Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Cheap recipes for college student?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cheap recipes for college student? Next Topic  

Radar_Fish
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Felicia
Moscow ID
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  7:08:03 PM  Show Profile
As some of you know, I'm in college and living in my first apartment. I help to buy groceries with my three room mates, but I don't eat many of them because of the preservatives. I'm allergic to random ones, though I don't know what they are, so it's pretty much a guessing game lol, so I've had to go with foods that are more natural or organic.

So, I was wondering... does anybody have ideas for cheap recipes for a poor college student who's allergic to some preservatives? I mostly have to ignore commercial dairy products, but Daisy sour cream, as it has nothing but grade A cultured cream, anything with MSG or artificial sweeteners.

I'm making this difficult, aren't I? lol

"I believe with all my heart that every one of us has a purpose in life."
-Bill Kaulitz 05/2/07 Oberhausen, Germany

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  9:01:42 PM  Show Profile
Bean and veggie dishes are good.

I make a casserole with lentils and chicken broth simmered with onions and red bell peppers. Add some oregano. Finish it with cheese.

Rice and veggies is a good combo. One rice dish is steamed rice with green chili and black olives. You make a sauce for it, (sort or like a mac n cheese type thing) with sour cream and cheese.

Pasta and veggies is always good.

I would think about getting your hands on a cheap crock pot. You can make a lot of really inexpensive things in there. I use a crockpot to cook beans all the time. I love pintos cooked all day in the pot with bacon. Yummo.
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  9:09:34 PM  Show Profile
Felicia---where is my mother when ya need her. She wrote a cookbook for college students on the cheap. And since we grew up in a non-perservative home it was full of good recipes. I will see if she still has a copy around. Don't hold your breath. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Edited by - Marybeth on Oct 26 2009 9:10:45 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cheap recipes for college student? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page