Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Making Bread Next Topic  

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  09:34:00 AM  Show Profile
Making bread has always been a bit of a challenge to me, but today, since we have 6 inches of snow (they said 3, hmm) and I can't get to class an hour away I'm home bound. I'm studying as there is a test on Friday, but with the cooler weather the oven is calling. It also heats up the house nicely. So I dug through my cookbooks and found a recipe for olive bread. What the heck. I just bought flour. There's yeast in the fridge. So now it is rising. I think I need to ask for big bowls for Christmas as the one had had got dirty quick and trying to get it washed fast enough to put the dough back in to rise wasn't going to happen. It's soaking at the moment.

So anyone else snowed in today?

Laurie

Best Growing

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  10:09:21 AM  Show Profile
Not snowed in, but we are wind/dust stormed in, please send some moisture my way, lol. We are also under a freeze warning thru tomorrow at 8am, so its cold.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  10:19:34 AM  Show Profile
Hey Laurie!
Not snowed in, YET, but the schools have been canceled and I'm home. we are sharing the same storm just on different ends of the state. There just seems to be something about a cold snowy day that says, BAKING! After feeding the chickens at 4:30 AM I headed back into the kitchen and started up a crockpot of stew for lunch. The smells are wafting through the house now....my mouth is watering. I'm going to catch up on some sewing and then hit the kitchen and bake up some goodies!
Have fun and stay warm!

Heather

http://homesteadincity.blogspot.com/

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  3:00:37 PM  Show Profile
No snow yet or NO rain. Just bitter cold wind... Yuck!

Warm Wishes
Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
http://jenscountrylife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  4:14:59 PM  Show Profile
Hey Laurie :)

We woke up to 2 inches and it's still snowing. Forecast is for 3 more this evening.

My honey got the woodstove going, I have bread rising and chili simmering :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  5:39:43 PM  Show Profile
No snow yet, but loads of rain. I decided to start my holiday cookies early. Problem is, we eat them (the smells are so-o-o enticing) and none have gone into the freezer yet.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  7:51:44 PM  Show Profile
Ah snow! Yes, as I gaze out my window to 14+ inches and it's still coming down. Looks like all us Colorado gals are having a snow day for sure! I'm just hoping they close up work tomorrow and then I can bake some cookies!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  07:14:37 AM  Show Profile
We topped off at 6 inches, but it is spitting again this morning. So Last night I did applesauce - yummy! 10 quarts to add to the larder.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  10:50:33 AM  Show Profile
well I too am making bread today. but it's sunny and 70. Which is cold for me! my parents were born and raised in buffalo NY, but I've been here in southern california my whole life. they call me a lizard, heh.

all this to say, it's cold enough for me to make bread too! So yummy, can't wait till this evening, me and the DH are dropping the kids off and I'm taking him on a date. A picnic in the mountains! yay! complete with home made bread and warm tea from a thermos. three cheers for cooler weather!

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  11:13:57 AM  Show Profile
It's kind of cold here and I noticed that the horses had little moisture balls on the ends of their haircoats, not wet hair, just kind of sitting on top. I didn't knock it off, just left it.

I'm going to make banana bread today. The 'nanny's are just about right and I have a killer recipe. Yummy!!

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Making Bread Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page