WednesdaysChild
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Mandy
Suncheon
Korea
33 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  09:20:10 AM  Show Profile
#1. I was wondering if anyone has a "home remedy"/recipe for clearing up acne that doesn't involve ordering organic soap from a website or "finding one locally" (as I dont speak the local language here). I've tried honey and cinnamon paste, but it was not very practical in the extremely messy department (even though it seemed to be healing). I've tried tonnes of tea tree products. I've tried every drug-store cleanser/cream, and even prescription treatments for adult acne. It seems nothing can defeat it. It is quite depressing, and much worse since I've moved to S. Korea, as the food here is very anti-oxidant-y and the hot spices want to constantly purge the system.

#2. I also wonder about home remedies/treatments for dry scalp. Having tried every product and a number of homemade oil treatments for "dandruff" and psoriasis to no avail, and concluding I must not have dandruff/psoriasis since nothing affected it. I do have extremely dry skin though, and the scalp is one place you can't apply the Vaseline Intensive Care. So I'm assuming my scalp flakes and itches because the rest of my skin would do the same without lotion. Using heavy mosturising shampoo, no shampoo, or extra conditioner doesn't seem to be helpful either. I use only water based shampoo/conditioner (as opposed to wax-based), and no hair styling products at all. Once again, I'd love to discover a home remedy that doesn't involve ordering online products, due to the extra shipping for international stuff, and the difficulty getting organic things through customs.

Appreciating anything you might be able to suggest,
Mandy
<3

A Canadian farmgirl in S. Korea.

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  09:51:46 AM  Show Profile
Hi Mandy.

South Korea! What an adventure!

I have had trouble with adult acne too. I tried nearly everything and helped put a dermatologist's kids through college but nothing really helped much. Then, when I went to a plastic surgeon to have a mole removed from my cheek, he taught me things the dermatologist never mentioned! I guess they don't make any money by curing us.

The most important thing I learned is that Iodine is the major cause of acne. Many skin experts now believe that we get too much Iodine. People with Iodine difficiencies get goiters so we use Iodized Salt but the current thinking is that we have over compensated. As a matter of fact, the plastic surgeon told me that when they want to get a raging case of acne going, in a test subject, for research purposes, they will have the test subject overdose on Iodine suppliments.

Iodine is found in huge concentrations in Potatoes, Onions, and Asparagus. Also in other root vegetables. And it depends where they are grown. If the Iodine content of the soil is high, more will get into the vegetable. Most multi-vitamins also contain far too much Iodine.

At first, I switched to a different vitamin and completely removed foods with a high concentration of Iodine from my diet. I stuck with this for eight weeks. MY ACNE CLEARED UP COMPLETELY. Now, I do eat a little onion or potato occassionally if I am eating out but I stay completely away from potato skins or the larger outer part of the onion because the concentration of Iodine is highest in the part of the food which was closest to the soil while growing.

I do get the occassional pimple now and then and if I have had a sinus infection, I will get a break out, but this is nothing like before and for the most part my skin is clear.

My doctor also recommended using very light skin peels. The kind you can do at home. This is to keep the tops of your pores open so that nothing gets trapped in there. I do this about four times a year. Unfortunatly, the product I use is something I order off the web so I'm not sure how much this info will help you but it is "Physician's Choice #37."

You might just give this a try. I wish I could help with the scalp issue but I don't have any experience with it.

Good Luck,
Lucinda

P.S. I am a big fan of the "Blythe" doll. Do you ever see them in toy shops there? I'm just living vicariously

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  10:10:01 AM  Show Profile
This is a hard one since I'm not sure what you'll be able to find there. After the face peels that Lucinda recommended your could use a little witchazel it's an astringant so it will pull the dirt out of those newly open pores. When I take my Flax oil regularly I don't get pimples but if I don't than they start to show up again. Don't know if you can get flax oil there, you probably can get fish oil though. I have very dry scalp also and I use jojoba oil on it the night before I wash my hair in the morning, not sure if you'll find jojoba oil there either. Any kind of Vitamin A (aka Retinol)cream should also help with the acne. I could probably look up some chinese herbs when I get home and you could find someone to tranlate for you so you could find some herbs there that may help. Let me know.. Hope this helps a little.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com
www.smallsqrl.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

