sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  07:15:24 AM  Show Profile
i read the books on it. i want to be sure she is ok. giger needs to be dried off now. the book says stop milking and she will dry off. one book says to inject today in teats and put a dip on them. i can do that i have the product. i skipped milking last night. now i was going to milk this am since she is so full in am. then once a day milking for a few days then stop not sure. its been years since i have done this. any input would be helpful. she is a large producer and want to protect her through this. thanks sherrye

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  07:26:02 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I also read that you are to stop milking and she will dry up. and then in another book I read where you are to milk her but leave some milk in her udder. I always thought that it was not good to just stop milking your goat. Maybe someone else with help us out.
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  08:29:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would suggest switching to once a day milking for at least a week and leave a little milk behind. Each time you milk leave a little more and a little more and by the end of the second week she should have a much reduced milk production so she should be able to dry off without discomfort. You could also, if you are worried about it go to an every other day milking and then let her dry off from there.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  09:01:29 AM  Show Profile
I have always (with goats and now with my cow) gone to once a day for a time (months usually) and then go down to every other day and then if the milk produced is really reduced from that I feel that I can just stop. I never just stop..seems like it would be way too painful for them. I go at least 2 weeks at once a day and a week at every other day..much easier on the goat. It is hard to just stop even then..but it does work.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  1:11:20 PM  Show Profile
thanks girls, i like the one time a day for awhile then cut back more. she was not milked last night and this morning she gave a gallon and a little bit. i think she is the greatest.so much fun. i will let you know how she does. sherrye
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4272 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4272 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  4:08:26 PM  Show Profile
Don't forget to cut her grain way back too, and not give the best hay either.
My other thought is Today is for mastitis, and Tomorrow is dry cow treatment. Not sure about using Today as a dry cow treatment, but maybe it is okay??? Should say dry GOAT treatment :)

Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2009 :  07:26:22 AM  Show Profile
oh michele, thank you for your thoughtful question. i am learning everyday. i did not know there was such a product. i will buy the tomorrow treatment. i am milking her once a day in am now. she is bursting in the am when i go to milk her. thing is its time to stop for her and me. so once she settles to once a day i will stop. thanks farmgirls sherrye
Go to Top of Page

sacredwolf
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Kristy
Narka Kansas
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  1:46:03 PM  Show Profile  Click to see sacredwolf's MSN Messenger address  Send sacredwolf a Yahoo! Message
I agree with everyone's posts on here. It seems like you are getting a lot of really good help on here. I always go down to one time a day and leave milk behind with every milking. This usually only takes me about two weeks before she is ready to stop being milked. I did not realize that so many other people did that but I glad that they do. No one that I know around here does that. I have always done that because I breast feed all of my kids and no how it feels to dry up, so I guess I always had Mercury on my goats.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  2:22:39 PM  Show Profile
hi kristy, from kansas. i am doing as suggested and agree with the pain issue. back when i had my first son no one nursed. my mom wrapped me in sheets tight to stop the overpouring of milk. crazy i say now. i nursed my other 3 boys. so ginger is on once a day. she is now down to 3/4 gallon now. the dogs will miss her milk for sure. she is a great goat. i am working on getting her ai. she is a registered lamanche. so looking for semen. welcome to the farm girl site i love it. so much support and help
Go to Top of Page

sacredwolf
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Kristy
Narka Kansas
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  5:53:14 PM  Show Profile  Click to see sacredwolf's MSN Messenger address  Send sacredwolf a Yahoo! Message
Thank you so much for welcoming me. This is my first day on this site and I am loving it. I also love lamanches that is the first breed of milk goat that I had but she was cross bred and only milked good for four months. I just posted my first post to ask opinions on a breed to buy. I have a Nubian right now and would like to buy a different breed. I am not going to give up my Nubian because she is sweetheart but the milk is a little goaty for my taste. My sister in-law has Nubians to and there milk is the same. My lamanches milk was not as goaty. I am hoping to get more ensite from people who have had more experience with goat milk then I have. Once again thank you for the welcome!
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic drying up a goat?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page