shape into 4 loaves. Place in oiled bread pans and let rise about 1 hour.
Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes.

Hope you try it and like it. My family always likes it.

-Deb

http://healthtalk.6.forumer.com/index.php

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you'll land amongst the stars. - Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  06:27:51 AM  Show Profile
This is a great video and shows you exactly what to do. This is so easy even my DIL can do it!

No-Knead Ciabatta Bread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX_6l2bmvQI&NR=1

Here's basically the same easy recipe, without the vid.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html?_r=1

-Deb

Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  06:52:58 AM  Show Profile
Since my family started trying to eat a more healthy diet (which flies in the face of the currently touted information) we have been following the WAPF ideas. They are big believers in either sprouted breads or sourdough, as being by far the healthiest. I don't care for sprouted grain breads and find them difficult to secure recipes for and also difficult to make. We really like sourdough bread but I'm not always good about keeping starter. My days are so busy that keeping a starter going is kinda far down on the list of priorities.

My family likes sourdough, though, so I try to make it as often as I can.

-Deb

Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  08:16:59 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for all of everyones suggestions and recipes- I am starting to try new flour and the different recipes. I knew I could turn to the gals here for help. Thank you so VERY much!!
Lori

Edited by - crafter on Nov 04 2009 08:17:20 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Please- help me with bread recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page