WednesdaysChild
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Mandy
Suncheon
Korea
33 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  6:32:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for your response sqrl & Lucinda! (I'm always nervous starting my own topic.) :p I will definately try out this iodine avoiding thing! Funny because I have to load up on salt for low blood pressure, so I've been getting lots of it. Maybe sea salt wouldn't have the iodine? There are actually quite a few western products for sale here, (and sometimes even products with English on them!) so I think I could actually find a peel to try and even witch hazel. I'll do anything at this point. I had forgotten about jojoba oil, we couldn't get it where I lived before, but maybe they have it here. When I am desperate for something I can go to a translator website, enter in "a word" and have it come up in Korean characters. I can copy it and cross my fingers it's the one I mean.

Thanks so much for taking the time with your advice!

Mandy

Go to Top of Page

WednesdaysChild
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Mandy
Suncheon
Korea
33 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  6:34:23 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by thehouseminder

P.S. I am a big fan of the "Blythe" doll. Do you ever see them in toy shops there? I'm just living vicariously

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

You know Lucinda, I have never heard of the Blythe doll. What is it?

Mandy

Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  07:19:41 AM  Show Profile
I use a lot of apple cider vinegar for my face and scalp along with jojoba or coconut oil. For my face after washing with either water or mild soap I use an astringent of witch hazel and apple cider vinegar. That has helped a lot. I don't use commercial stuff anymore. I was like you and tried EVERYTHING and nothing seems to work. Since switching to all natural, I've seen a big difference. I still get the occasional pimple, usually around 'that' time though and that can't really be avoided . Then I moisturized with either jojoba or coconut oil. Don't be afraid to try oils on your face, the right kinds WILL NOT clog your pores and is very helpful to your skin.

As far as my scalp, I do what sqrl does with jojoba oil. I massage warm oil into my scalp and let is sit for a while, 15-20 min or so. Then I wash with a VERY mild shampoo...I've been using Giovanni-don't know if you can get that there but highly recommend it. After shampooing I use an ACV (apple cider vinegar) rinse. I use about 1/2-1 tbs. per cup of water and rinse my hair and scalp. It helps to remove all the shampoo residue, helps control the fungus that causes dandruff, and makes your hair unbelievably shiney. You will smell like vinegar until your hair dries, but it goes away-I promise. Then I condition and rinse with plain water. I haven't done it recently and my head is starting to act up again. I notice if I'm consistent with it-I don't have a problem. Good luck!!

Edited by - lonestargal on Mar 22 2006 07:21:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  08:48:04 AM  Show Profile
Hi Mandy,

Just want to wish you luck with your skin. The label on the salt you by should indicate whether it is "Iodized" or not but, of course, if it is not in English, that could be difficult to figure out.

I felt a little silly asking you about the doll but here it goes.

The "Original" Blythe Doll was created by Kenner and was only on the market in 1973. She had a Skipper sized body (the original Barbie's little sister) and a head about the size of an orange. She had sort of a pensive look and you could change her eyes by pulling a string at the back of her head. She had four different eye colors: two of the colors looked forward and two were "side glancing."

She scared some little kids, including my brother, but I found her appealing.

Now, a whole new line of Blythes is being produced by Hasbro but I only know of three which were ever for sale in the US. One is sold by Amazon.com (toysrus.com) and the other two are sold by fredflare.com. Mostly, they are sold in Japan, Hong Kong, and Korea.

I have managed to get my hands on four different ones but I had to have a friend bring them from Japan. I like to knit and sew outfits for them (SO, I'm a Geek. What can I say?).

You can see some pictures at:
http://www.squeakymonkey.com/gallery.html
OR
http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTblythe.html

Lucinda

Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  08:02:03 AM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
check out the thread in make it easy about making your own shampoo.... follow the link, there is some great info on those sites abouut dry skin and acne! good luck!

-Tami
now ladybugsmom7
Go to Top of Page
  *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Acne & Dry Scalp Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page