Author Holidays: Previous Topic Not A One for Halloween!!!!! Next Topic  

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2009 :  6:35:18 PM  Show Profile
Absolutely NO trick or treaters! I waited patiently with the bowl of candy, pencils, etc... What a bummer! Well, with all the things happening to kids these days, I don't blame the parents for not bringing or letting the kids go out to trick or treat.
How was everyone else's Halloween?
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2009 :  7:01:03 PM  Show Profile
I live too far off the beaten path for kiddos to come trick or treating, but you are right, if I had children, I would not let them go out running around to strange houses. Just too many sickos out there...I'd organize a Halloween block party or something first.

My fun tonight was getting a goat buck un-stuck from portable electric mesh fencing..WEEE!
Tomorrow I'll cut up my pumpkin and cook it down for pies and other goodies. I love fresh pumpkin for my baking, it doesn't taste like the can =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2009 :  7:14:00 PM  Show Profile
My 2 Grandsons, D-in-law and I , hitched up the ponies to a mini wagon, and off we went. Alot of the kids around here ride for trick or treating, so its fun. we go out before its really dark and most around here give homemade goodies, cookies and little cakes, of course fruit and little homemade toys. we have a blast. My son stayed home and gave out our treats, which were candy and carmel apples, along with rice crispy treats. One family had their pygmy goats dressed up as devils, and the 2 girls were in angel costumes, just too cute.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2009 :  7:16:21 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I don't know if we had any trick or treaters at my house this evening. My sister and I took our kiddos out. We did a few blocks of door-to-door trick or treating. Our town has a trick or treat event that the kids go around the square and collect candy from the merchants and city officials, but it's always so crowded. We decided to opt out of that event this year. After going door-to-door for a bit, we went to a Halloween party. The kids got a sack full of candy there, they had a dinner, costume party, karaoke, haunted house and then they went on a haunted hay ride. We all had loads of fun. But feels good to be home.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2009 :  8:34:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Doug and I took Nora to a friends house and we went around about 3 blocks. She had lots of fun and is in bed still in her Cinderella dress hopefully having sweet dreams!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2009 :  05:05:08 AM  Show Profile
We have never gotten any trick or treaters---and I like it that way. When my kids were littler they would saddle up their ponies and take flashlights and off they would go---not too far because when it got dark they would hurry home. All in fun!! MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

bobbinrobin
True Blue Farmgirl

590 Posts

Sharon
Newman Lake WA
USA
590 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2009 :  05:19:11 AM  Show Profile
After 93 children came to our door and our bucket of candy was down to its last 10 pieces, we turned out the lights! Next year we're going to the movies!!!

How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it. -G. Elliston

www.sharnymcclarny.etsy.com
www.bobbinrobin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2009 :  09:00:07 AM  Show Profile
We helped host an open house at the fire station. So my candy and my family were all up there. It was such fun!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2009 :  10:35:05 AM  Show Profile
Between the wagon rides, the hay rides, and just being able to smell Annika's pumpkin pie, well... I'd love to do them all if I were a kid. I am so hungary for punkin pie now, Annika! You are so right, a homemade pumkin pie is so, so, so much better than a can-made pumpking pie. Alee: Did Nora get a lot of candy, apples, etc... If so, maybe y'all can share the apples with your horse. And Sharon, 93 trick or treaters?????? I wish I could see that many. I'd be so excited just to see all the costumes.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2009 :  1:43:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Marly- We only trick or treated for about half an hour so not too much candy and no apples. But we have apples here at the house and I am thinking of making some homemade carmel YUMM!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2009 :  2:46:13 PM  Show Profile
Teresa, that sounds like one very fun night! Actually homemade treats too. Riding around for Halloween must be so much fun.It sounds like a real old fashioned Halloween where everyone is safe and has great memories.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2009 :  2:58:23 PM  Show Profile
We had only one kid come to our house. Our subdivision consists of large acre + sized lots, so we are far apart from each other. Our house is on a hill and I find most kids don't want to climb it! We also have a lot of empty nesters in our sub, so that doesn't help either. I think including our little boy, that there were only 3 other kids in the entire sub (100 houses) trick or treating yesterday. People were so glad to see my little guy that they kept giving him tons of candy! He doesn't like candy, but he loves seeing the people. I'm doing my best to ignore it and hope it goes away!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

AuntieM
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Marjorie
Holly Springs NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2009 :  8:40:20 PM  Show Profile
Wow! We had probably 75 to 100 kids, all between 7:15 and 8:30! It was just a steady stream of groups of about 8-15 kids at a time. The curfew in our town is 8:30 and by 8:15 I was scrambling around for more candy! I love to see the little kids dressed up and it's quite a difference between here in North Carolina and back in New Jersey. I heard lots of thank yous here, not so much in NJ. But kids are cute wherever they are, and I'm glad we got a lot.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  07:51:05 AM  Show Profile
Mary Jane, I only wish ALL children could feel/be safe enough to be able to go out Trick or Treating in their neighborhoods, it's such a shame that it is not possible anymore.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Not A One for Halloween!!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page