Author Holidays: Previous Topic Real Christmas tree -vs- fake tree Next Topic  

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  6:30:52 PM  Show Profile
ok , this is my silly girl post of the day There is a part of me that has a problem with killing a tree so that I can have Christmas fun with it, but I also don't care much for the artificial ones I've seen...So I'm in a pickle trying to decide...

While trees are farmed and all, I'm trying to make the greener choice here.And I'm something of a noobie to green living.

I'll likely end up killing another tree this year but I'm wondering where all of you stand on the subject?

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  6:36:55 PM  Show Profile
I like real trees. I've only ever had a real tree my whole life. But this year I am thinking about getting one of those ones with a root ball and then planting it for later.

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  6:50:46 PM  Show Profile
I've had a fake one for yrs, it is 4ft tall , pre-lite with white lights, sits on a 18 in dia table that is 36 ins tall, covered with my tree skirt and the presents are on the floor around it. No room for anything bigger, and my only source of heat is my woodstove, and they dry out cut trees way too fast, then they are a huge fire hazard. Live would be nice, but they do not survive my climate. On a note about cut trees, my momma lets them dry out and drop there needles, (after christmas is over and the tree is outside) and uses them for her climbing veggys in the spring, neat re-use and looks cute.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  7:55:52 PM  Show Profile
I am also planning this year to buy a tree that can be planted. I have had an artificial tree in the past, didnt like it. I love a real tree.

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  10:08:58 PM  Show Profile
With hubby's line of work we've always had real (my preference) but, two years ago I got fake and I actually like it ok. I buy one of those plug in air fresheners that smell like "tree" and plug it behind it where the outlet is, at least it smells real....

Warm Wishes
Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
http://jenscountrylife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2009 :  05:21:27 AM  Show Profile
I went artifical many years ago. I love to put up my decorations so early that the tree was dead before xmas arrived. And then when my second son came along, and he has terrible ashma (?), a real tree wouldn't work.

I actually, love having a fake tree. Put it up when I want, take it down when I want. No mess. Still looks pretty. (mine is very realistic looking)

Arttie
Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2009 :  05:57:54 AM  Show Profile
Green choice can be either fresh or fake as far as I see it. While with fresh trees you are indeed removing a growing tree but if you buy a locally cut tree, you are saving all that fuel and carbon emissions. Fake trees are saving a living tree but where do they come from? Usually China and they are made with petroleum products and look at all the fuel it takes to get it to this country, to the stores, to your house. That too though, has it's up side. Look how many people you are helping to feed in the process. The people in China making the product, the shipping employees, the store employees, the fuel producers, the truckers, the gas station employees you buy your gas from to get in the car to go get the fake tree. Ahh yes, commerce. It's what makes the holidays special in some peoples minds.-Hehehe

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2009 :  08:07:50 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
I have had fake trees but love real ones. I bought one with the root to plant later but didnt realize how much water they need and ended up killing BOB(the kids name everything)so I will use the fake tree until the farm is built then plan on getting root ball ones to plant in the yard each year. I think that will be a grand tradition.

Marcy #257

http://marcysmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Real Christmas tree -vs- fake tree Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page