Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Miniature goats - good for backyard?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Miniature goats - good for backyard? Next Topic  

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2009 :  12:47:52 PM  Show Profile
I'm sure my husband would pitch a fit but I'd sure love to know more about miniature goats. How much land do they need? Would a garden shed convert well to a mini-barn? I assume they would need a buddy but what else do they need to be happy?

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2009 :  2:06:48 PM  Show Profile
Lots of climbing toys, garden shed would be fine, and yes, 2 would be happier than one. An acre of good pasture or just feed them store bought.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2009 :  5:03:41 PM  Show Profile
Pygmy goat are just so much fun. I have 2 Pygoras--a cross between a Pygmy and an Angora. They think they are dogs and just follow. I have a 10x20 pen I keep them in or when we are outside the get to join us. They love to go feed the horses and eat hay with them and clean up all the leaves on the ground and play with the dogs. They do love to climb like Teresa said. They are very sweet tempered. I got them for fiber goats so I have to brush them and pull them. Do anyone have plans on how to build a goat stand? MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Edited by - Marybeth on Oct 27 2009 5:04:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  8:08:23 PM  Show Profile
nigerians are smaller boned than the pygmys and are just great. I just love mine. A shed would work great for there house. Mine has an oversized large dog house and it has worked for 3 years now. They do get dog like and walk around with you and love treats and do love to climb on things too. Real cuties!!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  8:48:44 PM  Show Profile
Oh KimberlyAnn,
Check out Bev-beehavenmaven's blog for her goats & funny goat & chicken stories....
http://www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com
my daughter has 2 goats and they have heated water bowls and a "goat barn" for their critters. I have a pic on my blog,,,you'll have to scroll down to see it..possibly under the 'older posts'...
have fun & good luck in talking your hubby into goats. Which by the way goats are sweet, funny, social and they think they are human and want treats all the time! lol!

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  10:47:32 PM  Show Profile
I have had both pygmy and nigerian dwarf goats over the years...just prefered the big gals when I had more space. I agree that the garden shed would work fine..and really you don't need tons of space but you DO need a great fence. Smaller goats can practically climb fences. Start with great fences and it will save you alot of headaches! A sheep can be a pal for a goat too. They don't like to be alone and will be loud sometimes..and lonely...if alone. I love goat personalities! YOu could consider angora goats too. They arn't much bigger than mini goats and you have that lovely mohair fiber.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sacredwolf
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Kristy
Narka Kansas
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  08:13:43 AM  Show Profile  Click to see sacredwolf's MSN Messenger address  Send sacredwolf a Yahoo! Message
I have four pygmy goats right now (three nannies and one buck) and I love them. My husband was always against getting pygmy goats for the longest time but now he also loves them. A garden shed will work great as a housing structure for them. My pygmies run with the rest of my Bohr herd and even a donkey. They eat almost as much as the big girls. when it is close to birthing time we separate them to another area. They seem to do well about anywhere we move them. We do not give ours toys to jump on because they have lots of natural logs and trees. If they won't have natural object to cure there jumping fetish you will need to provide some objects to help with that. Remember though whatever you give them you are teaching them it is ok to jump on. Two goats are always better then one or else they will get really lonely. Hope your husband gives in, you will not regret your chose.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Miniature goats - good for backyard? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page